Re: K-meleon instead of IE6
Posted by: Mikk
Date: January 06, 2014 06:52PM

siria
perhaps not even S2014 works well enough.

It doesn't work compettely as I wish, really. As I allready reported:
Mikk 3th Jan 2014 04:21
Compared to 1.5.4 are till now visited web sites displayd correct but its very very slow. Additionally occur often messages about not responding (or defect) scripts which I can stop.

That mentioned messages appear not perheaps because of a too short time out setting, but after a long waiting without anything visible happens.

Additionally it seems the browser is able to do only 1 task intime. E.g. one page loads very long and in other browsers I can read e.g. other allready loaded tabs while waiting but here not. I must wait until the first page is loaded to can view other tabs or similar. Or I can insert data in a small data insert field very fast but the characters need more seconds per one to be displayed. And uring this time I can do nothing but wait.

Others: I want to scroll 1 display page and click the vertical bar rights for it. But it doesn't scroll only one display page but it steps page per page to the bottom or top of the whole site page. The same if I want to scroll only a few rows klicking the top or bottom of that vertical bar. It steps slowly until it reachs the top or bottom of the site page.

These are the first bugs I discovered till now.

I'll try now perheaps both methods:

To go on in my replacing of as faulty messaged files. I hope that messages will occur still seldomer and I'll see how it works. In this matter I'll create a new FredS2014+2.6JamesD°Mikk version grinning smiley.

And also your interpolation method I'll try too.

One question: Did you install perheaps any inofficial SP or other inofficial updates except of the KernellEx on your 98SE any time?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 03:53AM by Mikk.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 06, 2014 07:48PM

Mikk
One question: Did you install perheaps any inofficial SP or other inofficial updates except of the KernellEx on your 98SE any time?

Yes sure, here or there over the years, but pity can't remember any details. Actually not that many. But there probably lies the hidden third key to KM1.6+

Your endless scrolling prob I have too occasionally, but very rarely. Must say I also use javascript only if forced, by default have it off! Mostly for security reasons, but also for performance probs with 256MB RAM. JS really slows some pages down extremely. Then if some page doesn't fully work and I really want to see it, instead of switching on JS, first thing I do is kill the css (macro "styles") and look if the hidden content may show up this way too. Works amazingly often grinning smiley

But otherwise your probs are far more severe. For example if a page is busy loading, I can still switch to another tab and read that one meanwhile.

What really bugs me though is the bug that I can't stop a script page once it has started loading, except if killing the internet connection!

Today I'm actually intrigued that KM1.7alpha runs far better on win98 than I had remembered, and there seem to be some 1.7 bugfixes posted in the forum (mostly by realgy). And Dorian just posted today that he could fix the right-click menu bug in KM74 by removing one single line in the code, makes me wonder if that fix wouldn't possibly work in 1.7 too, and perhaps a few similar others too. Then on win98 we wouldn't be stuck with 1.6 but with 1.7, which is already a huge step forward. Only prob being, that the developers surely have no interest anymore today to waste time for win98, just for the 2-3 people still using it out there ;-) Anyway, next time a modern page fails completely, I can try with 1.7alpha first instead of another browser smiling smiley

Date: January 06, 2014 08:07PM

Hi Mikk, do you have MFC80U.dll in your system folder??
I did think there was something with that file, but thought its name had been mfc80, forgot the "u". But now digging again through old notes that name keeps popping up...
Perhaps you have it already somewhere in the programs folder, as I did?

Although, your KM doesn't say it were missing it, hm.

Another old note, was about some 1.6alpha version:
"...all it took was to get that msvcp80.dll! That dll doesn't seem to have worked from that redist install in that winsxs folder (in win98se), but it does work fine if it's either in the KM folder or in the windows/system folder"
Today that file is already contained in the download version, but perhaps it might help a thing to copy over some more msvc... files in the sys folder? No idea, just wild guessing since nothing helped so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 08:28PM by siria.

Date: January 07, 2014 06:15AM

I could extend my list of the replaced faulty dlls meanwile as follows:

xpcom_core.dll
nspr4.dll
JS3250.DLL
\components\XPPREF32.DLL
\components\NECKO.DLL
\components\XPC3250.DLL
\components\IMGLIB2.DLL
\components\DOCSHELL.DLL
GKGFX.DLL
...KM wasn't closed properly. Do U want to resume Ur last browsing version - y/N
\components\GKGFXTHEBES.DLL
\components\GKLAYOUT.DLL
\components\UCONV.DLL
\components\JAR50.DLL
\components\GKWIDGET.DLL
SQLITE3.DLL
Window opened transparent
THEBES.DLL
Window opened white
\components\MORK.DLL
\components\GKPARSER.DLL
resource:///readme.html
View-Toolbars-Options:
MOZZ.DLL
\components\TXMGR.DLL - not replaced
web - insert login data
\components\TXMGR.DLL
opening web (ib)
\components\GKPLUGIN.DLL
3 days more or less problemless surfing; clicking link to some simple URL in FaceBook page (non-userregistered)
\components\embedcomponents.dll
€dit 19:52CET 09.01.2014: A new error occured - the last 2 rows added.

