General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
URL Bar for searching only?
Posted by: reeko124
Date: June 08, 2009 10:43AM

Can you disable the url bar and use it for searching only? I asked because after noticing that anonymous web proxy sites are setup the same way as when you add a search engine to a browser. It just got me to thinking if it could work that I know for sure disrupted could make a macro or something you can enable that would:

1.disable the urlbar and make it search only

2.change the search to an anonymous webproxy.

Then any url that you go to will automatically be put thru the web proxy. Hope that made some sense. There is probably an easy way that someone already knows how to do that.Which in turn will make me look like an idiot even suggesting this lol.

Reeko

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 10:58AM by reeko124.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: URL Bar for searching only?
Posted by: desga2
Date: June 08, 2009 02:02PM

You can hide urlbar and use SearbarExt (by teK) seting to use a web proxy.
Change the next pref to false:
kmeleon.toolband.URL Bar.visibility

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 03:22PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 08, 2009 02:32PM

and you can also use a proxy configuration file to handle all your browsing through it.. this way you can have complete anonymous browsing whether for search or anything else.

you can use a codeen proxy(stable and highly anonymous but can't be used with submit forms) this is what i do in 'privacy mode'
for example, save this file in in c:\
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/example.pac

in km preferences? network>proxy.. add new configuration
select use following url address and enter this address:
file:///c|/example.pac

save new configuration as "anonymous"
and then select it from proxy settings.. if you need to change proxy server to something other than codeen.. open example.pac in notepad and change value in red to your preferred proxy address(don't forget the port number)

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
// variable strings to return
var proxy_yes = "PROXY 194.36.10.154:3128";
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";
if (shExpMatch(url, "127.0.0.1")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.nbn.org.il*")) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "http://www.nbn.org.il"winking smiley) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "http://nbn.org.il"winking smiley) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.cia.gov*")) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "http://www.cia.gov"winking smiley) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "http://cia.gov"winking smiley) { return proxy_yes; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.sourceforge.net*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "https://*"winking smiley) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "ftp://*"winking smiley) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "gopher*")) { return proxy_no; }
return proxy_yes;
}

more proxies there:
http://samair.ru

Date: June 08, 2009 03:11PM

I just downloaded a small program called multiproxy. Its old but works 10 times better then proxyway which i have used before. I used the codeen proxies I found and got some abuse errors and like you said It doesn't work when sending emails and such. I am going all stealth now on the internet after friends contacted me saying I was sending them spam messages in yahoo messenger. I don't see how that happened at all.

Reeko

Date: June 08, 2009 03:50PM

Thanks again guys. I wound up using disrupted's idea. I added my proxy to it and it wouldn't work. I was looking and changed:

This
file:///cl/example.pac

to this

file:///c:/example.pac
I don't know if it was a typo on your part or not but then it worked. I put the c in the example even though I saved it to my d drive because that is my windows drive letter. Doubt that mattered at all but felt like saying that

Another thing is when I edited it to correct that another anonymous proxy is along side it. It is blank and I can't delete it. For some reason it kept kicking back to that one that was no good after a couple page visits. Is that a bug? Well I just put the info in another proxy I already had and it works.

Is there a hotkey to switch back and forth between a proxy and no proxy for the sake of making posts and emails? If not its not a problem just wondering

Reeko

Date: June 08, 2009 04:43PM

it wasn't a typo..this path is what i use | instead of :.. because in old kmeleons i could only use | but maybe this : works now but most importantly the path should be where the pac file is saved.. if you're using d: then it should be d: not c: it can be anywhere you like as long as it's a valid path

you can add sites you visit frequently and want to bypass the proxy to the pac file in this way:

but make sure you add the string in the beginning after
{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";

and not at the end for example if you want to let yahoo sites bypass proxy then

{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.yahoo.com*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "htt ps://*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "ft p://*")) { return proxy_no; }
return proxy_yes;
}

to toggle proxy on and off, there was a topic by yogi about how to do it from the privacy bar:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,90245,92198

Date: June 08, 2009 05:01PM

I have d: and c: thats why I asked. I had a dual boot and when it crashed C: had all my files on it so when I reinstalled windows the default drive became d: because I wasn't gonna reformat c: and lose everyhing.

