General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Deleting Google Search History
Posted by: tlcmd
Date: August 30, 2008 09:51PM

Since I use K-Meleon as my primary browser, I occasionally "Google" stuff which I'd prefer not being kept in "Google" search history. How can I delete the "Google Search history with K-meleon"?

Thanks,
Dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deleting Google Search History
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 31, 2008 01:46PM

I am not sure that I understand your question. Do you mean to delete the history.dat file which KM makes or do you mean to delete some history file which Google is keeping on its servers?

Date: August 31, 2008 03:12PM

When I begin typing into the Google "search field", Google uses previous searches to "Provide query suggestions in the search box." I've turned that feature off, but the results of the previous searches remain. I wish to remove them.
For example, with the Provide query suggestions in the search box if i type in "c", the google suggestions include craigslist, costco, cnn, currency converter, circuit citey, etc.) How do i delete these files which I understand are stored in my browseror browser related files. I do have both IE 7 and K-meleon 1.5. K-meleon is my default browser.

Thanks,
Dick

Date: August 31, 2008 05:47PM

I suspect that is coming from a cookie that Google is leaving on your computer. Under EDIT - PREFERENCES - PRIVACY & SECURITY - GENERAL there are some items that work with cookies. You might try to delete all the cookies from Google and see if that makes a difference.

Deleting Google Search History
Date: August 31, 2008 09:32PM

JamesD,
Thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately it did not work.I cleaned all the cookies from K-meleon and IE7. Also searched with windows to find and did delete the only 3 cookies it found.
You suggested I should "delete all the cookies from Google". How do I do this? What am I missing?

I've also run cccleaner, malwarebytes, Advanced Windowscare, Easycleaner, Mcafee's cleaner, etc with no results.

Where are these Google "query suggestions" stored?

Thanks,
Dick

Date: August 31, 2008 10:13PM

There is a file called "history.dat" in your profile. If you don't need your history for something else, then you can delete that and try Google again.

If the cookies are gone and history is gone and the Google suggestions remain, then it is coming from Google's servers.

Date: August 31, 2008 10:30PM

I just went to Google and typed a "c" and got a whole list of possible items. It has to be their history of people using "c" because I have never searched for most of those things. I don't think you can do anything about their history. You can, as you found, turn off the display in their preferences.

If you did not yet delete your history, you can see what KM keeps about searches. Use SearchH http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmSearchH from the MacroLibrary.

Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: September 01, 2008 02:16PM

If you have a Google Account visit here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Google-Search-History

If not, then the recommended methods are a few of the ways to delete them from your browsers history.

Posted by: sharon
Date: December 04, 2008 09:44AM
Posted by: sharon
Date: December 04, 2008 09:46AM

That previous answer did not show the entire path to the solution at Google, It just showed the main URL. But if you click through, you'll get there.

Posted by: frank
Date: December 05, 2008 05:42AM

Go to http://www.scroogle.org for a search engine that uses Google but doesn't have the security issue. Scroll to the page bottom and use the encrypted option if you want. https://ssl.scroogle.org

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.