General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Opening chat sites
Posted by: frustrated
Date: December 03, 2008 06:04PM

I have been trying to open a chat website with K-Meleon. I have lowered just about every security setting to nil i.e. I am allowing just about everything. Still the site will not open.( it opens in internet explorer with medium security settings so I know the site works)
I have even tried the changes in user agent suggested in other forum posts for facebook ( this site is not facebook) and this is of no help either. What could be blocking the site opening? I have allowed java and java script and pop up window and referrer heading and all the rest. Pleas can someone tell me how to do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opening chat sites
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 03, 2008 06:31PM

Are you using NoScript or AdBlock Plus extensions for K-Meleon? Disable it.

We can't help you more if you don't post for us the website where your problem happend.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 03, 2008 06:32PM

Try with Firefox - and report result.
Maybe give URL if You have no Firefox installed.

With IE can mean that the site uses an ActiveX object.

Date: December 03, 2008 06:52PM

p.s. I have done the check and K-Meleon recognizes Java ( there were many listings and all said yes); I have also changed to default used agent and have closed and reopened K=Meleon before trying it.
I do not know what to do in the registry. I have not worked with it and am leery of doing so. How would I add a missing key and where?

Date: December 03, 2008 07:10PM

I have tried this site in firefox. It does not work there either.

As best I can tell I am not using either NoScript or AdBlock. They do not appear on the list of preinstalled plugins and I have added no additonal plugins so far.

I would preferr not to state the specific site if that can be avoided. The site is using ParaChat version 8.6 and says my java version is Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_03. I am on windows vista 6.0

Date: December 03, 2008 10:13PM

In his site I can read that this have full support for Firefox. If chat work in Firefox must be work in K-Meleon, but if you said that this chat not work in Firefox the problem is the website code or chat configuration.
This chat need Java to work because it use a Java progam in an IFRAME.

You must ask about this problem in ParaChat forum. It isn't a K-Meleon problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 13, 2008 04:15PM

Follow UP
I went to the Para chat site. Thank you for the link. At that site I was able to find the following suggestion. (roughly paraphrased here)

Go to control panel and locate the java icon ( On my computer I found it under "additional Options" click on this for the java menu In one of the categories there is a place where you list default browser. Mine came with internet explorer checked but "Mozilla family" not checked. I checked the listing for "Mozilla family" as well. ( apparently both can be checked here). I then tested it . The chat room still worked with neither Firefox nor K Meleon)

Then I downloaded the update for java ( another listing found though the control panel java icon) . After I downloaded and installed this update I was able to open the chat site using Firefox ( though it was quite slow). I am still not able to open K-Meleon at all. ( note-- after I downloaded and installed the java update the icon for java in the control panel disappeared. This is why I am not able to give yo0u the very exact location of that listing)

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: December 13, 2008 04:40PM

open kmeleon preferences>privacy and security> under general change cookie acceptance to always instead of originating sites only.. restart kmeleon.

it seems irrelevant.. but you never know smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2008 05:05PM

Thank you for the suggestion.
However, as I indicated above, I have already lowered all my security and privacy settings in an attempt to use K-meleon to open this site. This includes having changed my cookie setting to allow all ( and yes I have closed and reopened my browser after changing settings and trying the chat site again

Date: December 13, 2008 05:47PM

i think we'll need that chat site to be able to understand the problem..
if that's not possible, try to find a different site that uses same java aplet and gives you the exact same problem of chat aplet failing to load.

it'd still be better to post the chat link to know what we're dealing with

Date: December 13, 2008 09:59PM

frustrated, can you open this page or same problem?
http://193.43.17.27:7877/testroom.html

Date: December 13, 2008 10:44PM

Thank you for the test site

Once again I can open it in firefox but not with K-meleon

Date: December 13, 2008 11:01PM

Works fine for me in Firefox 2.0.0.18 and K-Meleon 1.5.0 with Java Plug-in 1.6.0_07.
Please update your Java plugin you must have a before version that not work with K-Meleon. (Java 1.6 Update 10 not work with K-Meleon)

Read this thread about it.

If you read ParaChat web page requeriments:
ParaChat
Current Release
ParaChat Service: Basic
Current Version: v8.6 Hosted
Client Build: rel-8601
Latest Java Release: 1.6.0_07

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 11:07PM by desga2.

Date: December 14, 2008 12:05AM

desga is rigth, build 10 has problems with km..update it and make sure in tools>privacy menu> block java is not selected.. hopefully it will work after you update

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.