But now seems this special version to work fine. It could be intersting to ask Fred and James what is diffrent in these theier dlls. I'm an absolute noob in creating of such files thats why I'm not able to judge which consequences can have - positive and negative - to leave them in a version for which they were not specifically made, allthough they seem to work better than the originals.

Untill further notice I'll leave that approximative method alone. Now the next time I can perheaps ask allready for some details for settings what I can't find, if it's possible or not.

siria
Your endless scrolling prob I have too occasionally, but very rarely. Must say I also use javascript only if forced, by default have it off! Mostly for security reasons, but also for performance probs with 256MB RAM. JS really slows some pages down extremely. Then if some page doesn't fully work and I really want to see it, instead of switching on JS, first thing I do is kill the css (macro "styles") and look if the hidden content may show up this way too. Works amazingly often grinning smiley

But otherwise your probs are far more severe. For example if a page is busy loading, I can still switch to another tab and read that one meanwhile.

What really bugs me though is the bug that I can't stop a script page once it has started loading, except if killing the internet connection!
Another range of my noobness: What is the meaning of Javascript? I know only it's a script language and people say it should be for better security deactivated. But it must have any purpose why it is contained in the browsers. I read somhere Mozilla wants even to eliminate the possibility to deactivate it in the next FF version. Otherwise I had now for a shorttime the FF 3.6.28 installed, official minimum specifications 233 MHz (exactly my frequence) and 64 MB RAM (I have 5 times more) and it was really extremely slow - because of JS perheaps? The only what doesn't corrsponde to my PC is that W98 but this should solve Kex (set correctly grinning smiley). I deinstalled it again.

siria
Today I'm actually intrigued that KM1.7alpha runs far better on win98 than I had remembered, and there seem to be some 1.7 bugfixes posted in the forum (mostly by realgy). And Dorian just posted today that he could fix the right-click menu bug in KM74 by removing one single line in the code, makes me wonder if that fix wouldn't possibly work in 1.7 too, and perhaps a few similar others too. Then on win98 we wouldn't be stuck with 1.6 but with 1.7, which is already a huge step forward. Only prob being, that the developers surely have no interest anymore today to waste time for win98, just for the 2-3 people still using it out there ;-) Anyway, next time a modern page fails completely, I can try with 1.7alpha first instead of another browser smiling smiley
It should be nice we could make this small but not meanigless progress to 1.7 if it shall work fine.

siria
Hi Mikk, do you have MFC80U.dll in your system folder??
Y, I have.

siria
"...all it took was to get that msvcp80.dll! That dll doesn't seem to have worked from that redist install in that winsxs folder (in win98se), but it does work fine if it's either in the KM folder or in the windows/system folder"
Today that file is already contained in the download version, but perhaps it might help a thing to copy over some more msvc... files in the sys folder?
I've this file in all 3 places - in KM as in sys as in winsxs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 06:58PM by Mikk.

Date: January 07, 2014 09:11AM

Mikk
Another range of my noobness: What is the meaning of Javascript? I know only it's a script language and people say it should be for better security deactivated. But it must have any purpose why it is contained in the browsers. I read somhere Mozilla wants even to eliminate the possibility to deactivate it in the next FF version

Whow... you kidding??
Well there are people who want to send you back into caves if you don't like JS and there are others (like me) who hate that JS especially opens the door to your computer wide open for all sorts of malware and spyware and bloatware (there are more doors like flash etc., but guess it's by far the most frequent). It allows the other side of the connection to have access into your computer and steer it if they want. Also perfect for spying you out, not just the originating site but also the advertisers on it can do it.
On the positive side JS allows more functionalities on websites. For example if you want to view an online map like openstreetmap.org JS is absolutely necessary or you don't even see the map. But often it's completely unnecessary and most websites don't need it at all, or only for gimmicks or minor improvements (for example in this forum you can post without JS, no prob, but the extras don't work like smilies choice etc., although you can still insert them manually if you know how).
And if there are TONS of script on some sites the page loading gets extremely sloooow on computers with little RAM, even up to a complete freeze sometimes.
So the best solution is to allow it on the sites YOU need it and to block it on all others.

If you never surfed the web *without* javascript just test it now and compare the speed:
View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar (what's it again in german?) and press the JS button.
Or just hit F7 to toggle JS on-off.
Then if you come across a site where something important is missing, you can still hit F7 again and reload it.

