General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Next K-Meleon version?
Posted by: MrBeanz
Date: April 03, 2012 05:08PM

When will be the next official stable version of K-meleon going to release?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next K-Meleon version?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 05, 2012 05:58PM

No one really knows when or if there will be a new version. Changes at Mozilla and the lack of an active C++ programmer have made KM's future very uncertain.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: abandonware
Date: April 10, 2012 08:17AM

MrBeanz
When will be the next official stable version of K-meleon going to release?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,119474

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,119312,119314#msg-119314

Bottom line: K-M is at EOL. It will not resurrect unless a willing c++ dev picks up the project (which is highly unlikely, though). So you can use K-M at at your own risk or go find yourself a modern browser.

Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: April 16, 2012 12:34PM

I keep returning to the forums, hoping to hear that someone has awakened the project. But sadly, it seemes as dead as OS/2. Last Novemember I switched to Seamonkey, which is quite fast and uses a modern Gecko Engine like Firefox. I was using K-Meleon 1.6b2 for nearly two years, but without any updates, I started noticing that I was missing items in pages that easily showed up in Internet Explorer 8. So I switched to Seamonkey.

Hopefully someone will revive the project and release a complete version of K-Meleon v1.7 with a current Gecko or even WebKit engine. v1.7 has only been in Alpha now for what? Two, three hundred years now?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Thornhill, Ontario)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 16, 2012 04:25PM

Jody Thornton
I keep returning to the forums, hoping to hear that someone has awakened the project. But sadly, it seemes as dead as OS/2. Last Novemember I switched to Seamonkey, which is quite fast and uses a modern Gecko Engine like Firefox. I was using K-Meleon 1.6b2 for nearly two years, but without any updates, I started noticing that I was missing items in pages that easily showed up in Internet Explorer 8. So I switched to Seamonkey.

Hopefully someone will revive the project and release a complete version of K-Meleon v1.7 with a current Gecko or even WebKit engine. v1.7 has only been in Alpha now for what? Two, three hundred years now?

Jody,

IF you want the latest 3.6.xxx engine, then Fred's version is the one to use. It has its issues, but it is usable. Personally, I use FF 11 as my backup browser and I use it the old-fashioned way with the "Open In Browser" KMM macro on a right click with my mouse. PSI still says that KM 1.6 b2 is safe, but that can't last forever.

FWIW, it would be a shame to lose KKO's magnificient rewrite of the KM scripting language. For my tastes and needs, it works better than Firefox's XUL XPI extensions, not to mention that whenever I have needed something special fast, I just ask here and several of the KM coders have always come through for me in almost nano-time with macros that do what I asked for. <SIGH>

N

Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: July 28, 2012 04:33PM

I finally got around to trying this custom version. It does render most sites very well, albeit a tad slower than Seamonkey. Now is there a way to get the password manager functioning?

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 04, 2012 01:14AM

Jody Thornton
I finally got around to trying this custom version. It does render most sites very well, albeit a tad slower than Seamonkey. Now is there a way to get the password manager functioning?

Jody,

My computer died, so am temporarily using other peoples, but if memory serves, the password manager works by copying from your older KM file. What I can't recall is exactly how that process works, in terms of creating the very first numbered file with the S extension. I recall that it works, but not as well as in the original beta 2 version.

Fred?

N

Posted by: Fred
Date: August 06, 2012 08:40PM

About passwords , look at this thread, with the answer of
Jujuland :

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,38619,121214

Fred

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.