General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
1.7 Zoom not working, sort of:s
Posted by: caktus
Date: November 02, 2013 04:09AM

1.7 Zoom not working, sort of:s

When I open a new window, Zoom works from the View menu but does not work from Ctrl+mouse wheel unless I first Zoom from the View menu.

When I open a new tab, Zoom from Crtl+mouse wheel doesn't work unless I first Zoom from the View menu or click on a previous tab then back.

Might anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1.7 Zoom not working, sort of:s
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 02, 2013 07:15AM

Have you installed a 'bugfix' to 1.7 from realgy?

I have no idea about would it fix your problem or not but it's invaluable fix for 1.7 inborn bug.

Try this and tell us about.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 02, 2013 08:24AM

Try to have a look, and perhaps print or export, the prefs values between when launching, and after having used zoom menu.

I wouldn't be surprised if a pref has changed or has been set.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 08:29AM by JujuLand.

Date: November 02, 2013 07:52PM

@ rodocop

I installed the bug fix macro. As you suggested, it didn't fix the zoom problem.

@ JujuLand

I'm not sure I understand which "prefs" to check. I checked the before and after prefs in about:config and didn't notice any changes.

BTW, more zoom problems. Occasionally, a page will not zoom using Ctrl+mouse wheel even after using zoom in the View menu or after having clicked back and fourth between tabs. Also, now sometimes zoom in the view menu doesn't work and some times a page will zoom using Ctrl+mouse wheel after leaving the page or tab open for a few minutes.

I am beginning to think maybe the installation is corrupted and I may need to download a fresh copy of 1.7.

Late breaking news: I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 1.7 and with the default installation I experienced the same problems.

I guess I will download and try Twin again if I can find the D/L link again.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 08:22PM by caktus.

Date: November 02, 2013 08:17PM

what is your assembly of 1.7 build?

Look for size and date of zoom.kmm - my KM Twin has this file created at 30.08.2010 and sized as 5977b.

And it works properly.

Date: November 02, 2013 08:52PM

rodocop
what is your assembly of 1.7 build?

Look for size and date of zoom.kmm - my KM Twin has this file created at 30.08.2010 and sized as 5977b.

And it works properly.

For the 1.7 I just downloaded and installed, the zoom.kmm Properties Details indicates Date Created 11/2/2013
but Date Modified 7/23/2008 (that's weird)
and Size 5.97KB.

Zoom works with Ctrl+mouse wheel except for tabs.

Another problem I m experiencing with the new install of 1.7 is regardless how I set Tab bar mouse control, Browsing and Tabbed Browsing settings, I can only open two tabs. and all sucesssive tabs open in the second tab and when I click to close the second tab those previouse tabs come into focus but the last (second) tab will not closed unless I click on the "X" and OK to close all tabs. I hope what I am saying here makes since.

Charlie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 09:33PM by caktus.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 03, 2013 12:40AM

I have put a version A2 of KM 1.7 here. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.7a2.7z

I don't know if it is any better than the one you are trying, but I don't think I have the problems that you noted except for a slow response for Crtl + mouse wheel. This version has two KM.exe files. I am using the larger one and the zoom.kmm date is correct.

This may be exactly what you can get from Sourceforge. I just cannot remember from where and when I obtained it.

I hope this is of some use.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 03, 2013 01:36AM

Thank you, James. I'll install this one and see how it works out.

Charlie

Date: November 04, 2013 05:57AM

@ JamesD RE: K-Meleon 1.7.0

When I pin a km.exe to the task bar or create a shortcut using the Default.exe the KM.exe's do not work and renders an error "Could not initialize XPCOM." However, KM.exe shortcuts created from "Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)" and then pinned to Taskbar do work.

Even though I ran Default.exe, the older Internet shortcuts including Favorites shortcuts render the error: "Could not initialize XPCOM. I have tried to manually reset the file associations but that didn't work either. Do you have any idea what might be causing this error or how to fix it?

When I open a new window, zoom with Ctrl+Mouse wheel works as it should. However, links that I open in a new tab will not zoom with Ctrl+Mouse wheel, but it does work after clicking on a previous tab then back. The zoom buttons work as they should.

Aside from the error, I can deal with the zoom problems as this version otherwise seems to be stable. The version also seems to load pages a little faster and more properly, though it still has a little trouble loading some images but I understand that is expected so far.

Perhaps the problems are related to Windows 8, more and more I am learning to hate this OS.:mad: More and more I feel like throwing Windows 8 out the window and replacing it with XP Pro even though it will soon loose support.:mad:

Charlie

Date: November 04, 2013 11:23AM

Charlie,

look this message and the next one in that thread...

Date: November 04, 2013 04:26PM

rodocop
Charlie,

look this message and the next one in that thread...

If your simply conferring that the problems with 1.7a are innate to it's make-up, I can dig it. Hopefully, a developer will come along and complete the work for us KM'ers. But if you're just poking some fun at my spastic grammar I can only say touché.grinning smiley Most days of late, I have to lead a rather medicated life and I tend to get lost in things.

BTW, I'll probably manage to continue using 1.7a since it has become super fast after having used it for a while.

Charlie

Date: November 04, 2013 05:21PM

No jokes-pokes ;-) This is a 'by-design' problem.

But my 1.7 works fine from the Seven's Taskbar (it's KM Twin's 1.7 made from db+ build)

Date: November 04, 2013 11:06PM

rodocop
No jokes-pokes ;-) This is a 'by-design' problem.

But my 1.7 works fine from the Seven's Taskbar (it's KM Twin's 1.7 made from db+ build)

I've used both and so far and I seem to be experiencing the same on both builds. I really don't see any difference. Well, so far.

I'm beginning to think it may be a compatibility problem with Windows 8 or perhaps particular settings I've assigned to something. Perhaps it has something to do with Classic Shell and my trying to make Windows 8 as UN-Windows 8 as I can manage. What ever it is, it's not enough to make me stop using KM.

Late breaking news::cool: Dumped everything KM and went back to 1.6beta2.6 and customized it and at least everything is back they it was before I started massing with the 1.7's. After I rest my mind for a spell I'll start messing with 1.7 again, probably the db+ build.

Charlie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 03:09AM by caktus.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.