If your computer is REALLY slow I'd also try blocking image animation (in menu Tools/Privacy) to speed it up.

Date: January 08, 2014 04:24AM

There are still many problems, new ones are appearing by using the tool. For compatible sites is IE6 still by a wide margin the fastest browser. My actual prob now with KM is I cannot see the captcha codes. JS is on.

As I see JS will be used this time for so many things, that it is allmost impossible to hold it off. Is there not any macro or similar to toggle JS for each tab separately?

siria
Go to about:config and filter for .jit., it has to do with some advanced javascript stuff getting executed parallel at same time or such. At one point setting it to false it reduced some memory probs on win98.
guenter
I forgot about the jit (just in time compiler) settings about:config name.
What should I do, what purpose has it exactly? (I could see about:config is a sensible area especially for beginners as I am one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 04:43AM by Mikk.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 08, 2014 10:34AM

Mikk
There are still many problems, new ones are appearing by using the tool. For compatible sites is IE6 still by a wide margin the fastest browser. My actual prob now with KM is I cannot see the captcha codes. JS is on.

As I see JS will be used this time for so many things, that it is allmost impossible to hold it off. Is there not any macro or similar to toggle JS for each tab separately?

siria
Go to about:config and filter for .jit., it has to do with some advanced javascript stuff getting executed parallel at same time or such. At one point setting it to false it reduced some memory probs on win98.
guenter
I forgot about the jit (just in time compiler) settings about:config name.
What should I do, what purpose has it exactly? (I could see about:config is a sensible area especially for beginners as I am one.

Mach mal Privacy Bar an, dann siehst du bei JS und so was du an hasst.
Bilder: Press F9 to toggle/umschalten images.
Ich glaube Kaptscha sind oft oder immer Bilder.

about:config Google die Werte an denen du stellen willst vorher auf Mozillazine.

Dann passiert schon nichts Schlechtes. Was du änderst wird im benutzten Profil/pref.js geschrieben. Notier es dir noch wo anders, was du tust.
Falls du den Browser dann komplett gekillt hast, dass er nicht startet, kannst du da editieren oder ein neues Profil starten.

Zu K-Meleon 0.71 Zeiten haben wir da ständig editiert. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 10:40AM by guenter.

Date: January 09, 2014 04:39AM

guenter
Bilder: Press F9 to toggle/umschalten images.
Ich glaube Kaptscha sind oft oder immer Bilder.
Thanks for the hint about F9. (Allthough german should be easier for me I think there is better here in the common part of the forum, when also non-german-understanding people understand what we talksmiling smiley). Displaying pictures I have on, anyway. Captcha are pcstures usually indeed but in some kind special. It happened to mee allready once longer time ago, all pictures except of captcha I could see. I thing it was caused I had activeXcontrols off that time. But today I can see it again in that web without I changed anything. I don't know what was going there yesterday.

guenter
Mach mal Privacy Bar an, dann siehst du bei JS und so was du an hasst.
Funny I don't see any text in the buttons of the privacy bar, I can't see which button is what. Only if I let the mouse hover over that ones there appears a popup with this there.

guenter
about:config Google die Werte an denen du stellen willst vorher auf Mozillazine.
It was easy to me to change the value of the execution time in JS to 30 s but about the setings of jit I'm not wise.

Anyway, I discovered now perheaps I can reach something by Edit > Configuration > User Settings. But if I click it on I get only the error message "the file user.js could not be found". But this file is in \defaults\profile present. Where is the mistake?

guenter
Zu K-Meleon 0.71 Zeiten haben wir da ständig editiert. grinning smiley
It shall be surely no problem for me sequently later to edit in about:config as I get familiary with that thing. Also about Windows registry say people it is dangerous to change there somthing there and in my first Windows time I had much respect before of it. But now it's no problem for me to meke corrections there in ranges which I allready know or which are selfexplained enough. Even I don't see as necessary to loose my time making a backup before my changes, as recommended.

siria
So the best solution is to allow it on the sites YOU need it and to block it on all others.

If you never surfed the web *without* javascript just test it now and compare the speed:
My favourite web kicks me off from logging-in if disable JS even if I'm just in another tab/web and the 1st one is only in background. A friend of me asked following for the possibility to toggle JS for each tab separately. I think it is not possible in the basic equipment of KM. Or indeed? Or isn't there any macro or something such for it?

But there is so much of JS in the actual webs, also necessary things, that it's often difficult to surf them without JS. I read somewhere in the last time, Mozilla wants even to eliminate the possibility to deactivate it begining the next FF version.

siria
View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar (what's it again in german?)
Privatsfärenleiste should I saysmiling smiley

siria
If your computer is REALLY slow I'd also try blocking image animation
It's usually not such terrible. This problem had I sometimes years ago - perheaps on my old PC yet (166 MHz, no MMX, 128, first time even only 64 MB RAM) - sometimes went my PC very slow down at some animated GIFs as they appeared on the screen. Then I blocked image animation if necessary or said to its owner he should put it away if possible. Till now I see this phenomenon sometimes e.g. on smilie pages where the screen is full of animated ones.

