General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15
Re: Anyone still using kmeleon?
Posted by: foliator
Date: January 01, 2022 09:37PM

JohnHell
foliator
Unfortunately I've had to return to Pale Moon, because I've run into another site that KM can't handle. It's one of my most important sites, and I can't log in. There's absolutely no response when I click on the login link; I don't even get the login form. It probably uses a newer JavaScript. PM has no trouble with it.

Similar happens with PaleMoon as well.

Yesterday I was using it on GitHub because I thought, maybe, roytam's New Moon wasn't handling the page correctly, and PaleMoon didn't either.

The only browser that handles GitHub properly on my system is Chrome, but I will no longer use it, so I don't bother logging in there anymore. I'm not a programmer, but was on there only to send feedback to the author of a project I'm interested in.

JohnHell
In other words, you can't have all eggs in the same basket.

True. Well, I've often had to throw some of the less important eggs out of that basket. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2022 09:38PM by foliator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roytam1
Date: January 02, 2022 01:08PM

JohnHell
foliator
Unfortunately I've had to return to Pale Moon, because I've run into another site that KM can't handle. It's one of my most important sites, and I can't log in. There's absolutely no response when I click on the login link; I don't even get the login form. It probably uses a newer JavaScript. PM has no trouble with it.

Similar happens with PaleMoon as well.

Yesterday I was using it on GitHub because I thought, maybe, roytam's New Moon wasn't handling the page correctly, and PaleMoon didn't either. It is a matter that if someone really, really, really needs full compatibility with certains websites, the only way is to go with the latest (I really remark it) Gecko (Firefox and forks or clones), or Blink (Chromium/Google Chrome and clones), or Webkit (Apple Safari and clones) engines and even then you can't be sure.

In other words, you can't have all eggs in the same basket. That the sad true of these days on web browsing. We left the IE dominion for, mostly, Chrome one with some duchies of the others.

K-meleon is not perfect and can't solve all needs but no one can.

for github/gitlab, you'll need https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill for UXP-based browsers.

Posted by: foliator
Date: January 02, 2022 02:41PM

roytam1
for github/gitlab, you'll need https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill for UXP-based browsers.
Thanks for that! I just installed the extension, and this is the first time that github has worked properly for me on Pale Moon. It used to let me log in, but the dropdown list for my account wouldn't work, so I had to disable CSS to find the URLs for logging in and out. The signup page wasn't working, either. Now it works, but I think it's way too fancy for what it does.

---
Gerry

Posted by: kalepf22
Date: June 11, 2022 04:20AM

Actually I'm a Pale Moon user, never frequented github much but I have issues with youtube and as of recently a bit imdb. Could this fix it for me? How do I even install this anyway?

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: June 11, 2022 04:45AM

kalepf22
Actually I'm a Pale Moon user, never frequented github much but I have issues with youtube and as of recently a bit imdb. Could this fix it for me? How do I even install this anyway?
On Pale Moon? Try this for GitHub:
https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases
You click on the .xpi link in the releases. Your browser's add-on manager will handle the installation. Same with JustOff's extensions but I don't know if he's done version 31 updates yet; he may have more pressing issues.

Check MSFN.org for more info about palefill and polyfill techniques. I don't know if anybody made something for imdb. Youtube is in a constant state of flux so no polyfill would work for very long. Roytam's solution in K-Meleon is to use the mobile interface. I believe there's an add-on that does the same for Pale Moon if that sounds like a possible solution.

Posted by: digi-u
Date: August 10, 2022 12:16AM

Hi,

www.PortableApps.com decided to support your project, so there are probably many people using the K-Meleon Browser. There aren't many alternatives and who really wants to give Google or Microsoft more data they will monetize. Please don't abandon the project. There are reasons why Microsoft is pushing hard for people to use Edge and I highly doubt their motivation has any positive customer outcomes.

I was reading up on K-Meleon and came across the Extension Manager. I was looking up something else, so I made a mental note. When I returned to find out more about the manager. The only way I could find the manager information was to use Google and search the main K-Meleon site, since the extension manager info. has its' own page and isn't included with the other extension info.

