General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
bookmarks toolbar
Posted by: dapog
Date: January 04, 2009 03:25PM

Hi all, first of all sorry for my english
I would like to know if there is the possibility to show only the icon of the bookmarks in the personal toolbar
I don't want that the browser show the description like appears in this screen

I prefer to see only the icons cause i have more bookmarks to put in that toolbar

I use the bookmarks editor to remove the titles and effectively after the toolbar shows only the icons

but when I close and reopen the browser, icons are still present

is there a way to remove definetively the titles and leave only the icons?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bookmarks toolbar
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 04, 2009 04:04PM

You need place something small e.g. a point or a white "space" (broad key in the middle of keyboard) in the "Title" field while You are editing the bookmarks. Else K-Meleon will generate a title. Confirm Your changes with the ok button.

IMHO so far nobody had Your idea to use the icons to know the sites.:O

Your English is good & English (en-US) is only the Lingua Franca of this Forum.
You can post in any language where You can find someone to know the answer (AFAIK de-DE, es-ES and fr-FR possibly pl-PL & pt-BR also; it-IT ? Fred from CH maybe, he speaks several languages).

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 04, 2009 04:42PM

Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins (section) -> Netscape Bookmarks (subsection) -> Bookmarks Bar (tab) -> Set "Toolbar Button Width" option to zero or one characters.

@ guenter:

I remember some post about it some time ago, not more than one year ago.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 04:45PM by desga2.

Date: January 04, 2009 04:45PM

guenter
You need place something small e.g. a point or a white "space" (broad key in the middle of keyboard) in the "Title" field while You are editing the bookmarks. Else K-Meleon will generate a title. Confirm Your changes with the ok button.

Good idea
but another problem (for me grinning smiley) is that the browser shows the icon representing the sites only in few cases. the most bookmarks have the standard icon

guenter
IMHO so far nobody had Your idea to use the icons to know the sites.:O

if you have a lot of bookmarks that you want to see in the toolbar, i think that it's better to show only the icons. there is not too much space to shows icons and titles, and it is not necessary to read that, for example, the Y! icon stands for yahoo

i would like to obtain this result

bye

Date: January 04, 2009 04:51PM

desga2
Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins (section) -> Netscape Bookmarks (subsection) -> Bookmarks Bar (tab) -> Set "Toolbar Button Width" option to zero or one characters.

@ guenter:

thanks, so i am not the only mad that ask this thing :drool:

i'm seeing that sometime some icon changes from the standard to the site icon
it happens randomly...

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 04, 2009 05:09PM

@ dapog:

Is possible that you need load each bookmark to its icon to be saved in K-Meleon iconcache file.

Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Cache (tab) -> Check "Cache website icons on disk" option.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 05:13PM by desga2.

Date: January 04, 2009 05:26PM

desga2
@ dapog:

Is possible that you need load each bookmark to its icon to be saved in K-Meleon iconcache file.

Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Cache (tab) -> Check "Cache website icons on disk" option.

it's enabled
now there are two more icons
i don't understand
anyway, no problem, i can wait that all the icons appear, hoping that it doesn't take two years tongue sticking out smiley

thanks and bye

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 04, 2009 05:59PM

desga2

@ guenter:

1.) Nice.

2.) Glad You remembered since I was not in internet for long about a year ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 06:00PM by guenter.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: January 04, 2009 06:12PM

Personally I find too many icons on show a bit distracting so what I do (thanks to old advice on here) is remove bookmarks bmp from skins folder and like you mention use abbreviations for site names. a, b, c, co, d, di etc

Only trouble then is their are no icons in main bookmarks menu.smiling smiley
But this is not too much of a problem because I have over 30 hotkeys set up to launch urls and rarely use main menu.

For folders on bookmarks toolbar again I use capital abbreviations such as F. V. Z. I. - I know what they stand for - and without bookmarks bmp there is no distracting folder icon.

Another browser I use on IE shell has the facility to remove icons from it's Links toolbar but retain them in main menu.

But I'm a toolbar minimilist I use plain old "classic grey" system colour instead of skin background, I like to focus on web page

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 06:40PM by Arrow.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.