Date: June 08, 2009 06:44PM

disrupted
it wasn't a typo..this path is what i use | instead of :.. because in old kmeleons i could only use | but maybe this : works now but most importantly the path should be where the pac file is saved.. if you're using d: then it should be d: not c: it can be anywhere you like as long as it's a valid path

you can add sites you visit frequently and want to bypass the proxy to the pac file in this way:

but make sure you add the string in the beginning after
{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";

and not at the end for example if you want to let yahoo sites bypass proxy then

{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";
return proxy_yes;
}

to toggle proxy on and off, there was a topic by yogi about how to do it from the privacy bar:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,90245,92198

I tried that and it don't work. Don't know why but it won't

Date: June 08, 2009 07:44PM

first make sure that km is configured to use the new assigned proxy files eith from settings or tools>proxy

to edit the proxy to bypass certain sites, you might have to add more variables of the site's name for example for yahoo mail..we need to find out the exact mail address..you can copy the address for the site directly from the urlbar.. and make sure the return value for the added site is NO not Yes

{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.yahoo.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*www.yahoo.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*mail.yahoo.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }

return proxy_yes;
}

Date: June 08, 2009 07:55PM

tried it with google and can't get it to not use the proxy. I will worry about it later. You got me this far haha

Date: June 08, 2009 11:38PM

hmm..ok try this

add value for http after your custom values ..for example

{
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";
if (shExpMatch(url, "*.google.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*mail.google.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }
if (shExpMatch(url, "*mail.yahoo.co.uk*")) { return proxy_no; }

if (shExpMatch(url, "htt p://*")) { return proxy_no; }
return proxy_yes;
}

oh..and remeber..there is a space that you need to remove
htt p must be one wor http
htt ps must be https
ft p must be ftp

i add the spaces because the forum displays them as links otherwise

(this post is starting to look like south african flag grinning smiley)

Date: June 09, 2009 12:28PM

I seem to have gotten that fixed now I have another problem. Proxy won't work now when enabled. I get this message on a regular km page load scren

Proxy Server Refused Connection

The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy server you have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try again.

I even changed the proxy. Could it be CoDeen is denying me now?

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 09, 2009 01:22PM

Strange these bloody proxy's (especially to a noob like metongue sticking out smiley) I have the same problem at times. It says I am misusing a CoDeen proxy and then connects after 10secs OR I get the same refusal page as you on certain IP's I use.

I've a feeling it's to do with open ports being detected on the proxy server. :s

Whaddya think guys?

Date: June 09, 2009 01:54PM

I get the same as you about the misuse of it. I think its asking you not to, but not that you are doing it. I think you get that every so many minutes or something. Who knows I am checking proxies right now when I am done i will post the list paul if any of them work

Date: June 09, 2009 02:25PM

CoDeeN's privacy policy:

All accesses via CoDeeN are logged, mostly to aid in identifying abuse and other forms of damage control. We sometimes monitor these logs, report abuse, and release entries to aid in investigations. In case of suspicious traffic, we may access URLs from the logs to determine what kind of content is passing through our network. We are also using these logs in our own research, so they may be examined as needed for non-abuse reasons. For normal users, we do not expect that we will intentionally release any personally-identifying information. To prevent abuse, some sites have requested we pass along the client IP addresses, and these are included with every request forwarded to those sites.

Reeko

BTW got it to work again

Date: June 09, 2009 02:58PM

Well CoDeen can place their proxy's where the sun don't shine tongue sticking out smiley I use that proxy finder and it obviously detects CoDeen Ip's amongst it searches. I must find a piece of software that identifies the IP address and host in bulk!

Date: June 09, 2009 03:03PM

90% are codeen grinning smiley. i have found a couple that aren't but are really slow.

Date: June 09, 2009 06:11PM

most are codeen ..codeen is most stable but it doesn't support forms sad smiley.. the others mostly belong to isps.. besides being slow..they don't last very long.. maybe a week or 2 and then you need to search for a different proxy.. i've been using that same codeen address(i think it belongs to princeton university) for maybe 3 years now without major problems.. sometimes it goes down but it's only a few hours till it's back.

to be honest, i mostly use the codeen proxy to autocomplete addresses in the url bar tongue sticking out smiley but all other surfing is done directly through my freebsd machine. for example i can type google and codeen adds the .com's and .net's so i can still have autocomplete and at the same time search from the addressbar because in km you can't have both features running together..if you enable autocomplete and you search in urlbar, you get invalid address.. codeen proxy enables the luxury of using both smiling smiley.. on very few occasions i add a site to go through codeen and not directly but only fascists portals which may have very valuable info and don't want them to know my ip.

Date: June 09, 2009 06:28PM

My last comment on this topic is simply this. The reason I want to use Proxy's is because I object to being tracked by private org's! I don't mind the authorities tracking me as I have nothing to hide. I believe the use of police/goverment tracking is good if it busts up and results in the arrest of paedophiliacs.

Plus I enjoy getting these 'drop of the hat' you're banned blogs at it tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.