General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
v1.5.2 seems slower than v.1.5.1
Posted by: MrWoo
Date: January 07, 2009 09:10AM

It really does. So much in fact that I put 1.5.1 back on and immediately noticed a difference. Seems that way on 4 machines.

Anyone else think they noticed this too?

MrWoo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: v1.5.2 seems slower than v.1.5.1
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 07, 2009 11:50AM

slower in execution or in rendering pages?
i didn't find any differences between the 2 on my system when it comes to speed

i read in sme thread a while ago that when doing a dirty update(overwriting files) you need to delete a couple of files that are remnant from a previous version.. they may slow km when used wth a newer version.. think they were xpti.dat and xuldoc.xpt in components folder.. not sure. wait till gunter or desga give feedback on this.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 07, 2009 12:06PM

IMHO 1.5.2 is faster than 1.5.1.

At least and talking by myself, I've experienced an enhancement on the overall speed of K-Meleon with the latest 1.5.2 update.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 07, 2009 02:08PM

How about compreg.dat?

N

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: January 07, 2009 02:45PM

i agree eniatzjga, overall 1.5.2 is more polished than 1.5.1

i think it could be that file too nde.. i can't remember their exact names.. it was in a thread like couple of months ago.. think charlie had experienced performance decline and desga and gunter talked about files that should be deleted when doing a dirty update.. the thing is, forum search doesn't help as it used to.. dunno why.. sometimes to find specific articles i use google to search the forums instead of the forum search itself sad smiley

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 07, 2009 02:46PM

Compreg.dat register the dll used by gecko and is dependant from K-Meleon install folder, so it can't been include in 7z distrib or Setup.

xpti.dat register the Mozilla service, and aren't include in the distribs due to possible present extensions which uses some Mozilla services.

So, they must obviously be deleted to be well created again by K-Meleon.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: January 07, 2009 03:48PM

Hmm. I did an update from 151 to 152, so I think I will try removing KM altogether and install 152 fresh. What of the profile directory? I keep mine, have for a few versions now I think. Is there a known possible issue of a file or setting that should get purged?

disrupted(unlogged)
forum search doesn't help as it used to.. dunno why.. sometimes to find specific articles i use google to search the forums instead of the forum search itself sad smiley
This is very true. I noticed that it returns pretty much nothing when I know I have seen the thread before. I did not think to use the google site search. Good call.

Thanks for the replies.

MrWoo.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 07, 2009 04:02PM

New installs may IMHO seem slower until HDD cache is filled.
You do not have to do clean reinstall. alain's installer cleans all needed things smiling smiley

AFAIK nothing to purge.
All 1.5.x profiles are absolutely compatible to other 1.5.x versions profiles.
If You feel to reinstall - You should always backup profiles folder.
Just in case. A power failure...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 04:14PM by guenter.

Date: January 07, 2009 04:47PM

Hmm. I have never really seen one version be slower than another. But I have on this one. It is very noticable because I go to a few sites every day, all the time, and am used to a certain speed. Once I put 152 on, and that was over a week ago, I was noticing a second or two 'delay' in page loading, even with same profile settings. That is why I asked.

Good to know what you stated Guenter. I will try a few tests with using 151, reverting to 151, wiping and putting 152 on fresh and see if any differences are noted.

Thanks.

MrWoo.

Date: January 08, 2009 12:56AM

Why not do parallel installs with new names: ./Program Files/K-Meleon1.5.2.en-MO/
or installs called 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.

I always use parallel installs. That makes sure that I have a working K-Meleon.

You can also apply some speed teaks if You feel it is slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 12:59AM by guenter.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:47AM

I just got done testing. I have a core2duo machine with a 3meg internet connection. Upgrading from v151 to 152, a definate slow down. Uninstall. Put 152 on. As you say, put 151 on tandem. I made sure the cache was gone.

From all defaults, 152 is very noticably slower than than 151. Dramatically slower. I would say at least 5 seconds slower. Slower when initially filling cache, slower after cache is filled. Slower to render. Even slower to load (till visible). Slower everything.

It is probably not a problem with KM so much as some setting on my machine. I turned everything off, AV, firewall,etc.

Should I have to use any speed tweaks since default installs show such a disparity?

MrWoo.

Date: January 08, 2009 08:34AM

I You want to test any speed tweak just use a separate Profile.

If You are sure that 1.5.2 is slower You could try use its exe, kplugin, settings in an 1.5.1 install. It could be that the security fixes in the GREs cost time.

1.5.1 has an older GRE.

Posted by: caktus
Date: January 09, 2009 03:45AM

As I recall, it was the two .dat files. But for some reason I had much better luck installing 1.5.1 completely fresh and starting all over, that is I started with clean cache and customizing KM all over again. Trying to use the older profile just didn't work out for me.

When I get around to downloading and installing 1.5.2 I will probably start with a new profile again.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Colin
Date: January 09, 2009 08:23AM

Oh, yea, it's slower; but it's really better than 1.5.1 when using DSL & W98 'cause it no more hangs DSL modem :-)) (The Opera 9.63 in these circumstances is much slower :-( )
P.S. The email I entered is valid; P.S if you prefer, I'll give a different address $)

Date: January 09, 2009 11:20AM

Colin
P.S. The email I entered is valid; P.S if you prefer, I'll give a different address $)

Logging is an automatic process. The process can fail.
You can edit Your account after You created it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.