General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
PDF, K-Meleon, no Acrobat
Posted by: Hoarier
Date: June 02, 2009 02:24PM

My copy (ver. 5) of Acrobat Reader was getting ancient, upgrades looked hugely bloated, malware writers have recently become interested in PDF files ... I decided the time was right to zap Acrobat Reader and to use Sumatra PDF exclusively. So I zapped Acrobat Reader.

Now when I click a link to a PDF file, K-Meleon displays a blank page, with no options for doing anything with it. How can I have Sumatra PDF used to open PDF files (my second choice) or simply have K-meleon download PDF files to my hard drive (my first)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PDF, K-Meleon, no Acrobat
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 02, 2009 03:05PM

1) you have to be sure that the acrobat plugin is uninstalled. I don't remember the name, but it must be easy to find under plugins folder.

2) Edit > Edit Mimetypes > add or modify application/pdf

mime type : application/pdf
Description : PDF Files
Extension : .pdf

Open with > Browse > search for Sumatra

And it ought to be ok

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:06PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: Hoarier
Date: June 02, 2009 03:30PM

Ah, thank you. I didn't think of that.

I did it. It's easy to understand. Actually I made it slightly easier: I asked K-Meleon to use the default application (which is Sumatra, for sure). No error messages, it registered, all's fine.... Except for one thing: even after closing K-Meleon, restarting it, and rechecking those settings, clicking on a link to a PDF brings ... a white page. So in effect nothing seems to have changed.

Oh well, bedtime in my part of the world. G'night, and hoping to wake up to good ideas.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 02, 2009 07:04PM

looks like the acrobat plugin is still overriding your settings.. better remove it
locate the np plugin, usually:
c:[Program Files]\Adobe\acrobat5\Reader\Browser\nppdf32.dll

rename it to nppdf32shit.old

you can also locate it from kmeleon via (about:config)-edit menu>configuration>advanced
search for this key:
plugin.expose_full_path
set it to true
the go to help>about plugins and see where it is and rename it

remove the pdf mime type if you want.. now km should automatically prompt to save pdfs

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.