General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15

Posted by: adodupan
Date: December 11, 2013 06:23AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 09:01PM by adodupan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone still using kmeleon?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 11, 2013 01:04PM

In KM 1.6 the "network.http.max-connections-per-server" has a value of 15. That pref is not included in KM 74.

@ adodupan

Is that what you meant or am I confused again? If that pref is missing, what is the default? Is it set by the server?

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 01:05PM by JamesD.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 11, 2013 03:47PM

There isn't any missing pref in KM as all we'd define in many config files will be PRESENT and otherwise - MISSING tongue sticking out smiley

We should say about WORKING or NOT WORKING prefs in relation to KM74.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 12, 2013 05:44AM

JamesD
In KM 1.6 the "network.http.max-connections-per-server" has a value of 15. That pref is not included in KM 74.

@ adodupan

Is that what you meant or am I confused again? If that pref is missing, what is the default? Is it set by the server?

If a pref is not included any more it has a reasonable and current default value or it does not function any more. So it does no harm when it is not present any more. So it is IMHO in no way urgent or essential to know them all.

Info about prefs can be found via Google in the Mozilla Knowledge Base / MozillaZine Knowledge Base. That is where I search or verify/falsify.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.max-connections-per-server
Mozillazine
This preference takes values between 1 and 255 inclusive, directly corresponding to the maximum number of HTTP connections Mozilla can have open at once. (Minimo default: 2. All others default: 8. Firefox 3: 15)

Caveats

If you are using a proxy, the proxy server - not the server the content is coming from - is the server affected, so this effectively limits the maximum number of total connections.
The maximum number of connections to all servers is controlled by network.http.max-connections.

Recommended settings

If you experience problems not being able to download multiple files from a site, you can raise this value. It is, however, considered poor etiquette to make too many connections to a server and may lead to you being banned from that server.

IMHO we can with less time consumption look over the fence and re-use what Firefox project or subprojects like FasterFox use or still use. We only need these prefs that are for a browser only application plus the K-Meleon specific prefs.

Most of K-Meleon's now missing prefs are from history. They were inherited from the SeaMonkey/Mozilla suite project because K-Meleon was based on that until version 1.6. The majority was IMHO never needed by K-Meleon which is a browser only application and not a suite including items like mail. And a few that are missing now will be obsolete prefs that were weeded out by Mozilla project since.

They were stored in greprefs/all.js. If I remember correctly Mozilla thinned that file out when they moved to XulRunner as base and the file should be in omni.ja now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 06:36AM by guenter.

Date: December 12, 2013 03:28PM

omni.ja\greprefs.js

Posted by: Willtho
Date: December 17, 2013 03:30PM

Hi, Yes!!! Works great on older hardware, our trusty Windows 2000 Server machine has not broken yet, only a 550MHz P3 by Compaq but both speedy and stable when nothing else will even work in a usable fashion, Will

Posted by: siria
Date: December 18, 2013 10:20PM

Too good to be true!! :B grinning smiley grinning smiley
...and too bad: no chance on my beloved win98se internet compi sad smiley
Can't even start it, despite KernelEx (which is also half dead developwise and could use a bit new life), the system complains about some missing kernel commands. So am stuck with KM1.6beta26, which mostly runs well enough except two annyoing bugs, some odd css display killer needing restarts, and unability to stop loading pages. Oh well. KM1.7 has better page display, but somehow disables system stuff, mouse etc.

Never mind, still great: KM has a future again on newer machines, that's what counts! It was considered nearly dead and now things look very promising again.
Just pity no one out there can really notice yet since nothing is mentioned on the news page nor the download page, be it as alpha- beta- or just experimental version, or just saying that it gets actively developed again. But reading through this thread and partly the bugfix-thread it sure sounds already quite usable and progressing nicely...

Thinking about it, a hint about user improved 1.6 + 1.7 beta versions wouldn't harm either, those are already miles ahead of the first beta versions on the download page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 10:24PM by siria.

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 21, 2013 07:49AM

Siria is back!

smiling smiley

Posted by: duffy98
Date: December 21, 2013 10:59AM

Yes ... I also noticed the post from siria ... I have been wondering for some time ... "Where is siria?" ... nice to see a post from you again! A great way to welcome in 2014 ... siria has returned!