Now some usefull details known from IE6 to me, which I can't find here:
1. Small icons - should reduce the height of the bar
2. To set the content of the main icon bar. E.g. I don't need (I think same as you, Siriasmiling smiley) the printer icon; it occupies only useless the space there in the bar. Vice versa could be perheaps some aditional ones usefull as e.g. those copy + paste + cut + delete
3. Can I find images & other m'media files in I'net cache and make them displayable?
4. Where can I see which cookies are effectively saved? And what about super cookies?
5. Favorites ordered not only alphabetically but individually

Mikk
it seems the browser is able to do only 1 task intime. E.g. one page loads very long and in other browsers I can read e.g. other allready loaded tabs while waiting but here not. I must wait until the first page is loaded to can view other tabs or similar. Or I can insert data in a small data insert field very fast but the characters need more seconds per one to be displayed. And uring this time I can do nothing but wait.
siria
if a page is busy loading, I can still switch to another tab and read that one meanwhile.
This problem persists at me even if JS disabled.

Mikk
I want to scroll 1 display page and click the vertical bar rights for it. But it doesn't scroll only one display page but it steps page per page to the bottom or top of the whole site page. The same if I want to scroll only a few rows klicking the top or bottom of that vertical bar. It steps slowly until it reachs the top or bottom of the site page.
siria
Your endless scrolling prob I have too occasionally, but very rarely.
I have this everywhere. As longer the bar as more. It's very nerve-racking. It is one of the most used functions in the browser window mostly fully automatically clicked without to think over it. And also here: Until the page reache its top or bottom it works absolutely nothing others in KM. I must strongly avoid to tuch the range of the bar outside the button. Still again beginns the page to jump up and down because of it, I must break my work and wait when and where it stopps. On long pages it can be than allmost endless and the only way out is ctrl-alt-delsad smiley. Do you know, was it allready reported as bug?

siria
Now I have this prob in one web too. Really bugging, you're right. In IE possible to stop it by clicking the cross button in the main bar, not in KM. Another bad possibility to stop it is ctrl-alt-del - not really bettersad smiley. Bug reported?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 07:21AM by Mikk.

Date: January 09, 2014 06:47AM

Forgot about the black-text-on-black-background prob with default aura-alpha skin in win98, sorry. Am using my own extended skin and am long-since used to switch to either that one or Klassic when trying out a new profile, as soon as needing the privbar. The prob is not that black is defined as transparent (that would work fine), but as partly-transparent (even if 100%), and semi-transparency just doesn't work yet in win98, or perhaps only with further tricks.

In a first step switch to "Klassic" skin, which is the alternative skin already included. But I'd recommand on win98 to try my Classiria, which has all the Klassic buttons and a few more, and it comes with a dark version as option (probably needed on your systemwide customized darkblue menu background). Or try any other dark skin, there are new modern ones out there with nicer buttons, am just not sure with which transparency system the images were created in each, haven't checked.

Of course you can customize which buttons to show and which not in KM, it just works differently.

Many basic things of customizing are explained or linked in the FAQ, which is at least partly updated for current KM versions. Although in general the homepage and wiki are so badly outdated it still describes KM 0.X..
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ

Very strange that you don't have a user.js in your profile folder! Although that specific thing you don't really need, using about:config is far easier.
But who knows what else is messed - try creating a new profile?

Mikk
In IE possible to stop it by clicking the cross button in the main bar, not in KM. Another bad possibility to stop it is ctrl-alt-del - not really bettersad smiley. Bug reported?

Long since reported and perhaps (?) already fixed in newest KM74, but out of reach (yet?) for win98.
But don't you have network button in the right corner to stop only the connection, instead of killing the whole browser?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 07:14AM by siria.

Date: January 09, 2014 11:08PM

siria
Very strange that you don't have a user.js in your profile folder! Although that specific thing you don't really need, using about:config is far easier.
Stranger I have it. As in my

C:\...\KM\K-Meleon_1.6.0Betat2.6JamesD+...\defaults\profile

as in

C:\WINDOWS\Anwendungsdaten\K-Meleon\dheimgyq.default

(both empty, only the line

/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE -------------------------------------------- */

inside). But nevetherless I get that error message as I should not have it.

siria
Long since reported and perhaps (?) already fixed in newest KM74, but out of reach (yet?) for win98.
Some file which could be possible to try to plant it in 1.6 if it works anyway?

siria 3th Jan 2014 11:37(CET)
replace the opera hotlist.dll with the old one from KM154, even if you don't use it, because the newer has a bug that deletes the opera nicknames (if a user has defined any)
Just done in my modification allthough I don't use it, as you recommended, but for preventive purpose and to hold it bugfree as possible. But what should be better on the newer hotlist.dll except of this bug or what can work less optimal with the old one? The newer is about 10 % larger than the old one.

