General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: K-Meleon 74: bugs and deficiencies list
Posted by: George Hall
Date: January 29, 2014 06:33PM

The Plugin Container is for crash protection in Fiefox to prevent plugins from crashing Firefox.

What a joke.

Pugin container becuase the plugin container causes certain plugins to crash.

Prevent Firefoz crash = Plugin Crashing with its buggy plugin support.

Plugin Container disabled = no crashing Flash Player Plugin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 29, 2014 07:22PM

A link to a scipt is located to disable Plugin Container is located at the website belows.

http://firefoxcrash.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-fix-flash-player-crashes-in.html

The registry script is contianed it a PluginConter.rar along with another registry script to reenable the Plugin Container.

With the scipt to do not have to manually add or remove MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS user variable.

This script fixees the flsssh plugin crashing click full screen.

You no longer have to run K-Meleon 74 with Compatibilty Mode set to Windows XP Service Pack 3 with this fix.grinning smiley

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: January 29, 2014 08:41PM

It doesn't work for me. I'm running it on Windows 7.

Posted by: timoch
Date: January 29, 2014 09:49PM

siria
As others figured out, go to
F2 > Page Display > Default Zoom
Change it from 30% to 100%, and at least the size prob is fixed.

As far as downloading goes, I'm on KM1.6 too and can download without probs by right-clicking and "Save Link Target As"
But I know what you mean: When left-clicking on a 7z-link, for some funny reason KM opens 7z-files as a normal browser page instead of asking for a saving path! That means first it waits until the whole huge file is downloaded in the background, and then it starts displaying it as gibberish letters. It's not frozen, just takes really long. If anyone knows a fix for that I'd be interested too!

Posted by: timoch
Date: January 29, 2014 10:00PM

@seria
Thanks for responding to my comments. As I mentioned, preferences (f2) opens up a blank page, so I cannot change the zoom or anything else. Also, when I click on a favorite in book marks, it opens up my Internet Explorer browser and goes to the page that I clicked on.

As it stands, km74 is totally unusable to me. A reinstall of a fresh download doesn't make any difference.

Date: January 29, 2014 11:47PM

Zero3K
It doesn't work for me. I'm running it on Windows 7.

Yo have to restart the K-Mleoen 74 so the plugin container does not tun and crash the crash the flash plugin when you click full screen.

However, if your profile folder is in same folder as K-Meleon 74.
You have to enable full control when you User Name or Everyone to the K-Mleon 74 folder under Securiry Settings which is avaible when you right click on a folder. profile there.

Another method to store a profile in the K-Meleon 74 is to run kmeleon.exe as an administrater.

The plugin container fix is for when full control enabled to K-Mleon 74 folder
or when you run K-Meleon 74's kmeleon.exe as an administrator.

The fix might work if you right click on kmeleon.exe or the K-Meleon 74 shorcut to change the security sesttings. I have not tried changing the security settings on the kmeleon.exe or the K-Meleon 74 shortcut.

The fix is not necessary if you run K-Meleon 74 in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibilty mode.

Date: January 30, 2014 12:22AM

1. I'm already running as an Administrator account.
2. Changing the permissions to allow Everyone to access the contents of K-Meleon's folder didn't fix it.
3. Windows XP SP3 Compatability Mode is only used when I directly run k-meleon.exe. When I try to launch it via a hotkey program, it is not used.

So, is there any way to edit its source code to stop the use of plugin-container.exe? If so, it should be done.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: January 30, 2014 09:24AM

Same as zero3K here! And I agree with him : there must be a method of opening everything in full screen : videos, images etc.
What I do not understand : Besides K-Meleon I have five other browsers installed on my computer (windows8.1) : Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, Safari and Internet Explorer : none of them has any problems with full screen playing and also they work with plugin.container. So the problem is some code in k-meleon and not the installed adobe flash player.

A reflection : could k-meleon not use the same method as firefox here, firefox that has no problems with that?

Thx

Mala

Date: January 30, 2014 09:36AM

This fix for the Flash Plugin work for mwork for me on Windows 7 64-Bit,

Belew are the Steps I used to fix the flash plugin crash:

1. I clicked The Start Menu
2. I right clicked on Computer,
3 I clicked Properties
4. I clicked Advanced System settings
5. I clicked Environment Variables,
6. I clicked New under User Variables.
7. I added variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS
8 I sets is value eqaul to 1.
9. I restarted K-Meleon 74Beta.

