General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Ad-ons V Performance
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 12, 2012 09:40PM

I'd appreciate any advice. One of the main reasons for my using KM is its high permormance whilst being resource light. However, I've seen quite a few add-ons that I'd like to add to it as well as a skin. However, my experience with other browsers such as Firefox, is that the addition of ad-ons can greatly slow the browser whilst also raising demand on CPU and RAM while also slowing the speed (even if not actually using the ad-ons). Does the same rule apply with KM and to the same extent?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ad-ons V Performance
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 12, 2012 11:12PM

Add-ons that are just macros do not increase resource usage very much. Add-ons which have executable files I really don't know.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: kmext
Date: April 13, 2012 06:42AM

kmext
will extensions slow my k-meleon?
no. unlike some other gecko-based browsers; K-Meleon uses native windows api, that means it is tightly integrated into your operating system and the extensions- particularly xul extensions that are known to degrade performance in those other browsers- have no affect whatsoever on K-Meleon's performance whether it's startup time or page rendering speed.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/help.htm

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 15, 2012 08:53PM

Thanks everyone smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.