But my available time to taste around this browser seems to be slowly over. It works as far as well now, although not (yet) 100% properly. I hope I'll can to come later to go on to do tests and trimming.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 11:15PM by Mikk.

Date: January 09, 2014 11:59PM

Mikk
C:\...\KM\K-Meleon_1.6.0Betat2.6JamesD+...\defaults\ profile

That's not your current profile. It's the template folder for new profiles. You can create and use multiple profiles if you like, and choose at browser start which one to use.

Mikk
C:\WINDOWS\Anwendungsdaten\K-Meleon\dheimgyq.default

Not your current profile folder either ;-) You said you still have the "profile.ini" in the KM root folder. That means your profiles for this installation are portable and found inside the programs/k-meleon folder. You can jump to this folder with Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory.
The user.js you don't really need at this point, but since it's missing, there's perhaps more messed in your profile.
I'd try a new one: Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup (not yet 'new')
Then restart browser and in the profile choice click on "New".

As far as I know opera bookmarks plugin hasn't really been updated in many years, and I doubt it ever will, since no one here is using it. It just gets recompiled each time when a new KM version is made together with all the other files.

But I'd really try the Klassic Privacy Bar with the quick switch buttons for Javascript, Cookies etc. Browsing gets far faster if JS is blocked. I can easily have 50 tabs open at a time, that would be completely impossible with JS on. Don't know where you're surfing, but luckily I need JS only for about 5% of the pages smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 12:06AM by siria.

Date: April 28, 2014 10:31PM

After some months I can say it is better than other browsers on the whole (but where it works I feel IE6 still the best, indeed). Allthough there are 2 things bringing me every day near to psychical collapse:

Mikk
the browser is able to do only 1 task intime. E.g. one page loads very long and in other browsers I can read e.g. other allready loaded tabs while waiting (or also load more pages together while reading another one) but here not. I must wait until the first page is loaded to can view other KM tabs, windows or similar. Or when I insert data in a small data insert field the characters need more seconds per one to be displayed. And during this time I can do nothing but wait.
Additionally the stepping by the PageUp and PageDown keys of the keyboard doesn't work in all web sites.

Mikk
Allways when I want to step 1 display page down or up and click the vertical bar rights for it. But it doesn't make only one display page step, it steps page per page to the bottom or top of the whole site page. The same if I want to step only a few rows klicking the top or bottom of that vertical bar. It steps slowly until it reachs the top or bottom of the site page.
Mikk
And also here: Until the page reache its top or bottom it works absolutely nothing others in KM. ... Still again beginns the page to jump up and down, up and down, up and down because of it, I must break my work and wait until it stopps somewhere. On long pages it can be than allmost endless and the only way out is ctrl-alt-del

Am I really the only one fighting with these problems? I can't belive it, following i can't imagine there is no solution for it. I have an usual installation of Windows 98SE and I have an usual PC from the time as W98SE was actual (was in masses installed at companies that time). So I have no Idea why must KM only at me run with such terrible errors costing me so much time and nerves.

Not such terrible (bad enough too, but I'm not confronted continuous with it, thats why it doesn't nerve so much): I can't find how to delete all, and really all cookies brought by one damain at once. There are domains bringing various cookies under various names (all are their own ones) and it's not allways easy to recognize all of them when I must to delete them one by one. In IE6(SP1) I block the domain and allow it instantanously again and following are all its actual cookies deleted by this one only step; it doesn't matter what are the names of the cookies-files. It's not possible to do it easier.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 10:35PM by Mikk.

Date: May 05, 2014 12:22PM

Is not perheaps any dll file responsible for these things, so I could try to find another version of it?

Or any hint where I could make some change in some file directly?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 12:26PM by Mikk.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: May 31, 2014 04:05PM

siria

@Mikk & siria: I'd seriously consider putting more RAM and up it to 512MB and installing a faster CPU chip if possible (or buy a used PC that can handle at least 512Mb of RAM and an Intel Pentium 3 or AMD K7 CPU).
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX100 desktop computer (from early 2000s) with WinXP SP3 on one partition and Win98 on another partition; both have K-meleon on them.
Original hardware config was a 500Mhz Intel Celeron Mendocino processor with 128MB of memory and have upgraded both to a 1.1Ghz [1100Mhz] Intel Celeron Coppermine CPU and 512MB of memory. K-meleon runs better on faster CPUs and more RAM, of course. And the Firefox system requirements have been raised to be using at least an Intel Pentium 4 CPU that supports SSE2 with 512Mb of RAM.

