General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-M SLOW LOADING: IS IT DUE TO LARGE BOOKMARKS FILE?
Posted by: Just Me
Date: October 17, 2009 08:41PM

Hi again, folks.

Lately we've noticed that K-M seems to take a long time (i.e., many seconds instead of speedily hopping to it, like it used to do) to LOAD & START when we click the icon to start it up. We're not sure why, but suspect that it MIGHT (?) be due to a growing set of Bookmarks. (Although our bookmarks.html is only about 150k--does not seem that large!?)

Is there some way to ARCHIVE the Bookmarks file and start fresh, so that we can still keep the older Bookmarks but K-M won't "CHOKE" at load-time because of a large Bookmark file? (Also, we do not "preload" K-M at Windows start-up; we prefer to just load it when we need it.)

P.S. Am only SPECULATING that the slow load-time is due to a fat Bookmarks file; figured it would be an easy thing to fix and check to see if load-time improves if we have a smaller Bookmarks file. Then if it's still slow, maybe we can fiddle with something else. Thanks in advance for your kind help! Cheers! :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-M SLOW LOADING: IS IT DUE TO LARGE BOOKMARKS FILE?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 17, 2009 09:03PM

Just Me
(Although our bookmarks.html is only about 150k--does not seem that large!?)

Mine is 170KB so probably not the bookmarks.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 17, 2009 09:25PM

Just Me
we do not "preload" K-M at Windows start-up

Loading the Loader.exe at startup seems to require very little if any resources. Also by right clicking on the Loader.exe icon > left click on Config you can set Preload to Extreme to further increase KM's load time. I understand that setting it to Extreme may cause problems but I have never known it to cause problems.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: siria
Date: October 17, 2009 10:22PM

Hmm, frankly, don't like that loader thing personally, because people fiddle with their settings and skins and think they restarted, but keep forgetting that the loader must be restarted too, so nothing works ;-)
So, as long as KM starts rather quick without it too, and it did seem to do that here, so the culprit is probably elsewhere than just the normal program... No clue, sorry...
But for a quick test for bookmarks, I think it's just a simple file "bookmarks.html" in the profile folder? Could simply be renamed in the file explorer, then KM restarted, and suppose it then may create a new bookmarks file.
But no risk if there's a backup copy of the program folder and profile folder ;-)

Mostly when startup gets slower it seems to have to do with some "phishing protection" filters, perhaps an addon... (but just wildly guessing in the dark)

Posted by: Just Me
Date: October 18, 2009 08:32PM

Hi again,

[Embedded in this tedious saga below are a few questions, if anyone has the forebearance to read and try to answer. Thanks! smiling smiley]

Now we're really confused!
1. We renamed the bookmarks.html file that was about 140K (located in something called profiles\top4****.default
-> QUESTION: (is that a legitimate file? --We blocked some of the letters in the name herein because we're not sure if that is a generic or personalized file name & we're uber-cautious about security.)

2. Anyway, after renaming it, K-M recreated a new, empty bookmarks.html file in that profiles directory. (There's also a 3k bookmarks.html file in the directory called Program files\K-Meleon\defaults\profile;
-> QUESTION: Not sure why it needs two different profiles and bookmarks.html files?)

3. Anyhow, once the file had been renamed, K-M loaded very fast, because there was nothing in the bookmarks.html file. Then as a test, we unchecked under OPTIONS to provide OPERA and NETSCAPE bookmark functions. Then when we restarted K-M, there was no BOOKMARKS link at top of K-M. So then we reselected both Opera and Netscape functionality for bookmarks. And we renamed our original bookmarks.html file back to reactivate that file and see how slowly or quickly K-M loaded. Then K-M restarted quickly!

4. (Very confused now. )
-> QUESTION: Did we clean something up, or does K-M reload quickly after an initial load?
To test this, we shut down and restarted & timed things:
It took K-M about 7-8 seconds to load initially; then later loads took only 1-2 seconds. (Not sure what we're proving here?!)

5. QUESTION: Is there any way that something MALICIOUS can RUN from a bookmarks.html file? Can a website have a malicious program that runs merely from the bookmarks?
Just wondering.

Thanks for any help; sorry if our questions seem roundabout & gnarly! We tried to tidy up our rambling saga & questions, to facilitate reading & responding... HTH.

Cheers!
:-D

Posted by: siria
Date: October 18, 2009 09:00PM

Whow - let me join you in being very confused now! ;-)

I'm not an expert, just an end-user like you, with a little more experience for KM, but simply renaming a file back and forth can't really change it, no???

1) That's okay, every time a new profile is created, it get's a random name.
2) That's okay too, in the default-folder are the templates for the initial bookmarks-files for new profiles.
3) This is odd, but really, can't quite imagine that renaming has any effect, so probably something else was the reason, nothing to do with the bookmarks-file itself?? As you say in 4) that perhaps something got cleaned up somehow... *confused too*
4) When I'm changing anything in the configuration, KM starts much slower too, suppose that's normal. That's only the first start afterwards, but then it usually only takes 1-2 seconds again, on win98 with 256 RAM, no loader. Some people use that loader though to speed up starting, no idea if you do too, but that would explain quicker re-starts too.
5) no clue again, but you didn't really change anything in the html-file *confused too*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 09:02PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 18, 2009 11:55PM

Regarding 4), I think it is an operating system method. I have also noticed that the first load of KM is much longer than the next load. This happens with other programs also. I have KM 1.1.6 and KM 1.5.3 on my system. When I use one and then the other, each load is slower. If I use one version two times, the second load is much faster.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: October 19, 2009 01:52PM

JamesD
Regarding 4), I think it is an operating system method. I have also noticed that the first load of KM is much longer than the next load. This happens with other programs also. I have KM 1.1.6 and KM 1.5.3 on my system. When I use one and then the other, each load is slower. If I use one version two times, the second load is much faster.

yes,i agree.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.