General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
finish downloading tomorrow
Posted by: Mark
Date: October 15, 2008 12:43AM

Does kmeleon allow finish downloading a 150 mb file tomorrow?

I still have dial up and it takes 8 hours to download this huge file and my isp disconnects after 4 hours.I know firefox does this but I just tried this kmeleon browser and it runs smoother than firefox.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish downloading tomorrow
Posted by: caktus
Date: October 15, 2008 01:37AM

On occasion KM will do this for me but I think it depends on the site or mirror that is hosting the file.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Download%20Manager
lists many free download managers that will accomplish this for you. One of them, freedownloadmanager.org if I recall correctly, will let you download several files at once.

Usually when I want to download a very large file I pay a visit to a friend/neighbor who has a broad band connection, as I too am on dialup.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Mark
Date: October 15, 2008 07:16AM

Yes,dsl is nice I had it for a year using the web on an unsecured network,I guess my neighbor had it,I was able to use it for a year until they caught on andsecured their network.No more.Under the bush economy,I just cant afford $600.00 per year for dsl.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 15, 2008 10:54AM

In Spain DSL cost is similar (600€ per year).
Some years ago, I used dial to internet connect but I bought an used laptop with Wifi (300€). Now I access to internet in free spots AP, in Spain wifi free spots AP is growning, it's available in Librarys, Universitys, Market places, Coffes/Bars/Restaurants, fuel stations, ...

Fon community can be a good option: http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 10:55AM by desga2.

Date: October 15, 2008 05:11PM

Here in th US, and UK I think, some dsl is available for about 15-20 dollars if you happen to live in the right part of the country. But usually the download speed is only "up to" 768kbs, and even that speed is only experienced in the middle of the night.

BTW, the Free Download Manager I mentioned also has an easy video downloader, which is great because the ones mentioned in the KM wiki don't seem to work for me for some reason. But the free FLV player offered at http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/
is usually necessary unless you want to pay $20 for Free Download Manager's converter.

Charlie

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 15, 2008 05:43PM

I pay for Telepfone (Calling extra) plus DSL incl. flatrate about 32,- Euro a month.
My ISP (htp) oversells its DSL lines sad smiley = > speed than the nominal up to 750 winking smiley
Here DSL can be cheaper and faster by caple TV - but their mail is no good.

guenter in Hannover near the center of Germany.
I use Orbit for dedicated download-man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 05:47PM by guenter.

Posted by: noob
Date: October 15, 2008 06:29PM

Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does kmeleon allow finish downloading a 150 mb
> file tomorrow?
>
> I still have dial up and it takes 8 hours to
> download this huge file and my isp disconnects
> after 4 hours.I know firefox does this but I just
> tried this kmeleon browser and it runs smoother
> than firefox.

Getting ready to try downloading OpenOffice 3.0 using 56k dialup at US$11.95 per month. Yeah, it'll take awhile.

Posted by: frank
Date: October 15, 2008 07:29PM

If you are in the US and trying to download OpenOffice.org 3.0, find a mirror in the Far East ( Japan, South Korea, Austrailia ) to download from. OpenOffice.org site servers are swamped.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 15, 2008 08:48PM

When I had dialup and I liked download a big size program I bought a PC magazine that included a CD/DVD with a lot of software (I searched the magazine that included software I liked download). (Cost betwen 5€ and 10€)
This save a lot of time for your browsing and other downloads.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 15, 2008 09:08PM

@noob

"OpenOffice 3.0"

I downloaded OO using a friends Cable ISP account. 300+MB is a lot. For some reason I cannot install OO with out it taking over all of my Word documents and rendering them unreadable. So I haven't even been able to practice on OO.

Charlie

Posted by: foobarly
Date: October 16, 2008 03:23PM

Just to let yall know that an alleged 24MB (feels like 8Mcool smiley ADSL with unlimited traffic (Simplesnet) requires the monthly extipend of 44,90 EUR in Portugal...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 17, 2008 03:45AM

My DSL connection costs me $37 (U.S.) per month. I just ran a test on the speed and 928 kbps download and 288 kbps upload. I also get some space for my website in that charge. I have other options with maybe more speed but I do not wish to change my ID.

Posted by: Weather
Date: October 17, 2008 10:59AM

We aught to have joint access box for people who want dowloads and can't get them locally.

I woouldn' mind putting together a collection on a CD or DVD to post on. Maybe a round robin effort?

What sort of stuff would be wanted?

I wouldn't mind someone setting up a database for me. Once some stuff was loaded and I was shown how to continue, I'd be up and running.

Anyone know of a pay in kind project of that nature if this is not the place.

Re: finish downloading tomorrow:O
Posted by: foobarly
Date: October 19, 2008 03:14PM

Dunno, my wares are gotten mostly serendipitious... �_�

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.