At least I have the funds and resources to upgrade computer parts on some old computers made in the early 2000s.

btw, K-meleon 74 Beta 4 recently came out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 07:39PM by 4td8s.

Date: June 03, 2014 10:40PM

4td8s
siria

@Mikk & siria: I'd seriously consider putting more RAM and up it to 512MB and installing a faster CPU chip if possible (or buy a used PC that can handle at least 512Mb of RAM and an Intel Pentium 3 or AMD K7 CPU).
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX100 desktop computer (from early 2000s) with WinXP SP3 on one partition and Win98 on another partition; both have K-meleon on them.
Original hardware config was a 500Mhz Intel Celeron Mendocino processor with 128MB of memory and have upgraded both to a 1.1Ghz [1100Mhz] Intel Celeron Coppermine CPU and 512MB of memory. K-meleon runs better on faster CPUs and more RAM, of course. And the Firefox system requirements have been raised to be using at least an Intel Pentium 4 CPU that supports SSE2 with 512Mb of RAM.

At least I have the funds and resources to upgrade computer parts on some old computers made in the early 2000s.

btw, K-meleon 74 Beta 4 recently came out.

By only buing an used PC is not one problem solved. A PC is not a lighting bulbe which you can screw out the old and screw in the new one and finished. On an used (or new) PC can instantly work perheps the former user but never a new one, if this is dedicated for going on in real work and not only for playing games or such similar kiddy things. Used PCs up to core duo as hardware I have more than enough here but as they stay in the room they are absolutely useless for me. I have no time window reserve to break my work for weeks for moving it to them, to the new environment which I'm additionally not familiary with it, with all of its specifical problems. A complete and proper migration itself can be much more costs intensive than the price paid for a new PC in the store.

guenter 28. November 2013 21:23 to Mikk
Deine hardware ist mehr als ausreichend für K-Meleon bis mindestens 1.7.
Translation: »Your hardware is more than enough for K-Meleon at least up to 1.7.«

I'm not sure I would want to use KM providing an infrastructure as you are recommending (and I have a central heating equipment for winter but no air conditionig for summer in my appartement to use a Pentium 4 grinning smiley).

The reality is: IE6 doesn't have these problems also with less memory and slower CPU than we, Siria and me have. It has other ones anyway (or better said, much ambitioned but in programming not groundly qualificated web-makers have and had their own problem with it). The reality is also, such upgrades don't solve the problems. After a possible short time of the first euphory they move them only to an other level.

I have since 33 years daily to do with PCs (from Commodore over CP/M, MS- and many other DOSes, various versions of Windows up to XP, about newer Vindows versions heard and read allready enough by their users...) and in this whole time are the problems still the same, with and without Internet: misfunctions, crashes by freezing the screen or another kind, dilletantic mistakes in the products, bad logical made controlling, big gloria everywhen a new version appears, solving 10% of former problems, 90% leaving as they were and creating 20% of new ones. No final producer is significantly better as the other ones, no significant difference between the various systems or other SW's. I have really enough of it after this more than one human generation period. It's effectively no solution still to buy buy buy pay pay pay and belive to that endless lied promisses of the producers and their priests. And allways put all results of your work into the trash and start anew. For what? To take all of it with into the grave? It's nothing others than a kind of psychical masturbation, no kind of really creative live. Once are people experienced and mature enough and no more such naive to belive all this bullshit. »People think! Think! Think!" said Salvador Dalí one day before he died.

And today we are allready so far that also experts and professors say, the thing is such complex that nobody more knows all the interactions and thats why nobody can guarantee for completely correct functions - in the world which is now totally depending on it.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 01:08PM by Mikk.

Date: June 05, 2014 04:00AM

4td8s
K-meleon runs better on faster CPUs and more RAM, of course. And the Firefox system requirements have been raised to be using at least an Intel Pentium 4 CPU that supports SSE2 with 512Mb of RAM.
We don't use Firefox but KMeleon because of its lighter requirements. And I think FF approximately corresponding to our KM is i.e. 3.6.28. Its declared minimal requirements are Prozessor Pentium 233 MHz - I have, RAM 64,0 MB - I have 320! (Siria 256 I think anyway), Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / 2003 / XP / 2000. OK, not 98 but we have KernelEx. Either it works with it or it doesn't and all messages are it should do. And W98(SE) itself needs much less ressources than XP.

And last but not least: The performance is one thing, good performance is allways better than a bad one. But the other thing are functional deficits and this is the main problem here. As long these persist, helps better performance nothing.

