General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon Upgrades/Updates?
Posted by: Daveski17
Date: October 21, 2009 02:37AM

When K-Meleon upgrades/updates does it have a 'check for updates' pop-up like SeaMonkey 2.0 or do you have to go to the Homepage & download the upgrade from there?

If so, is it wise to uninstall the present version & install the new or can you install the new version over the top of the old version?

Thanks, Dave.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Upgrades/Updates?
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 21, 2009 07:24AM

Last official version is 1.5.3 (2009-05-08), since 1.5.0 or before is included a kplugin named update.dll. You can enable/disable it in Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins -> "Update Checker".
This plugin checked for new versions at KM start and ask you if you like download it.

My Gecko updates are unofficials for this isn't checked for Update Checker.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 21, 2009 02:59PM

OK thanks for the info, I had noticed the plug-in. I am new to K-Meleon & I wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask. smiling smiley

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: siria
Date: October 21, 2009 05:31PM

Daveski17
If so, is it wise to uninstall the present version & install the new or can you install the new version over the top of the old version?

One of the very first things to learn with KM, is to create a working backup copy of the program folder (and the profile folder, if it's elsewhere) eye rolling smiley Really most helpful and highly recommended... smiling smiley That said, they say one can install a new version over the top.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 21, 2009 06:46PM

Yes like siria says You can install over another for the same major version.
So when K-Meleon 1.5.4 comes You can just install it over the current 1.5.3 smiling smiley

p.s. I rarely do, IMHO it is better to have more than one working browser.
I installed the last as K-Meleon1.5.3de-DE and will install next as K-Meleon1.5.4de-DE. I am too lazy for backup usually.

p.s. Ich hoffe, er kommt bald smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 06:48PM by guenter.

Date: October 22, 2009 01:15AM

OK thanks siria & guenter.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Date: October 22, 2009 04:19AM

siria
One of the very first things to learn with KM, is to create a working backup copy of the program folder (and the profile folder, if it's elsewhere) eye rolling smiley

Are there usually any problems associated with updating K-Meleon then?

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: siria
Date: October 22, 2009 05:38AM

Not necessarily just with updating, but since KM is so deeply configurazable, even if you don't really know exactly what you're doing, it's also easier to mess something accidentally... And I do play around with it a lot. It's no work to just copy a folder, so sure worth saving the trouble just in case if smiling smiley

Date: October 22, 2009 05:57AM

OK thanks. It sounds like a good idea.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 22, 2009 03:08PM

siria
Daveski17

One of the very first things to learn with KM, is to create a working backup copy of the program folder (and the profile folder, if it's elsewhere) eye rolling smiley Really most helpful and highly recommended... smiling smiley That said, they say one can install a new version over the top.

Siria,

Yes, this is the way I go too. Some (Guenter comes to mind) have multiple versions on their hard drives, but I have limited space available, so I routinely zip up my entire K-Meleon, particularly before I start customizing or installing an update. If I mess it up, I just delete it and reinstall the backup zip file. Works for me!

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 23, 2009 10:02AM

To backup is a general precaution. It is good IT custom to do backups.

During update or reconfigure procedures any software is at its most vulnerable moment.

I generally recommend backup before You do such things.

No, recent K-Meleon versions had AFAIK no significantly high amount of failed installs. It was usually the users that chose other install options and wondered where bookmarks and settings had gone grinning smiley

The biggest cause for breaking is currently a scandisk run after a Windows crash.
You definitely want a profiles backup for that. It is a FAQ and possible to repair that. But it is wise to have an backup instead.

I remember that 0.8.2 sometimes partially broke plugin support, and only a clean reinstall helped. I was effected by that. But that is distant past.

p.s. before some actions even I with all my installs do a backup, I clone the version that i want to change to another location and do my works there, if the result works I copy the guinea pig back to the original location.

I use the same setup as siria and ndbord, Profiles in k-meleon install dir (deselected multiuser support), that setup is portable, we can clone into a zip or to any other location e.g. a usb drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 10:03AM by guenter.

Date: October 24, 2009 01:28AM

Ok, thanks for the info.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.