General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
The basics dont seem to be so clear
Posted by: Gentleman_1
Date: September 11, 2008 01:31PM

I am trying K meleon for the first in hope that it is easier than IE but when I tried to save an image or a video file they are saved in a PHP format. I couldnt find anything in the preferences to change that. This should be an easy and straight forward matter to save in a photo or video format. What is the catch??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The basics dont seem to be so clear
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 11, 2008 02:52PM

Not nessesarily all aspects are easier - but K-Meleon = faster (2X for many things) and more modern than IE 6/7. K-Meleon can save basic picture formats (that are the default settings).

The menus are context sensitive in some cases K-Meleon opens differnt/extra menus on right click e.g. when You are over a picture that is a link.

For some video formats You need dedicated helper programs such as download Orbit downloader (an adapter is at K-Meleon Extension Page). K-Meleon uses so called Netscape plugins e.g. for some content - e.g. Adobe Flash Player You find further info via Mozilla plugins page for Windows.

Microsoft stopped supporting Netscape plugins for IE with SP2 for IE_5.5. IE and its shells (e.g. Maxton) uses MS activeX architecture now. To make MS some activeX components usable You need an adapter that is also at K-Meleon Extension Page. By default it is set to use only Windows Media Player... But You can alter that via acrivsX.js. The adapter installs it inside ./K-Meleon/defaults.

All non IE browsers use Netscape plugins (Firefox, Safari, Opera...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2008 02:52PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 11, 2008 04:10PM

gentleman, if you're trying to save contents on a page and they appear as php, that's because this is how the page is coded in an attmept to protect copyrighted material.. if you test that specific page with other browsers; you'll find out you will get the same php extension when saving images or other media.

to test out, right-click on kmeleon's logo at the top-left, save image as will show a gif extension.

Posted by: Gentleman_1
Date: September 12, 2008 05:30AM

So I have to go through all that trouble of finding and installing plugins to do something I do with 1 click in IE ? Dont you think this is really troublesome. With IE I dont get that php problem at all and I can download any pic or video I want in just 1 click. This is really a big limitation to K meleon..unfortunatly.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 12, 2008 07:00AM

can you provide a link to where you're having problems saving images and popping as php?

Posted by: Arrow
Date: September 12, 2008 12:30PM

Gentleman_1
So I have to go through all that trouble of finding and installing plugins to do something I do with 1 click in IE ?

No there shouldn't be any trouble and no need to install plugins to download images.

Right click on image / save image as

Can you save this?
http://www.photopixels.com/nature/pages/7-3-2004-14.html

jpg name = 7-3-2004-14.jpg

or if you use Hao's ccfme versions of k-meleon they have a quick save
facility. Hold down ctrl as you left click on the image and it is automatically saved to a predetermined directory of your choice.

An improvement that could be made as a default feature for official K-M is to distinguish the save image as menu entry for easy recognition
and also to incorporate the quicksave option

To make it perfect include the option of Ctrl+Alt+Left click to open
the rename download option before saving - as in TheworldBrowser [TW browser uses alt + left click for auto quicksave without renaming]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2008 12:39PM by Arrow.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 12, 2008 01:47PM

Gentleman_1
So I have to go through all that trouble of finding and installing plugins to do something I do with 1 click in IE ?

What is the point of waiting at least twice as long for IE just to do it with one click finally grinning smiley

In spite of the initial investment of time You gain surfing time after only a few hours. IMHO this gain is worth the effort since all modern browsers are much faster than IE and all use these plugins. Apple has a page for downloading the most essential plugins. So there is no trouble finding. They will work for K-Meleon.

Gentleman_1
Dont you think this is really troublesome.

It is troublesome. But K-Meleon team is not responsible for the plugins that MS ships (or does not ship) with its OS. No Netscape plugin support for IE (thus no Netscape plugins shipped by default) is one of the things MS "altered"(sabotaged) to win the 1st browser war.

MS wanted that users like You complain about other browsers lack of plugins and stick with IE. It is up to You whether MS proves right smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.