Date: June 25, 2014 06:13PM

Mikk
I want to scroll 1 display page and click the vertical bar rights for it. But it doesn't scroll only one display page but it steps page per page to the bottom or top of the whole site page. The same if I want to scroll only a few rows klicking the top or bottom of that vertical bar. It steps slowly until it reachs the top or bottom of the site page.
siria
Your endless scrolling prob I have too occasionally, but very rarely.
At least this problem at least particularly solved. It seems not to be a bug but it's wanted so. I'm not sure it's the best solution, indeed but anyway, it's so now.

The vertical scroll bar doesn't move the picture allways 1 screen heighth as usual but it depends on it where you click dynamically. The bar is divided in invisible ranges that are so long as long is the rider on the bar.

Each range farer away from the rider clicked means moving the picture one screen heighth more. Clicking immediately besides the rider, the picture moves only one screen heighth; clicking in a distance in the length of the rider and phps a little more it moves two screen heighths and so on. Clicking near the end of the bar the picture moves until the end up- or downstairs reached.

So far it's possible to make single or multiple steps as wished, for them who know about this mechanism. But it's allways necessary to look where you click on the bar. Otherwise the picture moves anywhere.

Resumed also, where you click there moves the rider alone step by step. As more of the ranges as longer you must wait until the rider reachs its final position. I hope I could explain it understandable.

But I don't know still how to controll the amount of the steps by clicking the upper or the lower arrow. Then it makes still non stopable microsteps one by one usually until the end of the bar is reached. Sometimes I can reach to stop it by clicking on the rider or in the other direction but I don't know how exactly. And as said, only sometimes.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 12:02PM by Mikk.

Date: July 11, 2014 11:04PM

A few days ago I found here a posting by dugbugoffice3 from 26th Jan 2014: 05:20 :

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,125905,126628#msg-126628

ergo one version of 1.7. I'm testing it now and comparing to the 1.6 I use. For this moment I can say, at some points it is better and at another ones apears 1.6 better. It seems 1.6 could be brought nearer to the perfection at its level than 1.7 but with 1.7 I have also some of the problems of the handling the program away. 1.7 seems generally to be faster on the complicated slow web-sites but sometimes is the reaction time on the keyboard and the mouse keys long, sometimes comes the reaction even not before I repeate to press the key, here. Also some web-sites are displayed properer with 1.7. (I don't think it's meaningsfull to list all differences, all +'s and -'s here now.)

As the first I could change a little cosmetics to make it better for my needs but I understand too little of that thing to make more just now.

My 1st question: Is that one above the only one or the best respectively available version of 1.7? If not, where can I find some more and perheaps even better?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 12, 2014 12:32AM

K-Meleon Twin+ is definitely for you, Mikk!
Look for it in my sig! It contains both 1.6 and 1.7 builds (based on dugbug's assemblies but enhanced) in one portable package.

Try it. There are numerous threads here about Twin in 'General' forum.

Also there were numerous 1.7-based builds by Fred. Search on forum (for all the time not 'last 30 days' or 'last year' option) by author (Fred) and you'll get threads with links for download.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 12:32AM by rodocop.

Date: July 12, 2014 10:20PM

Many thanks.smiling smiley ^But unfortunately I can't download the Twin from MEGA:

sad smiley:mad:

And following even crashed my KM1.7 session by freezing (good did not crash the Windows session completelytongue sticking out smiley).

I hate this wiseshitting of some website-providers. I thing it's clear what should happen if I install FF 3.6 when they say such easy Firefox Recommended (disregarding I tried it allready in the past and the package is such monstrous that it doesn't work effectively allthough my PC matches the declared requirements); and also Chrome by the world wide biggest private data-collector Google:mad:tongue sticking out smiley. They do as thinking everybody must have the same equipment as they have one.

I tried it then again with my Opera 10.63 with the only difference, Opera didn't crash on it and nobody sais to me "our browser does not allow data to be written" there.

I can download and write data from other web sites with KM 1.7, naturally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 12:36AM by Mikk.

Date: July 13, 2014 11:38AM

Sorry, Mikk!
Most free webdisks with sharing option are too complex for old K-Meleons.

Feel free to download Twin from old good Adrive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 11:58AM by rodocop.

Date: July 13, 2014 07:41PM

Thankssmiling smiley. But something is also here wrong. The (repeated) downloaded file K-Meleon Twin+.7z is only 8 kByte and "The archive has either an unknown format or is corrupted".sad smiley

That was by direct DL from your link ("Save target as..."). As I put the link URL into the browser address bar the download refuses to start even if I press the ominous "If it does not start automatically, please click here to start the download process." IE6, KM1.6, KM1.7 all approximately the same.

In KM1.7 comes after clicking that "here" an empty screen only with the message "Please go to ads page first. Please turn on javascript" for a few seconds and than it goes back to previous. Funny is, I have JavaScript on. The name of the file for DL disappeared allready before from the URL in the address bar.

