K-Meleon not opening properly anymore
Posted by: rjf
Date: September 05, 2013 02:36PM

Have been using this particular version of K-mel for a long time.

Then suddenly it started acting funny. When I try to open it I get an error message "could not open file", then the browser opens, but with a stripped down version. Hotlist and ie plugins were disabled, and I think some of the toolbars (security) are missing.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Re: K-Meleon not opening properly anymore
Posted by: Green8
Date: September 06, 2013 01:43AM

I think you may have a problem in kplugins folder.

Make sure that the folder is exists and accessible.

Since it's an old , try to copy kplugins folder to someplace else , if you get an error , Then it's a bad sector in that Partial of hard disk, fix damages in the Partial, through Right Click the Partial and choose Properties>>Tools>> Error Checking.

Date: September 06, 2013 02:13AM

Thanks for replying Green8.

Plugins folder copied just fine. I don't think it's a bad sector. What happened was that sometimes lately if I have numerous things opened sometimes k-mel won't open. This particular time I had about 25 windoze explorer windows opened, 3 or 4 different music players opened, and at least 1 other browser also opened.

K-mel wouldn't open (got the beep), and I just got pissed and kept clicking on the icon over and over and over and over and over etc... then the problem happened. Guess it was just getting back at me. lol

In addition to the hotlist and ie plugin (which came back fine) my main toolbar is also missing. The one with the back-forward buttons. Can't seem to get it back either. And I still get the "could not open file" error. Also if I open more than 3 browser windows k-mel crashes immediately.

Thanks.

Posted by: Green8
Date: September 06, 2013 05:09AM

From what you said , it's seems a problem in binary files , maybe some corrupted files or virus .

In any case you can use the same 7zip packages version From , to replace the old binary files .

Make sure to create backup of km folder .

start by replace the ExE & dll in the Main km folder with new one from original km version ,then open and see if it repair the problem.

If not try replace the kplugin folder & open the prog.

The last step is to replace the components folder with the new one and keep in mind that some extensions put some files in components folder .

the other folder have script base files.

And you should know that:

Profiles >> your current profiles setting .
chrome >> for extensions (xul) files (All script base files).
kmextensions >> info about extensions installed .
macros >> macros files (script base files).
skins >> KM icons,toolbars.
tools >> extensions with binary base files .
defaults >> default setting for pref, profiles ,menus and some extensions pref (All script base files).

components >> engine core files .
greprefs >> some global pref seting (script base files).
kplugins >> plugin binary files for km workspace .
modules >> some updates to engine files .
plugins >> plugin for browser (like flash ).
res >> resource for km basic look (images ,css,others).

You can move the green folders to any KM version and it will look Like The old one setting .

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 06, 2013 11:37PM

It seems your system had suddenly lost MS VC++ 2005 libraries (some incorrect uninstall of any software or whatever like)
Try to reinstall them (look for link above)

Date: September 09, 2013 02:36PM

Green8,

Sorry I haven't replied back until now. I've been searching for the original zip/7z file as mine was one of the specialized builds from here on the forum. Haven't found it yet, but I know I've got it somewhere. If I find it I'll just copy my bookmarks, etc..., and reinstall.

rodocop
It seems your system had suddenly lost MS VC++ 2005 libraries (some incorrect uninstall of any software or whatever like)
Try to reinstall them (look for link above)

Hello rodocop, thanks for replying.

I don't think I'm missing any system files as I have other versions of k-mel on my computer that still work just fine. Just this one particular one corrupted something with my constant repetetive clicking.

Also I just installed the KM-16-S2014 version in your sig to double-check, and it seems to be working fine as well.

Date: September 09, 2013 07:45PM

rjf,

you're right. If Fred's build (S2014) works - then all libs are there too.

But what was your custom build (what is written in 'about'?) Maybe I could help you to find it once again.

And one more thing: give us some screenshots of corrupted instance of KM - this would help to help you! ;-)

Date: September 10, 2013 12:07AM

rodocop,

The build I had was an old one of Fred's. It doesn't really matter that much about the exact version. I had just gotten used to it, and was too lazy to try something new. We all get set in our ways from time to time. It's probably better to use a newer version anyway.

I had hoped to find a quick fix (again out of laziness), but since then I have migrated most of my profile over to the newer version. My main worry was that although I knew how/where to copy my hotlist, and cookie files I wasn't sure where my passwords/logins (and sessions) were stored. I have since searched the forum here to find out that it's a ".s" file. Funny that I couldn't find it in the k-meleon documentation.

I will probably try the other two in your sig, and decide on 1, or 2 of them. I also have k-meleon twin installed, but have not used it much because I had just gotten used to the older version (again laziness).

If you're still curious though I've uploaded a screenshot of the error message, and the browser opened.

I know it's missing at least the main bar, and the privacy bar.

http://img178.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66344_k_mel_error_1__2013_09_09_173044_122_373lo.jpg

http://img278.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66345_k_mel_error_2__2013_09_09_175139_122_450lo.jpg

thanks again.

Date: September 10, 2013 01:59AM

I was heavily using KM 1.02 Pro (russian custom build) and it was one of the best assemblies ever. I understand your addiction to that one smiling smiley

Well, good luck in new life with modern KM.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.