General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Importing IE favorites
Posted by: whs
Date: December 26, 2008 08:23PM

I am new to this browser and like to make a few setups. I have figured out how to import the IE favorites with Bookmark > Edit. Unfortunately they are gone next time I log on. How do I make them permanent?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Importing IE favorites
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 26, 2008 08:54PM

K-Meleon had some problem to save your profile when K-Meleon was closed.
Check your windows user have permissions to write in K-Meleon profile folder.
Start K-Meleon and go to Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins (section) -> Netscape Bookmarks (subsection) -> Check "Enable support for Netscape Bookmarks" option and restart K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 26, 2008 09:07PM

Thanks for the answer but it does not work either. In fact, I discovered that no bookmarks are being kept from session to session - even not the ones I have set in a K-Meleon session. Very strange.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 26, 2008 09:24PM

What is your K-Meleon version and Windows version?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 26, 2008 10:03PM

whs
In fact, I discovered that no bookmarks are being kept from session to session - even not the ones I have set in a K-Meleon session. Very strange.

AFAIK that is not so strange but one the typical signs for no writing rights.

Easiest solution. Reinstall and chose multiple user support "or so" ( "" = I have a German install). That creates a profile in %appdata% folder. By default You have writing privileges there. That setting is best for 2000/XP/Vista systems. These systems give You only right to program files folders when You have Admin rights.

Else right click on K-Meleon folder while You are Admin, chose dialoge & to give K-M user writing privileges to K-Meleon folder. There is an alternative setup setting that lets K-Meleon make Profiles there.

Else delete profile.ini in K-Meleon folder that toggles this setting.

BTW. You can use IE Favorites natively if You activate the K-Meleon plugin for them. That ensures that they are up to date when sharing them with IE.

Date: December 26, 2008 10:33PM

Thanks again for the answers. Unfortunately there is no progress.
1. I have vers. 1.5.2 on Vista
2. I have not tried to reinstall yet
3. The "right click on the K-Meleon folder" - I am not sure which folder we are talking about. The one in All Programs, in Program files on C:\ or which else. In any case, I did not see any "dialogue" setting.
4. I did delete the .ini, but that did not change anything
5. I would love to activate the IE favorites plug-in. But could not find it. All I found was this:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/whs37/HTG13/plugins.png

Looks like I am off to a rocky start with K-Meleon. That it too bad because it looks like a nice browser and i never had any of those problems with any of my 5 other browsers.

Update: Reinstalled as suggested (this time with the right settings - which are a little bit "hidden"-lol) and things seem to work now. It seems to remember things now. I am sure I am going to be back with more questions. In the meantime many thanks for your continued support.
Btw: Until now, The World Browser ( http://www.ioage.com/en/index.htm ) was my favorite. It is based on the IE engine and very fast too. Check it out.

Und viele Grüsse nach Deutschland

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 11:38PM by whs.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 27, 2008 12:50AM

whs
3. The "right click on the K-Meleon folder"

5. I would love to activate the IE favorites plug-in. But could not find it. All I found was this:

Update: Reinstalled as suggested (this time with the right settings - which are a little bit "hidden"-lol) and things seem to work now. It seems to remember things now. I am sure I am going to be back with more questions. In the meantime many thanks for your continued support.
Btw: Until now, The World Browser ( http://www.ioage.com/en/index.htm ) was my favorite. It is based on the IE engine and very fast too. Check it out.

Und viele Grüsse nach Deutschland

3.) To K-Meleon folder in Program Files folder or whatever it is in en-US. Else You give the right to other programs too.

5.) Edit > Preferences > K-Meleon Plugins (or similar).

"Update:" = I like the result - solved problem are good ones. smiling smiley Some Vista versions are problematic but they would normally not revert to problems.

"BTW." A really good shell! World with Gecko or KHTML would be nice smiling smiley Trident engine (the ActiveX component that e.g drives IE & World browser) is currently the slowest engine. Trident of IE 5.01 is much faster but not updated - 5.5 and especially 6-7 are pathetic. Trident for IE 8.0 looks promising again. OK standard compliance and fairly fast.

"Und": Thx & greetings and good festive season to You in US (bell south) & to desgas2 in ES from Hanover in DE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 12:58AM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2008 01:03AM

Thanks Günter, I think for now I am all set. Your views on the trident engine were interesting. Gruss, Wolfgang

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.