€dit: O.K., solved. People must know it needs to allow cookies for adrive.com. As I did it the download started immediately alone.smiling smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 08:35PM by Mikk.

Date: July 13, 2014 09:26PM

Mikk,
going to my link you should get that page and the download window after some seconds.

That download works fine for me even being unlogged on Adrive.

UPD.: Yes, cookies issue is frequent reason. Enjoy Twin!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 09:31PM by rodocop.

Date: July 14, 2014 03:45AM

OK, done. For the first. Archive decompressed, Twin+ started and ... finished sad smiley. The issue with non valid instructions in the files, as described by me in this thread begining on 3th Jan 2014 04:21 GMT and finished solved for 1.6 on 7th Jan 07:15 GMT is back:O. With the differenece, at 1.6 I had alternative stable beta modifications where I could take corresponding files to repleace that ones not working under Beta2.6enUS'JamesD at me. Allthough till now I'm not definitively sure if some issues occuring at me in 1.6 don't have their roots in the fact that I'm using these files which are not a part of the basic modification KM1.6 package running on my PC.

But where can I now look for such replacements for Twin+? In 1.6? Or un that 1.7 I have by dugbug? Or somewhere else? O.K., I can look everywhere but the question is if it also works and correctly works then and how much of time I must invest for it.

Anyway, this issue is still mysterious. I think, as this Twin+ as 1.6Beta2.6enUS'JamesD are many times verified as working on W98SE. That's why I don't understand why it doesn't work at me. I think to know my system as well to can say I have nothing special on it. The IBM 300PL is a little special machine itself, indeed, but I think only in the mechanic HW form and not in the SW properties an requirements. And that time it was one of the most installed PC in middle and big companies.:s

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 04:09AM by Mikk.

Date: August 04, 2014 07:42AM

There are just now 2 things I would like to have them so good in KM as they are in IE6 but till now I can't find how:

1. In IE I can block the acces for web sites and domains to my PC individually by their names/URL's by means of the host-file. How can I do similar in KM?

2. If I need to close some open Window hardly with ctrl-alt-del in IE6, for example at site crash or overlong loading time etc. it closes normally all opened windows in the line begining where I started to open new ones by direct clicking links, together. The solution: Preventively I don't click the links directly but I copy their address, then open a new clear IE window manually and paste the copied URL into its address bar. Than by evtl. need of hard closing this site it closes only this one affected window and the other ones - working still well - stay open.

Others in KM if I do the same either with a new tab or with a new window. It closes allways everything, the whole KM-session. Is there a solution in KM how can I close only that one problematic site?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 01:46PM by Mikk.

Date: August 04, 2014 10:15PM

*sigh* oh yes, do I wish too!

1) Still riddling myself too, but in *some* cases it seems to help to use a full 3-part domain in the host file, e.g. "www.daserste.de" instead of only "daserste.de". Only effective after new browser restart, if at all. But the long version doesn't seem always necessary, no idea why, just trial-and-error...

2) Hmm, only chance seems to open a new independant session for a suspicious page. That means it needs more RAM and of course both sessions must use a different profile, that means also a different set of bookmarks etc (favorites should be fine though, are a whole different system).
Create a start icon with "....k-meleon.exe -new" as path, and make sure you get to choose a profile at each startup (in menu Sessions/Options: x Ask at startup). If you want the same settings in the second profile create a new one, then copy over the contents of your original profile folder into the new one. If profile folder location is unknown it can be found by menu Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory

PS: for long loading pages I try by killing the internet connection, helps often, although it may still take a little while smiling smiley
PS2: If you need to send links to a new session very often, that would be a typical case for a little macro.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 10:22PM by siria.

Date: August 05, 2014 12:11AM

Badly out of practice, but couldn't resist, sigh ;-)
If you like try this macro? Menu: Right-click on a link then "Open In New Session".
(As usual, copy text into a new text file, name it "SendLink2NewSession.kmm" and save with "all file types" or similar option into a macros folder)

SendLink2NewSession{
macroinfo=_("Open Link in New Session, pick OTHER profile!");
$_ask=YES;
getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.sessions.openStart")? (getpref(BOOL,"kmeleon.plugins.sessions.ask_autoload") ? 0 : $_ask=NO) : 0 ;
$_ask==NO? togglepref(BOOL,"kmeleon.plugins.sessions.ask_autoload") : 0;
#
$_exe=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\k-meleon.exe";
exec("\"".$_exe."\" -new \"".$LinkURL."\"");
#
$_ask==NO? togglepref(BOOL,"kmeleon.plugins.sessions.ask_autoload") : 0;
}

_SendLink2NewSession_BuildMenu{
setmenu(LinkOpen,macro,"Open In New Session","SendLink2NewSession","Open In &New Window");
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_SendLink2NewSession_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."SendLink2NewSession;";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 12:18AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.