General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Some file types have gone AWOL.
Posted by: caktus
Date: August 27, 2009 12:45AM

Yesterday my system crashed and would only startup in safe mode. Since I could not fix the problem I decided to perform a repair install of the OS. But it gave me an error message that I would have to do a complete reinstallation because it had SP3 instead of the OEM's SP2. I tried uninstalling SP3 so I could try a repair install. But after removing SP3 the computer seem to work fine. So I reinstalled SP3 and all seemed to work fine. Everything works fine now except file types/extensions (NONE) URL:HTTP and (NONE) URL:HTTPS have disappeared.

All Internet shortcuts now open with IE6 unless I first open K-Meleon (my preferred browser) and then navigate to Internet sites. When I open the Favorites folder all shortcuts have the K-Meleon logo, then they all change to the IE logo.

I can create a new (NONE) URL:HTTP or
(NONE) URL:HTTPS file type but the computer will not allow me to create both file types as one cancels out/replaces the other. And IE6 still steals default status even when I associate K-Meleon with the new file types.

Can anyone suggest any possible fix before I deep-six the entire system and do a complete reinstallation?

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some file types have gone AWOL.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 27, 2009 01:45AM

Open KM and go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING. Click on the bar which says "Set as default browser".

Re: Some file types have gone AWOL.
Posted by: caktus
Date: August 27, 2009 04:02AM

JamesD
Open KM and go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING. Click on the bar which says "Set as default browser".

Sorry, James. I should have mentioned that I had tried setting default status several times using the SetDefault.exe in the KM directory but it did not help. I just tried to set default status using the method you suggest but the problem persists

EDIT: Late breaking news.
Problem solved but thank you any way. I took a wild chance and restored with an ERUNT backup dated July 23 2008 that I copied to a CD following an OS reinstall for in case I messed up creating new settings and wanted to start over. I can't believe this ancient backup actually worked. I still had to reassociate the http and https file type extensions. Using this old backup has caused me to loose a couple of Internet shortcuts of no consequence but that's all, so far.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 04:48PM by caktus.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.