General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Browser reviews thread part 2
Posted by: reeko124
Date: May 01, 2009 07:25PM

I was gonna add this to my thread where I reviewed browsers but it disappeared. If I would have noticed it had disappeared I never would have wrote this because I didn't wanna start a new thread. No sense in letting it go to waste now lol. Also to the others that missed the old thread my reviews are based on how they compare to K-Meleon. I do that because this is a K-Meleon forum. On to the review

Wyzo Browser
http://www.wyzo.com/

Its a browser for downloaders
14mb download and 30mb install
Based on FireFox

Looks:

It has a white color to it. Only has 4 buttons to start off with. I like that because I hate a cluttered browser..Those four buttons are Back, Forward, Stop/Reload, and Home. You can go to toolbars and add 6 more buttons or seperators. It might be plain but I like the look because it is something not seen all that much.

Performance:

I had both Wyzo and K-Meleon(KM) open with 5 tabs each all linked to the same sites and Wyzo used nearly double the RAM. Thats like most browsers compared to KM. Handles javascript easier then my KM. Don't know why but I have trouble with javascript at times with KM. Also when I click stop the page stops loading I do that on KM and on javascript heavy pages it just won't stop. I can turn off javascript and image loading and a bunch of other things in KM without going into options and clicking on tabs like I would have to with Wyzo.

What it offers:

Coolris: Transforms your browser into a full 3D Wall for searching and othe web stuff.

Ctrl-Tab: When pressed moves from one tab to the next

FireDownload: Built in downloader for the browser

FireGestures: Mouse Gestures..........K-Meleon has that and its built in

FireTorrent: Built in BitTorrent for the browser

FireTray: Minimizes your browser to the tray

Smart Stop/Reload: Combines your stop and reload buttons into one......I like that

I don't want my browser handling most of my downloads to begin with. I like to set them and forget them and that means my browser is usually closed because I use outside programs (FreeDownloadManager/utorrent). Especially with dialup because a lot of times when I would download a file with any browser it would say it was done before it was done and I would have to start it again. Most times it would pick up where it left off but it was just a hassle. So using an outside program would stop that from happening. With the FireDownloader I may be missing something but its the same as right clicking and save target as. So I don't understand the point in it. I tried using it so see if right clicking on a page would download all links on the page but nothing happened. Plus I had no clue where it was saving to at first. So if someone knows more about it please let me know. If they would have used DownThemAll it would be have been better. That leads me to my next point and final conclusion:

You can add all firefox addons to this because it is basically Firefox in a different skin. I downloaded a couple to see if they would and they did. You can put this skin on Firefox from what I read. So I don't know if it really is a Downloaders dream. My KM portable is 8mb and my download manager is 6mb and utorrent is 280kb. I add those up and get only 14.3mb and the total install for Wyzo is 30mb.

So in the end if your main brower is Firefox then I see no use in using this. If you want to give something a shot besides KM then go ahead and see if you like it.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.