I would like to request installation instructions for the extension manager using a portable version K-Meleon please. I presumed the manager is manually installed like any other extension; however, I extracted the manager into the K-Meleon program directory inside the Portableapps.com program folder area. The Extension Manager options mentioned in the online information doesn't appear. I've closed and restarted the browser after extracting the Extension Manager into the K-Meleon program directory.

Thank you for not requiring an email address confirmation during the forum registration. Reducing the endless process bloat people have to continuously endure to resolve things not working working properly is more welcome than I can describe with words.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Phill

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 10, 2022 02:01AM

digi-u
I was reading up on K-Meleon and came across the Extension Manager. I was looking up something else, so I made a mental note. When I returned to find out more about the manager. The only way I could find the manager information was to use Google and search the main K-Meleon site, since the extension manager info. has its' own page and isn't included with the other extension info.

The search on this forum is, by default, limited to the last 30 days, but you can search the whole forum since early 2000s, where surely you can find anything.

digi-u
I would like to request installation instructions for the extension manager using a portable version K-Meleon please. I presumed the manager is manually installed like any other extension; however, I extracted the manager into the K-Meleon program directory inside the Portableapps.com program folder area. The Extension Manager options mentioned in the online information doesn't appear. I've closed and restarted the browser after extracting the Extension Manager into the K-Meleon program directory.

Please, use its thread or open a new one. Thank you smiling smiley

If you meant this:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kem.htm

Its own thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,96964

It is as simple as extract it over K-meleon root folder.

Have also a read here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,109512

You don't need it to use Macro extensions (don't confuse it with xpi Firefox extensions).

Personally, I don't comply to it.

digi-u
Thank you for not requiring an email address confirmation during the forum registration. Reducing the endless process bloat people have to continuously endure to resolve things not working working properly is more welcome than I can describe with words.

"Thank" to SourceForge.

If it were by me, it would have been enabled so I shouldn't have had to set posting restrictions to prevent spammers.

A benefit for you, a nightmare for me. Not all is so simple sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 02:08AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: August 23, 2022 01:33AM

It's cool to hear that folks are coming here from PortableApps.com.

I was able to test some things and created a new thread for PA.com differences:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,156488

The 2 big things are that the "K-Meleon" root folder and the profile folder are in unique locations, and changes cannot be made to the K-Meleon/Browser/ folder. I would recommend skipping the Extension Manager as John mentioned. This will let you check each package to see if it wants to place a .xpi into the Browser folder. It does work fine otherwise.

Take care

Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 14, 2022 08:58AM

JohnHell
lifeguardlarry
But unable to connect to most other pages - can't connect to Wikipedia - with unpredictable exceptions. So I use K-Meleon for Google and then copy page URLS and paste them into my other browser - Firefox ESR 52.0. Works fine.

That sounds like a version issue, maybe by old ciphers support. Try the latest (75.1 I'm thinking by your ESR hint Windows XP SP2) compatible with your OS.

since I can't rebuild 75.1 (with static MFC and shared VC runtime DLL) correctly (gecko 31 patch is incomplete and rebuilt-KM 75.1 acts strangely) so I can only refresh NSS library for KM 75.x (even on km30+1.rar works, but not on K-Meleon74_31.7z)
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/KM75.1-new-nss.7z

sources:
https://github.com/roytam1/KM75-gecko31-engine
https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/tree/km751

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2022 09:05AM by roytam1.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 14, 2022 04:43PM

Thanks roytam, I can tell that it works, for a couple of problematic pages I had on mind, on 75.0.

Hope this helps to some users too.

Maybe I open a dedicated thread as an announcement. Or add news on front page.

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: December 28, 2022 04:14AM

yes all the times

Posted by: Shaina Peretz
Date: August 15, 2023 08:07PM

I am a proud user of K-Meleon: Think out of the box:

Posted by: Larry De Coste
Date: February 22, 2024 02:04AM

It's right up there in the top left hand corner of my Win 11 desktop!

Posted by: Abu Huraira
Date: April 16, 2024 03:11PM

it is best browser ever i am using in in 2024grinning smiley

Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.