General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
From Scartch again!
Posted by: eDOC786
Date: June 29, 2009 08:37AM

Hi there,

Since am new to KM was trying to do a lot so messed up, plus was checking FF, Opera 10, Google Chrome….neither impressed.

Instead of tweaking, restored a full backup of machine which I normally make before trying a new sw.

Than did a clean install of KM with autoloader checked.

Installed Flash, Java 6 Update 14 & enabled Spyware blaster protections for it.
Now I am all set.

You smart people have taught me things like how to change Text etc.

I have questions so that I can than start to customize KM step wise according to my needs.

In Tools> Privacy> Clear Data I have checked ALL on shut down.

Default page is blank.

1. What should I do to get auto updates for KM when available?

2. Do I need to create a profile……if yes ……what are its pros & cons & how?

3. Still can’t have a IE style favorites list.

4. Where should the macros be stored in the default or user defined?

5. Can I add the macro for text or wait for your responses……cause earlier I added it to default macro folder?

6. Any recommendations ……..like in IE I keep cache size 50 MB…..history 1 day…… uncheck auto complete of passwords etc.

Hoping to hear from you,

I agree KM is the best……

Thanks again.

Btw I check follow the topic, changed my email but still get no notifications.

Doc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From Scartch again!
Date: June 29, 2009 08:58AM

7. Can one customize the toolbar icons & text.....Their sizes, size of the text, add/remove..........Back, Front, Refresh, Home, Print etc..........like in IE?

Thanks again.

Date: June 29, 2009 09:03AM

8. Whats the max size to post a screen shot or use photobucket link?

9. Vista has a nice tool to take screen shots....XP has print screen & MS paint........what do you smart people use?

Thanks.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 29, 2009 03:15PM

eDOC786

EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS and make sure there is a check in the box for 'update checker'.

KM always has a profile. Find your current profile using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. Note- It is possible to have more than one, but only one is in use for a given instance of KM.

EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - IE FAVORITES and make sure there is a check in the box for 'enable support for IE Favorites'. A restart of KM is required for this change to take effect.

Macros can be located in either the MacroFolder or the UserMacroFolder. if you have a single profile is does not matter which. If you have multi profiles and you wish all profiles to have the macro you can use the MacroFolder or you would have to put the macro into the UserMacroFolder for each profile. I think that is right, but I only use one profile and the UserMacroFolder for all my macros. You can find your current UserMacroFolder with EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY and look for a folder named 'macros'. The MacroFolder can be found using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - MACROS.

Date: June 29, 2009 07:23PM

JamesD
eDOC786

EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS and make sure there is a check in the box for 'update checker'.

KM always has a profile. Find your current profile using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. Note- It is possible to have more than one, but only one is in use for a given instance of KM.

EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - IE FAVORITES and make sure there is a check in the box for 'enable support for IE Favorites'. A restart of KM is required for this change to take effect.

Macros can be located in either the MacroFolder or the UserMacroFolder. if you have a single profile is does not matter which. If you have multi profiles and you wish all profiles to have the macro you can use the MacroFolder or you would have to put the macro into the UserMacroFolder for each profile. I think that is right, but I only use one profile and the UserMacroFolder for all my macros. You can find your current UserMacroFolder with EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY and look for a folder named 'macros'. The MacroFolder can be found using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - MACROS.

Thanks.

1. Updater is checked.

2. Ok I have a Profile.........Vaio.

3. In IE style I have Favorites> Add page > Edit > Options > Links folder........Haven't added those 2 macros yet.

4. I have only 1 profile & user defined macro folder is empty while the default has a folder & KMM files........so I should put all macros in the default one........correct?

Date: June 30, 2009 01:49AM

JamesD,

I added the 2 macros file to the default macro folder, unchecked Netscape’s plugins & checked for IE, but still the same on restart?

Thanks.

Date: June 30, 2009 01:52AM

10. what should the recommended setting for Sessions tab in tool bar?

Sessions > Options?

Thanks again.

Date: June 30, 2009 10:36AM

Go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - MACRO EXTENSIONS and see if favrenadd shows in the list and has a check mark. If it does then go to TOOLS - ERROR CONSOLE and check to see if there are errors in the file.

Date: June 30, 2009 03:45PM

Thanks James I shall let you know since I am having issues with autoloader.exe, shutting & starting.

Cause till than I cant make any changes that need a restart?

Is there a bug in autoloader.....cause most here in the forums don't use it?

Why don't I get email notifications....is there a bug too lol?

Regards!

Doc.

Date: June 30, 2009 08:11PM

JamesD
Go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - MACRO EXTENSIONS and see if favrenadd shows in the list and has a check mark. If it does then go to TOOLS - ERROR CONSOLE and check to see if there are errors in the file.

Hello JamesD,

1. farenadd shows in Macro Extensions.

2. No errors in Tools> Error Console.

Now what?

Thanks again.

Doc.

Date: June 30, 2009 08:14PM

The 2 macros were saved in KM> Macros.......

Date: June 30, 2009 08:16PM

Still only see Favorites > Add page > Rename_Add > Edit > Options > Links...with an arrow but nothing in front of that arrow sign?

Date: June 30, 2009 11:08PM

If you see Rename-Add in the menu under Favorites then it is installed. Click on that instead of Add Page to use.

Date: July 01, 2009 02:03AM

JamesD
If you see Rename-Add in the menu under Favorites then it is installed. Click on that instead of Add Page to use.

1. When I add on Rename-Add > a small window displaying Rename the favorite tirle here> one has the option to change the name but when that it clicked > Browse for a folder windows opens IE favorites folders >....all added as single websites?

2. Should anything else be configured in F2> IE plugins > General/ Favorite Menu > Favorite Bar?

3. Can one customize Tool bar......Icons, Text, size/style?

Thanks & sorry to have bothered!

Doc.

Date: July 01, 2009 02:05AM

Favorites > Links Folder is empty?

Date: July 01, 2009 02:07AM

Keep adding & use IE > favorites > Organize to do all setting??

Date: July 01, 2009 02:25AM

Pages that I addded appear in IE favorites too......when I delete them there they do get deleted but won't delete from KM despite using Edit > Favorites to delete them.

Thanks again.

Date: July 01, 2009 10:44AM

It is a Windows thing. Works this way. Click on Rename_Add. Accept or change the name you wish for the shortcut and click OK. When asked for a folder do this. Does your Favorites have a + sysbol in the box just to the left of folder named Favorites? If yes, click on that + symbol and the list of folders under Favorites will appear. If no, click on the "Make new folder" item in the lower left of the box. A new folder, called "New Folder" will appear. The name will be highlighted. You may overtype the name with a name of your choice and then press "enter" to record the new name. In order to choose that folder you must then click on Favorites and then click on your new folder. Your new folder should then appear in the field called "folder:". You may then click OK and the shortcut will be added to your newly created folder. Note that the shortcut is written by a script not in KM. Therefore it will not appear in your dropdown list of favorites until you restart KM. If you are using the loader, you must restart that also. You can see your new item using the "Edit" option under favorites.

Date: July 01, 2009 07:34PM

Thanks JamesD for your detailed in depth explanation.

I appreciate your assistance,

Can one customize the toolbar?

Regards!

Doc.

Date: July 01, 2009 07:38PM

A couple of more questions:

1. Can one make a back up of favorites?

2. Customizing the tool bar if not possible than can one add a skin?

Thanks again.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.