General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
phpbb
Posted by: Ed
Date: October 30, 2009 01:17PM

Why do the features in forums/bulletin boards not worj within K-meleon?

None of the features work(spellcheck,bold,italics etc...)

*you'll notice I spelled work as "worj"...this didn't appear underlined as it should have*

I've used K'meleon for years, and posted to boards etc..and never knew what I was missing until I used another browser,this is a serious issue and I am considering FIREFOX!...please help me prevent this insanity, but it's a real timesaver (those missing features)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpbb
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 30, 2009 04:50PM

There's already a spellchecker for K-Meleon.

Look to KMES extension page (in my signature)

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2009 04:51PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 30, 2009 09:27PM

Ed, perhaps set UserAgentString to imitate Firefox. Usually pages will work normal after that.

It is a FAQ that some pages do not allow all feature if the do not know the browser.
Plus for boards You usually need to allow JavaScript, cookies & often all images.

p.s. There is almost no difference between between a Firefox 2 GRE, except that the Firefox engine additionally ships mail components (& that is what I would call redundancy). If You hide the real ID of Your browser, page designers cannot throw sticks between Your legs. There is even an extension, autoswitcher, that automatically changes browser UserAgentString when needed. You just have to add pages where it is needed.

And yes - like alain's answer suggests - K-Meleon got (many) new extensions. And K-Meleon Forum has a new part where such innovations are published. And K-Meleon has two extension collection pages, plus several pages for individual extensions.
Thx to all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2009 09:30PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 30, 2009 10:08PM

Options like bold or italic in forums just need javascript enabled, to show the buttons. That's all! In all browsers. And if someone hates javascript, it's still possible to type those styles manually, or use the forum macro.

As for spellcheckers, I don't know any forum that offers this, guess it's usually a browser add-on smiling smiley In Firefox perhaps enabled by default, no idea, but in K-Meleon available too, just optional, if anyone wants it. Personally I hate those things, because in the job I'm forced to use MS-Office, and there it's extremely difficult to get rid of those ugly "word decorations" tongue sticking out smiley But seeing that really many people need them, even I would opt to include that macro in KM by default too...

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 30, 2009 11:46PM

Spell checker and autoswitcher are surely needed as default for DAUs like me.grinning smiley

Not sure whether i need all, but i like extra smilies

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2009 11:50PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.