General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is K-Meleon Dead?
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 21, 2013 04:10PM

For 1.6. Date says 01.07.2012. I do not recall who posted the link.
deadlock must have commented on in or posted it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 21, 2013 09:29PM

I should not do this, but I will.

K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 is nearing completion. I am trying to collect all the new items that I can, and get them in this version. Maybe in early to mid July, the release will be ready.

I am to go on a trip next week, so no work gets done by me then. Please have some patience.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: June 22, 2013 07:21AM

That's really good news !!! Thanks in advance, James, and have a nice trip.

Mala Okeh

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 22, 2013 01:37PM

James,
try first to integrate all your own new stuff into new beta!

I'll wait for this job completion to base my Twin 2.0 on your newest build.

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: June 22, 2013 02:31PM

rodocop
James,
try first to integrate all your own new stuff into new beta!

I'll wait for this job completion to base my Twin 2.0 on your newest build.

@rodocop:
Hope you include Qupzilla in this build as suggested by you in this thread :drool:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,124994

soccerfan

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 22, 2013 04:44PM

it depends on QupZilla only ;-)

Being precise, on its quality.

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: June 23, 2013 12:04AM

rodocop
it depends on QupZilla only ;-)
Being precise, on its quality.

Fair enough :cool:

soccerfan

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: June 30, 2013 12:50AM

that is food news James, take your time, enjoy yourself. If you build it, they would all come...back?

Guenter, thanks for your reply's. The beta with Dorian's update could be the missing beta 3?

Date: July 03, 2013 11:45AM

K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6

I have collected some new pieces and put them together as a new beta release for K-Meleon 1.6.0. The release is a 7-Zip so users can install in two ways. If you wish to have your profile in the same folder tree as the program, then you only have to make a folder, extract the files in 7z to that folder and run the executable named k-meleon. If you need your profile to be in your %APPDATA% folder then follow the same steps except prior to running k-meleon.exe you should delete the file named profile.ini which has 0 bytes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot6_en-US.7z

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: duffy98
Date: July 03, 2013 02:51PM

JamesD ... thanks for the new K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 version. Just discovered it and am working with it now getting it set up ... may have some questions later on ... looks nice, thanks again ... you rock!

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 03, 2013 03:20PM

Can you enumerate the changes? smiling smiley What have you added, changed smiling smiley

Date: July 03, 2013 04:40PM

John,

Follow the link in the readme.html file. Everything is explained there.

JamesD

Posted by: duffy98
Date: July 03, 2013 05:17PM

JamesD ... I have never been able to figure this out ... if you make a mistake in the "About: Config" with a bad entry how do you delete or remove it completely? I know how to edit it but I would like to get rid of the entry.
thanks ...

update ... it looks like the entry has disappeared, it seems to be gone ... I hit "reset" but don't see it now. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the browser. Looks good so far, still working on settings for customization.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 06:41PM by duffy98.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 03, 2013 08:46PM

JamesD
John,

Follow the link in the readme.html file. Everything is explained there.

Ok, seen. I didn't open the readme.html or Additions.htm (where it is actually all the information). I didn't think it was there (as with 2.4 weren't the changes in readme.html) and I preferred to know before overwrite anything winking smiley

I just have a doubt.

The autocomplete fix is for this bug I reported?:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1358

Just to mark it as solved with a reply (as I can't do anything else).

Posted by: Charlie
Date: July 05, 2013 11:54AM

If K-meleon would migrate its engine to WebKit/Blink it would be a disaster; see what happend to Opera 15 based on Blink - it is just bare bones. And multi-process results in very high RAM demand like all Chrome clones. On the other hand sticking to Gecko is not an option.

Well, we should follow the people behind Camino and anounce that K-Meleon is no longer being developed and ecourage users to switch to a modern browser.

Date: July 05, 2013 04:54PM

Stronger CPU and more RAM are the future anyway. So why not go multy process?

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: July 06, 2013 07:06PM

Charlie
If K-meleon would migrate its engine to WebKit/Blink it would be a disaster; see what happend to Opera 15 based on Blink - it is just bare bones. And multi-process results in very high RAM demand like all Chrome clones. On the other hand sticking to Gecko is not an option.

Well, we should follow the people behind Camino and anounce that K-Meleon is no longer being developed and ecourage users to switch to a modern browser.

Why is sticking with Gecko not an option? Its working for me on most sites.