A quicker method is to go the website
http://firefoxcrash.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-fix-flash-player-crashes-in.html
and scroll down to LINK TO FOLDER FOR FIXES
whuch The link is https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7C6EECE1C6ABBAB%213744

Then download PluginConainer which is a RAR file with two registry scripts.

One sets the default value by removing the User Variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS

The other registry script creates the User Variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS
and sets it value to one.

You have to restart K-Meleon 74 wirth both these methods to prevent Flash Plugin crash when you click Full Screen.

This fix was orginally meant for Firefox.

The fix worrked for men and I don't Know why it did not work for you.

Date: January 30, 2014 01:43PM

In K-Meleon 74Beta some flash videos appear without the interface that allows to click play or click full screen.

It just look like a picture without the play button in K-Meleon 74

That is fixed in K-Meleon 74Beta by refreshing the Web page of the flash video that is having the problemm.

Date: January 31, 2014 03:13AM

Mala Okeh
Same as zero3K here! And I agree with him : there must be a method of opening everything in full screen : videos, images etc.
What I do not understand : Besides K-Meleon I have five other browsers installed on my computer (windows8.1) : Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, Safari and Internet Explorer : none of them has any problems with full screen playing and also they work with plugin.container. So the problem is some code in k-meleon and not the installed adobe flash player.

A reflection : could k-meleon not use the same method as firefox here, firefox that has no problems with that?

Thx

Mala

Actually your are wrong "plugin-cintainerr.exe" does crash the Flash Plugin sometimes in Firefox.

I have read posts that firefox had problems with the Plugin Container before.

Thas why this the fix for Firefox was created to disable the Plugin Container using user varibale MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS and setting its valure equal 1.

Plugin Container crashes some plugins when it runs as an out of processs plugin,

"For each plugin for which the "OOPP" crash protection feature is enabled, a separate plugin process will be started when you first visit a webpage that evokes that plugin. When you exit Firefox, those plugin-container processes will terminate. This plugin process is named "plugin-container" on Linux, "plugin-container.exe" on Windows, and "Firefox Plugin Process (<plugin-name>)" on Mac OS."

This quote is lcoated at the website http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

Accriding to above Unless exit those processes handle by the Plugin Contianer to not terminate until you exit the Firefox.

It sounds like easch call to the flash plugin stays in mmemory until you exit Firefox.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: January 31, 2014 09:27AM

Thx, George,

I followed your instructions and downloaded the files : now the flash doesn't crash anymore.
I don't know how it is on your computer but now deezer.com and myspace.com can no longer play their music using k-meleon.

Is there a solution for that? Then I would be marvelously happy.

Mala

Date: February 01, 2014 01:33PM

I created two new methods to prevent The "Plugin Container" from crashing the "Flash Plugin" when we click "Full Screen" in K-Meleon 74.

Those two methods are below:

1. Copy the Flash Plugin file from the "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" or
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash into K-Meleon 74 Profile plugins folder.

2. Create the plugins folder in the K-Meleon 74 Program Folder and copy the
Flash Plugin file into that folder.

These two methods bypass the Plugin Container by running them as classic plugins which do not work unless they stored in the plugins folder.

For example, The "Free Downoad Manager" does not work with K-Meleon 1.5.4-1.7 unless you place "Free Download Manager" netscape plugin into the plugins folder.

Date: February 01, 2014 03:30PM

The three methods that fix the flash plugin crashing when we click full screen proves that K-Meleon 74 is not the source of the problem.

The "Plugin Container" itself causes the problem with the Flash Plugin.

Date: February 01, 2014 05:12PM

George Hall
The three methods that fix the flash plugin crashing when we click full screen proves that K-Meleon 74 is not the source of the problem.

How do I get it to work on Windows 7? I almost got it working by changing the registry entries relating to it to point to its new location. Doing that results in plugin-container.exe crashing.

Date: February 01, 2014 08:48PM

Zero3K
George Hall

How do I get it to work on Windows 7? I almost got it working by changing the registry entries relating to it to point to its new location. Doing that results in plugin-container.exe crashing.

i am using windows 7.

I tried adding User Variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS equal to 1 manually and then with a registry script contained in rar file PluginContianer located at the folder link https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7C6EECE1C6ABBAB%213744.

Today I created a two new ways of making the flash plugin work when we click full screen in K-Meleon 74.

They two methods are;

1. Copy flash plugin located in the folders "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash"
and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" into the pluginss folder located
in the Profile Folder.
2. The create a plugins folder in K-Meleon 74 program folder and then copy the
flash plugin file into that folder.

The User Variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS prevents "plugin-container.exe" from running.

