General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
security
Posted by: steve
Date: February 15, 2009 03:02PM

I have just downloaded and have begun to use K-Meleon - if anyone can provide a discription of the level of security that I should expect I would appreciate your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: security
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 15, 2009 04:09PM

steve
if anyone can provide a discription of the level of security that I should expect I would appreciate your input.

1.) Google & U find: Secunia K-Meleon

None known in K-Meleon core.

2.) Google & U find: Secunia Firefox 2

For the GRE (Gecko rendering engine), potentially the same as Firefox 2 that uses the same GRE. That means that Firefox 2 insecurities can, but often do not effect K-Meleon. If any effect K-Meleon it is discussed here in Forums: General or in Bugs. If You hear about a Firefox bug come here to check.

Encryption the same as Firefox, SeaMonkey etc. it comes with the GRE.

3.) None of the safe surf plug-in providers supports K-Meleon explicitly.
K-Meleon is a waste of time (too small number) for hackers and security PPL alike

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 15, 2009 05:54PM

I understand that KM's encryption is 128bit by default. I recall a post was once entered with instructions how to make adjustments in about:config to increase KM's encryption to 256bit, but I do not recall the specific instructions nor the forum post regarding this. And I have recently reinstalled KM 1.5.1, so I may be using 128bit encryption. Perhaps gunter or one of the other guru's can point us in the right direction or post the directions in this thread for us.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 15, 2009 06:39PM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081115 K-Meleon/1.5.2
AFAIK the U stands for good encryption:

AFAIK 256 is activated by default. If You want to check -> Edit -> Configuration ->
Browser Configuartion - Search field enter keyword "security", all up to 256 look activated = true (1024 = false). BTW. The same as with Firefox and SeaMonkey.

Lesser values were for export once, do not know about current situation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 06:44PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.