Date: July 06, 2013 08:48PM

I think the problem is that none of us still working in KM have the knowledge to make a Microsoft Foundation Class version of the modern Gecko engines. Mozilla used to provide that, but they no longer do so.

JamesD

Date: July 06, 2013 09:34PM

Zero3K
Charlie

Why is sticking with Gecko not an option? Its working for me on most sites.

It still does on legacy but not on newly created html pages.
You already reported a fault on a German non rendering TV page. Remember?

Mozilla does not offer stable interfaces anymore like they used when they supported mfc.embed. The same is true for some other interfaces/toolkits Mozilla used to support.

Mozilla is dead as option for Camino, K-Meleon and several other browsers like Qtembed... base ones.

The path is either Chrome engine or invest time on non fixed and non stable programming interfaces. That later option would be Sisyphus' work.
Who would want to do the work or finance it? K-MELEON NEEDS EITHER OR / OR BOTH.

All other old Mozilla based projects besides K-Meleon have quit or moved to Chrome. IMHO K-Meleon.org has the same 2 options.

mfG guenter

p.s. mfG = German 4 "With friendly greetings"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2013 09:36PM by guenter.

Posted by: Martin Radespiel
Date: July 13, 2013 09:40PM

Hi,

ich habe große Probleme unter Win7 auf meinen Notbook die 1.6.0 Version zum laufen zu bringen.
Neu installation bringt keine Löhsung.
Das Problem ist das keine Internetseite damit aufgerunfen wird und der Browserinnhalt mit der Desktopgrafik geladen wird.
Nach dem Schließen stürtz das Programm mit einem Fehlerhinweis ab.
Auf meinem anderen Rechner läuft diese Version einwandfrei.
Welche Löhsung gibt es hier für ?

hi,

I have to bring large problems on Win7 on my notbook the 1.6.0 version to run.
New installation does not bring Löhsung.
The problem is that no website is so aufgerunfen and Browserinnhalt is loaded with the desktop graphics.
After the close program MURCHISON with an error indication.
This version on my other computer running properly.
What Löhsung there is here for?

Date: July 14, 2013 11:30AM

Hello Martin,

I would like to answer your question, but I know only English language. Some words in your question do not translate for me. Are there alternate words you can try for Löhsung, aufgerunfen and Browserinnhalt?

JamesD

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 15, 2013 07:13AM

JamesD
Hello Martin,

I would like to answer your question, but I know only English language. Some words in your question do not translate for me. Are there alternate words you can try for Löhsung, aufgerunfen and Browserinnhalt?

I think he misspelled the first two:
Lösung - solution
aufgerufen - called
Browserinhalt - Browser content

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 07:13AM by panzer.

Date: July 15, 2013 11:47AM

@ Martin

I have had an e-mail and a posting to help with the translation. I now think your question was as follows.

I have huge problems with Win7 on my Notebook the 1.6.0 version to the running. New installation brings no solution. The problem is that any website that is called and the browser content is loaded to the desktop. crashes the program with an error message after closing. This version runs fine on my other computer. What solution is there for this?

I need some more information in order to understand your problem.

1. Which KM 1.6.0 version are you using? Official Beta 2, or one of my versions beta 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 or another versions like Twin or Db+.

2. Does the error occur once the first page is loaded or only when you close the browser?

3. What is the operating system of your other computer?

JamesD

Date: July 15, 2013 04:14PM

Martin Radespiel
Hi,

ich habe große Probleme unter Win7 auf meinen Notbook die 1.6.0 Version zum laufen zu bringen.
Neu installation bringt keine Löhsung.
Das Problem ist das keine Internetseite damit aufgerunfen wird und der Browserinnhalt mit der Desktopgrafik geladen wird.
Nach dem Schließen stürtz das Programm mit einem Fehlerhinweis ab.
Auf meinem anderen Rechner läuft diese Version einwandfrei.
Welche Löhsung gibt es hier für ?

hi,

I have to bring large problems on Win7 on my notbook the 1.6.0 version to run.
New installation does not bring Löhsung.
The problem is that no website is so aufgerunfen and Browserinnhalt is loaded with the desktop graphics.
After the close program MURCHISON with an error indication.
This version on my other computer running properly.
What Löhsung there is here for?

