General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Questions about k-meleon browser
Posted by: cameon
Date: May 28, 2013 12:10AM

1. Can you use Lastpass with it?
2. Is k-meleon the lightest of all browsers for Windows?
3. Is there anyway I can get the tabs to show on the top of the browser, not on the bottom?
4. How do you block ads?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 12:12AM by cameon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about k-meleon browser
Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 28, 2013 07:36AM

1. Yes. Look for LastPassLite extension.

Search forum by the keyword 'lastpass' or 'lastpasslite'. There are much useful info here about using it.

2. Speaking about comparatively modern graphical browsers - yes.

3. Yes. Preferences->GUI Appearance->Toolbars->Display tab bar: as toolbar (K-Meleon 1.5-1.7)

4. AdBlock Plus

Date: May 29, 2013 04:23PM

Thank you.

Starting from yesterday, for some reason k-meleon browser won't open no matter how many times I press on the icon.

I suppose I could uninstall and re-download and re-install k-meleon but i might lose all my bookmarks.

Can you import bookmarks from Chrome too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 04:24PM by cameon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 29, 2013 05:00PM

cameon
Thank you.

1.) Starting from yesterday, for some reason k-meleon browser won't open no matter how many times I press on the icon.

I suppose I could uninstall and re-download and re-install k-meleon but i might lose all my bookmarks.

2.) Can you import bookmarks from Chrome too?

1.) No. Check Your security settings. That error is typical of a security software (usually a firewall) that stops a browser from starting.

2.) Yes. All browsers can do "export as html". Password manager settings... or so.

They all export into the old Netscape "bookmarks.html" format.
K-Meleon reads and can use that format. It is BTW the K-Meleon default bookmarks format. smiling smiley

Rename the exported file to bookmarks.html and go via F2 to "k-meleon/Plugins/Netscape Bookmarks Plugin" and set either the search field "Browse" to this specific bookmarks.html location or else copy the file to Your K-Meleon profile location where it will be found automatically when K-Meleon starts again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 05:07PM by guenter.

Date: May 29, 2013 05:49PM

How can I prevent the firewall error?

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 30, 2013 03:00AM

I do not know which firewall You are using. Normally You set the firewall into learning mode and click ok when You are asked whether that application may start.

Here You probably negated that question. Go to Your firewall settings and either delete K-Meleon so that You are asked again. Or alter the settings manually. The later is done under System -> Windows Fire Wall -> Exceptions if You use XP or other newer Windows own firewall settings.

p.s. Another situation that causes the same error as You decribe is when You installed K-Meleon into another location than c:/program files as administrator and later try to use it as a non privileged user.

Like I have one 1.6 in e:/.k-meleon1.6beta2.en-US. I have to grant special rights to that location to get it to work for a normal user account.

In the later case the solution is right on the folder go to properties and grant writing rights to the folder or make it a network folder where the user can access.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 03:03AM by guenter.

Date: June 18, 2013 12:28AM

1. I clicked on the lastpasslite but it didn't do anything. It did ask me what I would like to open the file with but I ignored that because I didn't know. What could I be doing wrong?

2. Is there a way you can just search google when you type in a word in the address bar? for example typing 'weather' would search weather on google instead of going to weather.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 12:30AM by cameon.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 18, 2013 09:04AM

1. What is your version of KM? LastPassLite doesn't work in KM 1.7 by default. You need some tweaking (read this post and around or BETTER that thread).
Even in 1.6 LastPassLite has comparatively hard learning curve. You need read all you could find at the web about using it.

2. Yes.
Preferences -> Browsing -> Finding websites -> Keyword Autosearch

Change Google, I'm feeling lucky to Google Search

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 12:39PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.