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 23, 2013 06:48PM

Welcome back Siria. Funny they're still people thinking about kmeleon after all this time. Kmeleon will still be in the windows browser choice screen next year!

Here a new update with the following fixes:

- Urlbar autocompletion
- HTTP Authentication
- XUL Page button (certificate exception)
- Password manager, it works for single password only (no way to choose one)
- Flashblock
- Crash when opening xul window (again)

We should make a list of what still doesn't work in the wiki, and of your fixes. It's difficult to find them in the forum.

Date: December 23, 2013 07:03PM

Thank you for big Christmas gift, Dorian!

One question: may I begin to publish K-Meleon updates on some software catalogs like softpedia.com?
It will be correct to publish it from K-Meleon account not from my own. Is there some K-Meleon community or developers e-mail to connect with such account?

P.S. I've created thread for 'bugtracking'.

So I'm going to transfer records from there to wiki in order to them being findable easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 07:07PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Old fan
Date: December 23, 2013 07:18PM

I'm using it. I have 1.6.0 so i sometimes when webpage is freezing and i have to swith to Pale Moon. . It is my favourite browser.. fast & furious... Is there any new version ? KM74? There is no option to download...

Date: December 23, 2013 08:32PM

Old fan,
this thread is full of links to download updated assemblies of KM74.
Download and unpack this build and then that new one with overwriting files.

P.S. New version is heavily developed, so follow the thread for updates and fixes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 08:41PM by rodocop.

Date: December 23, 2013 08:34PM

I have a question about Dorian's latest version. I am testing that by starting with that code and adding the required files in the root from his first version 74. Is this the correct way to test or should I have placed his new code into an existing KM 74?

First thing I noticed was that I had to copy a readme.html file into root\browser and update it.

Second item is that the "Send page as a link" does work in this version.

Third item is that history button does nothing.

Fourth item is that the error console does not work.

Items 1,3, and 4 may be because I was to put the new code into an existing KM.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 23, 2013 11:37PM

rodocop
Thank you for big Christmas gift, Dorian!

One question: may I begin to publish K-Meleon updates on some software catalogs like softpedia.com?

I think there are still too many problems for that.

JamesD
I have a question about Dorian's latest version. I am testing that by starting with that code and adding the required files in the root from his first version 74. Is this the correct way to test or should I have placed his new code into an existing KM 74?

That's correct. You must also delete startupCache in the profile folder.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: December 24, 2013 01:21AM

K-Meleon 74 now can save passwords with K-Meleon74d

To see the save passwords

Goto Tools and scroll to privacy.
Then scroll to View Data and select passwords.

You have to logon to a website first to have a stored password.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: December 24, 2013 01:36AM

George Hall
K-Meleon 74 now can save passwords with K-Meleon74d

To see the save passwords

Goto Tools and scroll to privacy.
Then scroll to View Data and select passwords.

You have to logon to a website first to have a stored password.

Password manager has one problem you only use one username and password for a website.

Which can be a problem if have more one email account at a email provider or more than one account at game site or another type of service.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:34AM

myself
First thing I noticed was that I had to copy a readme.html file into root\browser and update it.

Second item is that the "Send page as a link" does work in this version.

Third item is that history button does nothing.

Fourth item is that the error console does not work.

I need to update this. History is working. I have now added Dorian's latest to Naruman's code. I have lost the error console. What is shortcut cache in profiles? I deleted that and it has not rebuilt.

The BuildID code is not in the new code of main.kmm. It works when I put it back.

Date: December 24, 2013 04:41AM

Dorian
I think there are still too many problems for that.

Dorian,
I think you underestimate your work! No one popular browser was perfect at the time of first presentation there.

And what is the key to Chrome or FF popularity? Why FF takes the new approach to the development with fast cycle?

The only answer is NEWS. Every little update (like those KM has here in community every week) is the newsbreak.
More news - more publications - more interest - more users!

I think KM needs more users to be actual, rapidly bugfixed and take its rightful place among the top Windows browsers.

And I'm ready to begin the KM promotion at the web.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 04:43AM by rodocop.

