General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Gecko Update Issue
Posted by: drill_sarge
Date: April 29, 2009 01:51AM

Hi smiling smiley

Dont know, if this is the correct subforum for this.
Anyway, I updated GRE using the how-to on the kmeleon page. Browser works fine now, but there is an issue (ok, no major one, but annoying):
when i close the browser, windows promps an error message "kmelon has stopped working".
the browser itself works fine and after closing it, you can start it normal.

and now my question: how to get rid of this annoying "bug"?

thx for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gecko Update Issue
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 29, 2009 08:46AM

Since You did not say anything I assume official version (not 1.6 beta or CCF)

I made several updates recently & had no problem.

Because You mentioned problems at exit.
When shut down a K-Meleon can continue to run after a script error.

Open error console and have a look whether You have an error that points to a K-Meleon Macro (*.kmm) or chrome file(*.js). If that does not point You to a specific problem continue with 1.).

Neuralgic points.

1.) Try both chromes the one desga2 fixed and the unaltered one from 1.5.2.
There was a Gecko bug that affected adblock & Mozilla might have fixed it or not.

2.) Make sure that You have no extra SeaMonkey *.js in components.

3.) Delete ./components/compreg.dat & xpti.dat. So that they are regenerated with current info.

4.) Make sure that chrome.dll and chrome.xpt are from the original K-Meleon folder and not from the SeaMonkey components folder. K-Meleon Project uses the same chrome format as Firefox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 08:47AM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 29, 2009 12:45PM

Read this thread about my last GRE update (Seamonkey 1.1.16).

If you like conserve your update (it's possible that tutorial isn't updated) read about my before GRE update (Seamonkey 1.1.15) problems in this thread.

Some people that like update from 1.1.x version had problems with embed_lite.dll file. (My last update rename this file if is found)

P.S.; I updated the GRE update tutorial.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 01:05PM by desga2.

Date: April 29, 2009 01:11PM

hi. thx for your replies.

i think i fixed the error. i am using a clean 1.5.2 install.
now, i downloaded the "1.8.1.21 update" desga2 an ONLY updated the 3 xpcom-files in the main k-meleon directory. (i did not update them before, because the how-to says not to update them).
and now it works fine smiling smiley.

another question: is there a way like this (copy files etc.; i dont know anything about compiling and stuff), to update kmeleon to gecko 1.9.x?

Date: April 29, 2009 01:12PM

Addition: its not a clean 1.5.2 install (its still 1.5.2 "base"). of course all other files are updated too, not just the 3 xpcom ones grinning smiley.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 29, 2009 02:56PM

K-Meleon 1.5.x is for 1.8.x GRE. That is current stable version. K-Meleon exe is always using version specific files that prevent reuse with another GRE.

K-Meleon 1.6.x is for 1.9.x GRE. That is next alpha version. You will find K-Meleons for GRE 1.9 if You use Forum search K-Meleon 1.6 and name Dorian or Fred.

Hao's latest CCF also use a variant of the 1.6 exe. You will find K-Meleon CCF for 1.9 in this K-Meleon General Forum and via Hao's CCF Blog.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.