General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Where is Default User Agent Located
Posted by: duffy98
Date: March 08, 2013 03:03PM

I am working on some User Agent changes in the Browser Configuration and am wondering where the Default User Agent is located or what it is called? I found a string labeled "General.UserAgent.Override" ... is this the "default" user agent?

I'd like to know the "default" User Agent for KM v1.6.0.2.4 ... not sure if it may have been changed along the way.

thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 03:33PM by duffy98.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where is Default User Agent Located
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 08, 2013 06:02PM

You can check the current user agent by going to this site.
http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

It is also in about:config or help - about K-Meleon.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.20pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

The General.UserAgent.Override pref holds a user agent that has been chosen to replace the default user agent.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 06:06PM by JamesD.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 08, 2013 06:21PM

Look here (click to enlarge):

that's all UA-settings there (this is my Twin ones)

Date: March 09, 2013 02:18AM

Thanks JamesD for the info. I found it in Help - about K-Meleon and it does match.

Yes rodocop ... I was putting some of the User Agents that are in your KM-Twin setup into the KM 1.6.0.2.4 setup.

thanks again

Posted by: monroe
Date: March 09, 2013 09:52PM

Hm, anyone else seeing only the custom UA in Help/About...?

I think there's not some complete UA string hard coded into KM, perhaps only the browser itself? Because users have different languages, systems, etc., and that is all part of their individual string.
Funnily my KM "default" UA had automatically switched from win98 to XP system after installation of kernelex :-)
Perhaps the "default" browser name and version are the ones contained in ../defaults/pref/kmeleon.js ?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 09, 2013 10:11PM

You are right - the default KM UA-string is combined dynamically as no file in KM installation contains full default string.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 09, 2013 10:12PM

@ monroe

Yes, part of the default user agent comes from ../defaults/pref/kmeleon.js. I think the other parts come from the gecko engine itself.

I am old and my memory is not the best, but I think when we used to get engine updates without a K-Meleon version change the gecko stuff would change once the components were updated. I don't think any update changed anything in chrome.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: March 09, 2013 11:34PM

I see there are more postings about the default User Agent ... I was going to ask a few more questions but all the postings after my last post have pretty much answered my questions ... monroe, thanks for mentioning about the default User Agent being "hardcoded" ... that's clears things up more. I would have asked more questions but I figured no one was probably all that interested, guess I was wrong.

Posted by: monroe
Date: March 11, 2013 12:44AM

Ah yes, right, the gecko engine is another piece in the UA puzzle, fetching a bit from here and a bit from there and... :-)

UA's sure are interesting, one of the most important KM-features for me. Especially since the KM engine is so old now and some stupid websites pretend it were the browsers fault if they don't show right. Funnily most of those sites do work fine after simply lying to them about the used browser tongue sticking out smiley Oh well, or sometimes it's just handy to switch to the mobile version of a website, which are much less cluttered, much faster, and mostly don't insist on javascript. Or quite often I don't see the enlarged product images on amazon, then I switch UA to operamini and see at least the mid-size version of the pics. Amazon is funny anyway, looks like they use different code for such stuff like images, possibly depending on creating time of a page?! On some pages the pics-enlarging works without tweaking, on some they work with UA Opera9, on some only with a fake mobile UA. I'd be lost without UA's :-)

And sometimes all UA tweaking doesn't help, but then there's still some KM "style" macro that allows to quickly remove the CSS page layout, which often works wonders too, although the pages look extremely basic afterwards - but ultrafast to scroll, when it was nearly frozen before :-)))

Date: March 11, 2013 09:43AM

monroe ... glad you posted more about User Agents ... I also over the last year have found them a lot more interesting. Just by changing from one to the other, certain web sites work better like nothing is wrong or out of the ordinary. I really like the KM browser ... have three versions on my computer and would like to keep them running as long as possible and different User Agents seem to help in that goal, at least for now. I also spend time at Amazon and sometimes things are OK with one browser and sometimes not ... have to change to another KM browser or a different UA. Yahoo can still be "fooled" and various other web sites but as you said, there are some web sites where nothing seems to work, haven't run into too many of them so far. Found a few User Agent web sites with hundreds or more of UAs.

UA Srings ...

http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/All/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 09:44AM by duffy98.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 11, 2013 09:50AM

JamesD
@ monroe

Yes, part of the default user agent comes from ../defaults/pref/kmeleon.js.

I think the other parts come from the gecko engine itself.

... I don't think any update changed anything in chrome.

Your memory is correct as always.

The gecko version is hard coded in a dll and changes with the engine updates.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.