Posted by: Kandra
Date: December 24, 2013 11:40AM

Hi,Rodocop, Your idea of putting it on software site like softpedia.com,is really great.I am quite sure ,there will be tremendous response and in a week there will be thousands of down loads.Try to place entire package with latest updates.Dorian is great.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: December 24, 2013 12:34PM

I totally agree with rodocop and Kandra - especially when publishing a version of k-meleon 74 with all the good changes made since the first Dorian build.
And I think we shouldn't wait too long.

Viva K-Meleon

Mala

Date: December 24, 2013 01:18PM

Kandra,
the case is that official K-Meleon account exists there on Softpedia, so I think The Authors and Community should post all news from that one.

So it can do only that person who had registrated this account or has corresponding permissions.

Date: December 24, 2013 01:27PM

Oh... thank you for the welcome smiling smiley And nice to find still a few familiar faces. Pity that I only have time to drop by once in a while, to check for important news. But still excited to see KM progressing fast now, and completely unexpected! smiling smiley smiling smiley
Am not ready to give it up anytime soon, regardless if old system or (some day) a newer one, and I believe there are still quite some KM users with old machines out there. Just not showing up in the statistics due to fake user agents.

I also don't think the existence of a brandnew modern version should be kept semi-secret for much longer, or KM will be written dead yet more often in magazines etc. and no one even checks it anymore sad smiley If KM74 is'nt perfect yet that's still okay for an alpha or beta or if need be experimental version after all.

That doesn't necessarily mean to post it on softpedia ect. already, may well be that this is too early. But the most important thing is just to let people *know* that it's not dead anymore! At the very least on KM's own homepage. So even if the current version isn't published yet anywhere, there should be at least a little note written on the K-Meleon Homepage NEWS page, or even better the download page too. Just so people will know it's worth to check back in a while, not go away and never return anymore due to lost hope. It's really getting way too long now for any news, and still KM154 being the officially declared "best" version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 12:15AM by siria.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:14PM

Just a suggestion, as minimum info perhaps something like this on the homepage?

LATEST NEWS
2013-12-24 After a long break K-Meleon is finally getting developed again. First developer versions of K-Meleon74 based on the FF25 engine look very promising.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:42PM

siria,
you are right. And we also can add link as Dorian provided one here on site

Dorian,
I've opened the 'bug 1379' and 'bug 1380' record at bugtracker

But it cannot be marked as bug for KM74 so we need new tag (subsection) there.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:03PM

I want to bring back to mind that I've created at least 3 channels for KM promotion:

1) The K-Meleon Place (everybody invited to be the co-editor!)
2) Facebook community (spread a word!)
3) Twitter account (for KM Twin but all the KM news would be posted there)

So let's add the traditional software promotion ways - and people will know about great changes!

Posted by: naruman
Date: December 24, 2013 06:46PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all kmeleon users .

Really great work Dorian , Now you are about to build the complete kmeleon version.

After fix few bugs & simple chroems correct and we get a version ready to publish .

Also welcome back to Siria ,i have read\use your great macros & posts in the last 3 years .

Dorian
- XUL Page button (certificate exception)

I not sure what do you mean by 'XUL Page button' was there bug in it ?

siria
LATEST NEWS
2013-12-24 After a long break K-Meleon is finally getting developed again. First developer versions of K-Meleon74 based on the FF25 engine look very promising.

I second that & maybe it's better if we start kmeleon modernization for the site & Forum look & maybe new logo .:cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 06:56PM by naruman.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: December 25, 2013 10:28AM

Also from me Merry Christmas and Happy New Year the all kmeleon users.

The k-meleon74d update is fantastic. The only thing I am missing is in the preference panel under browsing : the item hotlink and under the finding websites section the items websearch and multisearch. But I am sure that is only a minor item.
Also the history settings are not visible.

But apart that: fantastic.

Cin cin and cheers

Mala

Posted by: Juanjo
Date: December 25, 2013 10:29AM

Merry Christmas
KM74 Fantastic!
Please do asap a general distribution, as there are a lot of low power computer users who have installed W2000, w2005 or xp and they wiil appreciate it ..
On another hand. Any stylist to give a modern look to interface, perhaps change the icons?

Posted by: mhf
Date: December 25, 2013 11:59AM

Happy festive holidays and a wonderful New K-Meleon Year for all smiling smiley

Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.