1.6 will work on Windows 7 / 64 bit. But make sure that You have writing rights to the Instalation & Profiles folders. If needed grant them manually. If K-Meleon does not load web content - a firewall or other security device prevents it from access to the net.

In Your case it sounds like K-Meleon has the right to start but not the right to enter the net. That is enough English answer & easier to type German
& esyer to be more verbose in my native language 4 me.

Mit welcher Fehlermeldung stürtzt er ab? Mäno. Das ist wichtig.

Lösung - Solution.

Sicher stellen das deine Sicherheitssoftware/Firewall K-Meleon kennt und er in den vom System vorgesehenen Verzeichnissen ist und schreibt. Dann hast du automatisch die nötigen Rechte.

Also mit 1.6 und allen vorher - wenn was nicht geht Firewall oder was du sonst noch für Sicherheit nutzt informieren; Oder nachträglich sicher stellen, dass du als Nutzer Schreibrechte im Installations und Profiles Verzeichnis hast. Notfalls händisch Rechte geben - Rechts Klick und so weiter.

Unter Windows 7 mit dem Installer installieren, nicht mit der 7z Version und nicht mit einer per USB Stick einfach rüber kopierten Version arbeiten. Sonst musst du alle Rechte händisch setzen. Benutze unbedingt das Verzeichnis das Windows 7 dem Browser zur Installation anbietet; nur den Namen darfst du dort dann ändern.

SetDefault.exe geht unter Windows 7 und XP SP3 nicht richtig.

Natürlich bringt neu installieren nix. 1.) Die Sicherheitssoftware musst du verstellen, Damit er ins Web darf. Firewall oder andere Sicherheitssoftware verhindert das jetzt. Er darf bei dir jetzt starten, aber nicht ins Net.
2.) Sobald du einmal an der falschen Stelle installiert hast, wird der Platz immer wieder angeboten. Dann musst du die Rechte händisch setzen.

Die Craschs dürften von mangelnden Rechten sein. Entweder sind es dll, die nicht richtig funtzen oder nicht im System angemeldet sind - oder K-Meleon selbst fehlen irgend welche Rechte.

p.s. Die meisten 1.6 Menüs lassen sich ins Deutsch übersetzen indem du das locales Verzeichnis von 1.5.4 nach 1.6 kopierst, dann Browser neu startest & F2 drückst & dann Gui Appearance auf German setzt. mfG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 09:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: July 18, 2013 01:05PM

JamesD
Hello Martin,

As sophisticated as software translators have become, they do leave lot to be desired.¬_¬

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Saint
Date: August 11, 2013 08:12AM

May I ask what is good alternative to K-meleon? Personally been using K-Meleon CCF ME by Hao Jiang for a number of years before I stop using few years ago. Looking for a good alternative browser with small footprint for Windows 8 that still has good development like what K-meleon used to enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 08:13AM by Saint.

Date: August 11, 2013 11:30AM

The most recent release is 1.6.0 beta 2.6

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot6_en-US.7z

JamesD

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 14, 2013 11:04PM

Saint
May I ask what is good alternative to K-meleon? Personally been using K-Meleon CCF ME by Hao Jiang for a number of years before I stop using few years ago. Looking for a good alternative browser with small footprint for Windows 8 that still has good development like what K-meleon used to enjoy.

Saint,

As Mozilla no longer provides the embed for its Gecko engine, the only other third party browsers out there are based on Apple's WebKit engine. I was using QTWeb, but it looks like they have stopped development. Google's Chrome used to use WebKit, but they have changed (along with Opera) to something else, probably a spinoff of WebKit, which came originally from Apple and I supose Safari, but am not sure. KHTML was good for Linux I think, but have zero experience with that OS, so am ignorant there.

I have used SlimBoat with some success, but it fails on Google email (sometimes) and crashes every now and then.

No good answer for you I'm sorry to say.

N

Posted by: bksening
Date: August 15, 2013 10:54PM

Just for everyone's info..... the new rendering engine used by Chrome and Opera is called Blink, which is Google's fork/spinoff from WebKit.

http://www.chromium.org/blink

Posted by: D555
Date: August 16, 2013 09:10PM

btw Opera became just another clone of chrome ((( for the shame of the new Opera CEO ,I hardly hope that some day one good reach man will buy it and make it opensource...

But keeping the topic, I have one idea for K_Meleon - is to skip to "Chromeless" code, so lets talk about it:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,125350

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 09:07PM by D555.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.