1.6beta 2dot5, tabs and prefs...
Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 04, 2013 09:09AM

Playing with different K-Meleon assemblies, I've found one strange thing:

there is [at least] one preference not working properly in any KM:
kmeleon.tabs.onCloseOption

The corresponding option in Preferences panel is 'When closing a tab' and the wrong position is 'Focus previously selected tab' (value = 2 in prefs).
Everytime you select this option the KM behaves like 'Focus the previous tab' (next to the left on tabbar, value = 1 in prefs).

I've tried this in all builds I've run. And always had got only one result.

And what was my amazement when I've found that 1.6beta2dot5 from JamesD works properly here!!!
I've deepened into about:config and was even more amazed - there wasn't any trace of such a preference. Even more - the full list of available preferences was extremely shorted in comparison with other builds. Full groups of settings (like kmeleon.tabs group) were absent there, but KM loads them and handles them more correctly than in other distributions.

So I wonder how can it be. Who can elaborate this issue? James, have you any thoughts about this?

My only intention is to build Twin with maximum of preferences handled properly and to make it possible use right settings in any other assembly of our browser...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 09:10AM by rodocop.

Re: 1.6beta 2dot5, tabs and prefs...
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 04, 2013 02:02PM

The short answer is that I do not yet know the answer. I had never made that selection in preferences before. I did try it in my beta 2.4 ( my default browser ) and did notice the correct response when closing a tab. The focus went back to the previously viewed tab. It skipped the tab which was to the next left on the tab bar.

The only difference in beta 2.4 and beta 2.5 is the method for calling Spellcheck.

Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but I tried Twin+ and it appeared to work correctly also. The number of items seen in browser configuration with the filter 'kmeleon.tabs' appears the same in both browsers.

Have I missed something important in your post? What other test(s) would you like me to try?

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Re: 1.6beta 2dot5, tabs and prefs...
Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 04, 2013 07:31PM

OK, James, no need to test anything else. I just need to point on something what I'm missing.
I think KM Twin 2.0 will be based on your beta 2dot5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.