The two plugins folders bypass "plugin-container.exe" by running the flash plugin as a classic netscape style plugin.

For expample, the Free Download Manager" does not work in K-Meleon 1.5.4-1.7 unless its netscape plugin is copied into the plugins folder located in K-Meleon Progrmas Folder.

Date: February 03, 2014 01:14PM

Zero3K you need to restart the K-Meleon browser for those methods to fix flash.

Also, sometimes you need to manaually clear to cache after you use these methods.

Becuase after I loaded a previous session the flash plugin crashed with "plugin-container.exe" That was after I added the flash plugin file to the K-Meleon plugins folder.

So sometimes the fixes won't work unless you manually clear the cache because sometimes something is left behind in the cache after the flash plugin crashed.

I only was then when i loaded a previous session though.

Date: February 04, 2014 10:00PM

Some reason copying the flash plugin in K-Meleons plugins folder stop working and the flash plugin crashed when I clicked full screen.

So far The User Variable MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS equal to 1 is only now only guaranteed method to prevent the flash plugin crash.

You may have to log off becuase the "plugin-container.exe" may still running after the flash plugin crash to make sure that the plugin container does not run when you run K-Meleon 74Beta the next time.

Date: February 05, 2014 02:21AM

If K-Meleon 74Bets looked in the plugins folders first.

Then then "plugins-container.exe" might be bypassed and flash plugin file could be launched from the plugins folder.

The plugin container may not load plugins in the plugins folder as a separate process.

I might be wrong though.

It could be a fix for the flash plugin crash when we click full screen.
If the flash plugin is loaded from the plugins foldr.

firefox has a browse setting in browser configuration to load plugins from the plugins folder plugins.load_appdir_plugins.

If K-Meleon could use that setting it could load plugins from the plugins folder.

I believe K-Meleon 74Beta does not work with that setting yet.
If it did we might be able to by the plugin container when certain plugin crash because of "plugins-container.exe"

Date: February 05, 2014 01:55PM

I found that K-Meleon 74Beta first looks the 32-Bit flash plugin in the order below:

1. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\
2 browser\plugins
3. Profiles\juismcy1.default\plugins
4. if plugins.load_appdir_plugins is set to true it look in K-Meleoon 74Beta
Folder\plugins

If we can change the order of the search maybe it would bypass the plugin container.
Becuase the plugin container work for plugins located in the first three first steps or just the first two step.

Plugins located in K-Meleoon 74Beta Folder\plugins may bypass the plugin container.
However, I may be wrong

Changing the search order the flash plugin file may or may not fix the problem with the flash plugin when we click full screen.

However, firefox does not crash the 32 Bit flash plugin file located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\

Date: February 05, 2014 03:58PM

George Hall
I found that K-Meleon 74Beta first looks the 32-Bit flash plugin in the order below:

1. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\
2 browser\plugins
3. Profiles\juismcy1.default\plugins
4. if plugins.load_appdir_plugins is set to true it look in K-Meleoon 74Beta
Folder\plugins

If we can change the order of the search maybe it would bypass the plugin container.
Becuase the plugin container work for plugins located in the first three first steps or just the first two step.

Plugins located in K-Meleoon 74Beta Folder\plugins may bypass the plugin container.
However, I may be wrong

Changing the search order the flash plugin file may or may not fix the problem with the flash plugin when we click full screen.

However, firefox does not crash the 32 Bit flash plugin file located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash[/quote]

K-Meleon 1.6 looks for the plugins first in K-Meleon Folder\plugins or Profiles\iyao8u6h.default\plugins

So looking K-Mwelon Folder\plugins first may bypass "plugins-container.exe" in K-Meleon 74Beta.

So the flash plugin may not crash in the flash plugin is loaded from K-Mwelon Folder\plugins first.

Date: February 05, 2014 05:31PM

I copied npnul32.dll into the plugins folde and copied the flash plugin file into the plugins folder after unitalliing the fkash plugin

K-Meleon 74Beta was able to see the flash plugin in the plugins folder when i clicked about:plugins.

However, when i renamed the "plugin-container.exe" to "plugin-container"
the flash plugin would work at a flash site,

If make K-Meleon 74Beta work with npnul32.dll and load the flash plugin at flash site instead of the plugin container.

Then there would be crash wirh flash plugin with K-Meleon 74Beta.

Date: February 10, 2014 09:44PM

Try the new beta of K-Meleon 74. Its no longer an issue since no plugin-container.exe, etc. is launched when a flash/java applet is in a webpage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 09:45PM by Zero3K.

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.