lost all my bookmarks and the bookmark bar gone
Posted by: johnsiddle
Date: November 24, 2012 05:06PM

I turned on my computer today and all my bookmarks have disappeared, furthermore going into the preferences the bookmark, Fav bar and hot links tabs are all greyed out.

I can find no way to re-instate them.
I downloaded and installed Ver 1.5.4 thinking this would restore things but nothing has changed.

Any idea's????

PS: I did notice that the search bar brought up Google Chrome when K-Meleon loaded first thing today, which was stange as I dont use Chrome I find it rubbish and slow.

regards john

Re: lost all my bookmarks and the bookmark bar gone
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 24, 2012 05:15PM

Sometimes KM will have an error when it quits and starts a new profile on the next startup. Look to see if you have an older profile folder. If so, your bookmarks should be there as well as your settings.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Re: lost all my bookmarks and the bookmark bar gone
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 24, 2012 10:35PM

If a system error (skan disk run...) damages profiles.ini then the current profile is not found anymore. K-Meleon then starts a new profile.

Go to the current profile directory (Edit, Configuration, Profile Directory) then move up one level and You will find another (or more) profile folder.

Move into the folder and open bookmarks.html with a browser. You may have to repeat this for each old profile that You can find.

If the file contains the bookmarks of Your last used profile - You found the lost profile and data.

You simply copy all the data/files from the lost profile into the currently used profile and restart the browser.

p.s. On very rare cases skandisk ruins files inside the profile folder.
You can try to salvage individual files.

Another rare case is that an existing profile.ini is deleted. That changes the location of the folder where the profiles are generated. That file is only used rarely for portable setup and Win98. Please inquire if this is the case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2012 10:53PM by guenter.

Re..
Posted by: km2
Date: November 28, 2012 07:24AM

johnsiddle
PS: I did notice that the search bar brought up Google Chrome when K-Meleon loaded first thing today, which was stange as I dont use Chrome I find it rubbish and slow.

regards john

Also, ccleaner / tools / uninsntall - all related to google\Chrome..

check tools / startup, disable (or delete) all releted to google\Chrome, then.

Re: Re..
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 28, 2012 08:05AM

check this thread about similar problem

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.