General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Computer newbie seeking K-meleon assistance sad smiley
Posted by: Anonymously
Date: August 03, 2009 05:08PM

At least I manged to install it! However, there were some innate Firefox features I might be too fond of which hopefully, K-meleon can emulate; as an announced newbie, I hope I wasn't too blind-sighted in missing them. Now, the nuances:

-How do you save general settings you prefer? Everytime I close my computer K-meleon settings revert back to the original, so I have to change them back every time. Ex. I don't want it to show the print button, wants to show privacy bar, wants pipelining, etc.

-Is it possible to assemble a one-click favorites toolbar like Firefox?

-Can search areas have a "drop-down" bar of previous searches? Ex. If I search "platypus" on Google, typing "pla" shows previous, phrase-sharing entries

Thanks in advance for any inputs! The documentation was a bit beyond my comprehension, sorry... DX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Computer newbie seeking K-meleon assistance sad smiley
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 03, 2009 07:57PM

Anonymously
At least I manged to install it! However, there were some innate Firefox features I might be too fond of which hopefully, K-meleon can emulate; as an announced newbie, I hope I wasn't too blind-sighted in missing them. Now, the nuances:

-How do you save general settings you prefer? Everytime I close my computer K-meleon settings revert back to the original, so I have to change them back every time. Ex. I don't want it to show the print button, wants to show privacy bar, wants pipelining, etc.

-Can search areas have a "drop-down" bar of previous searches? Ex. If I search "platypus" on Google, typing "pla" shows previous, phrase-sharing entries

Thanks in advance for any inputs! The documentation was a bit beyond my comprehension, sorry... DX

Sorry, I do not understand. I use this browser since before Firefox existed.
Mouse can be set like Firefox in Tools menue.

1.) Make sure You have writing rights in Profile directory. There is an install setting that creates Profile in install directory. It loses prefs if You cannot write there.

2.) If You mean a sidebar: no. Always try right click, K-Meleon has context sensitive menues - You often can get extras on right click.

3.) Much documentation is by PPL that are not native English speakers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 08:01PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 03, 2009 08:21PM

Anonymously

Settings are saved when K-Meleon is closed. Check that you have privileges to write in your K-Meleon profile folder. (Edit - > Configuration -> Profile Directory)
If you don't know, try with a profile.ini file in K-Meleon folder.

Anonymously
View -> Toolbars -> Bookmarks to Netscape/Mozilla Bookmarks toolbar or,
Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> IE Favorites (section) -> Favorites Bar -> Enable Favorites Bar. (for IE favorites)

Anonymously

If you are searching from URL address bar;
Preferences (F2) -> Finding Websites -> URL bar autocompletion

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 08:22PM by desga2.

Date: August 04, 2009 05:59AM

Thanks to the two of you, but unfortunately I came upon some issues :s

With the inefficient Windows Vista, I believe that I don't have privileges to write there though I'm the admin; (Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory) takes me to My Documents rather than near the K-meleon folder. I installed K-meleon with the "allow multiple profiles" setting if that is of any use. How can I get the privileges to write there?

I believe I have the mental capacity to at least make the toolbar now, but it doesn't seem to save due to the above issue. sad smiley

Luckily K-meleon came with the URL drop-down bar setting, but I'm inquiring for general search areas, such as on Firefox's Google search at the top-right corner. (abandoning the Fox though as soon as this is resolved) Specifically, having searches auto-complete what I have typed before; "adb" shows "adblock," etc.

Date: August 04, 2009 10:01AM

Anonymously
Thanks to the two of you, but unfortunately I came upon some issues :s

With the inefficient Windows Vista, I believe that I don't have privileges to write there though I'm the admin; (Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory) takes me to My Documents rather than near the K-meleon folder. I installed K-meleon with the "allow multiple profiles" setting if that is of any use. How can I get the privileges to write there?

I believe I have the mental capacity to at least make the toolbar now, but it doesn't seem to save due to the above issue. sad smiley

Luckily K-meleon came with the URL drop-down bar setting, but I'm inquiring for general search areas, such as on Firefox's Google search at the top-right corner. (abandoning the Fox though as soon as this is resolved) Specifically, having searches auto-complete what I have typed before; "adb" shows "adblock," etc.

1.) Yes, You should have by default writing privileges at Your setup location.
That is how it should be and that is why K-Meleon is made to chose that "allow multiple profiles" as default.

I gave up on Vista, deleted it, use my "old" xp and Windows 7(sometimes).

You can probably grant more privileges via Vista's right click menu.

2.) You can AFAIK alter K-Meleon's autocomplete settings.

An installable search extension that is similar to what You describe exists.
You could check at the extension pages for useful stuf if MS and You ever get Vista going.

But it is not worth while the effort without that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 10:03AM by guenter.

Date: August 04, 2009 11:14AM

I don't know why or how, but after uninstalling & installing K-meleon settings began to save, which resolves most most of my issues! Drop-down searches sounded like a plug-in, I'll look for it.

Ok, no need for Firefox anymore, thank you Desga and Guenter smiling smiley

Date: August 04, 2009 03:27PM

You solved Your problems?! Neat - i love them solved smiling smiley

Maybe Your Vista read: what happened to mine

Speaking about searches: jsnj published a great addition.

Looks as if the modular macros system created parallel working macro developers grinning smiley

Fred's NiX adaptions come with several pre-configured search options.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.