General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
google search/CIA
Posted by: dreager
Date: January 06, 2010 06:23PM

What better way to track your interests/leanings than through the use of the very popular Google search engine (AKA: CIA). Google keeps ALL your search history FOREVEA bub!(and that includes your IP addy which Bell Canada has agreed to release to ALL government agencies)(US phone companies ....DITTO).

The reason I'm checking out new browsers is for this very reason, but alas I still find it integrated into your browser.Worse yet I see no way of adding my own search engine, IXQUICK OR STARTPAGE.COM which does NOT record your IP and dumps searches after a month. Maybe I missed it and stand to be corrected ,so if someone can show me how.....

Thanks for your efforts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: google search/CIA
Posted by: siria
Date: January 06, 2010 07:00PM

Integrated?? That's something else, sorry. Check here:
Edit > Preferences > Finding Websites
There are 4 tabs for lots of settings.

Or you can also simply right-click on the search-button (Globe) and choose another engine or the configuration from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 07:01PM by siria.

re: change search engine
Posted by: Doon
Date: January 06, 2010 07:16PM

You can certainly change your search engine! The fact is you can change virtually everything in this browser, from totally customizing all menus and toobars to creating macros that can make the browser do just about anything. Spend some time learning everything and I'm sure you'll be pleased. The forum is a rich resource, the site links on the left are full of stuff, and don't overlook the goodies at http://kmext.sourceforge.net.

As for ixquick, a user just recently posted how to set it as your default search provider, HERE.

Also see: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SearchEngineSelection

As you can see, it's just a matter of using whatever search engine string you like. Your points about Google in general are well made, and ixquick is certainly the best choice for search engine privacy - their ethics are commendable. Google is evil, but their search is arguably the best and is a natural choice as a default.

Re: re: change search engine
Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 06, 2010 09:36PM

@ dreager

I have to agree with Doon about Google having the best search.
Therefore Google - 100 Results
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=
is my favorite engine. They can store my German dynamic IP forever. My ISP already stores all my connection logs for 6 months at least and can hand them over under certain circumstances.
However Scroogle might be another option to avoid Google while still getting their results.

This is the URL you have to add:
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=

Last but not least keep in mind that there is no guarantee that any search provider doesn't keep logs even it pretends to do not so.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 06, 2010 11:13PM

As said before everything about K-Meleon's search engines can be configured freely. IMHO kko created the most sophisticated and end user friendly search engine management system. Peruse it and the mentioned documents a minute or two - I even think it is self explaining once You found it.

p.s. IMHO. There is reason to take care but no reason to get very exited.

IP are a scarce commodity (currently). For this reason all ISP will give You a random number (from the pool that has been allocated to themselves) on each dial up. That is called dynamic IP. As long as Bell or anyone does not constantly "leak" a personalized, life info which IP was passed out to which person on a given day an hour, there is no real problem.

Yogi
They can store my ... dynamic IP forever.

Static IP (that You can keep e.g. to run Your own server) are charged extra.

Carriers gather & keep such personalized IP info for billing and store them for a time. These details are destroyed some time after You paid Your bill, right after the time when You can cancel Your payment has expired, unless local laws provide differently. Storing them longer is a cost factor (unless You gain money from behavioral statistics like Google).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 12:21AM by guenter.

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 06, 2010 11:49PM

grinning smiley I'm looking at that scroogle page, take a look at this picture:

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Re: re: change search enginesmiling smiley
Posted by: dreager
Date: January 07, 2010 08:52AM

Thank you for all your input.I believe we all arrived here for similar reasons.(we don't like what we got)

I AM impressed by this "open source" effort and see far more options than I've had in the past, and see hopes of conjuring my own version :cool:.(even Opera has sold out to Google now, and that was my last hope)

I did find the preferences/search although the languge threw me for a second, "finding websites" where I deleted all search references to Google.Later when I clicked the search "globe" up pops google which threw me again as I had deleted it. I right clicked finally, wallah. A search window in the toolbar would be nice, I will work on that.

Now I'm at the "home page" stage.With all browsers it says, "use existing webpage" or words to that effect. Now if I do it Mele way (search for homepage) the websites holds on that particular day and doesn't update itself.

And Slayer...your pic of the cctv cam says it all about google...tracking and tracing.

To sum up, I know I can take the attitude of, "they gonna get you anyways", but I believe I should do what I can to scrape off the bulls--t.

Thanks again.smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 07, 2010 09:23AM

dreager
A search window in the toolbar would be nice

You can type into the URL field and then click the search button.

Else have a look around on the extension pages.
A dedicated search plugin with a field in the toolbar also exists.

The right click menus are context sensitive and show/change for what You can do in a specific situation. So You will find new things for some time grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 09:25AM by guenter.

Date: January 07, 2010 09:38AM

dreager
(even Opera has sold out to Google now, and that was my last hope)

You can customize your search engines in Opera as well.

dreager
A search window in the toolbar would be nice, I will work on that.

You can enter your search terms in the address bar and hit or right click the globus in order to choose the search engine.

Edit: Guenter was faster smiling smiley

slayer
grinning smiley I'm looking at that scroogle page, take a look at this picture

A bit scary but also funny smiling smiley
However that's filtering for. No Adsense, DoubleClick, ..., connections allowed here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 09:39AM by Yogi.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 07, 2010 03:29PM

How can you set Scroogle so it can show you pics results as well?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 03:44PM by panzer.

Date: January 07, 2010 05:39PM

I don't know. I don't think you can.
Another shortcoming compared to Google is the absence of cached items.
After all you can't have everything at the same time smiling smiley

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 07, 2010 06:17PM

You forgot to say: and for free!

In 2007, Msofty did this:
If you send an instant message containing the word "scroogle.org" via the Microsoft service, the message never arrives. The sender doesn't know it was discarded, and the recipient has no indication that it was ever sent, as the original message remains in the chat window and history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 06:21PM by panzer.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 07, 2010 07:02PM

dreager
I did find the preferences/search although the languge threw me for a second, "finding websites" where I deleted all search references to Google.Later when I clicked the search "globe" up pops google which threw me again as I had deleted it. I right clicked finally, wallah. A search window in the toolbar would be nice, I will work on that.

Uncheck Set As Default Engine. That'll allow you to change the default engine to the last one chosen in your list. The Search+ extension provides pretty much all the functionality of a search bar in a single button. You can try that. But if you must have a separate bar, go to K-Meleon Extensions Central in the kplugins section.

dreager
Now I'm at the "home page" stage.With all browsers it says, "use existing webpage" or words to that effect. Now if I do it Mele way (search for homepage) the websites holds on that particular day and doesn't update itself.

Right-click the Home Button. Right-click all the buttons and you'll see options related to their functions.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 08, 2010 12:27AM

It's relatively simple to change (add or delete) search engines in K-Meleon and you don't need to wait for a developer to come up with an XPI extension (as in FireFox and SeaMonkey).

This is from a previous post about how to change your default search engine from Google to Scroogle.

==============

Click on:

Tools/Web Search/Configure/Finding Websites//Search Engines

Look at the bottom and click on Add

Caption: Type in the name you wish to use.

Below is the URL information. For Scroogle right click on the URL, copy then paste:

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=

Go back to Tools/Web Search

remove the click from the defaul engine which should say Google

Click on Configure/Web Search

Determine which search are displayed in the Web search menu:

Scroll down to Scroogle

Click on the Next tab

Go back to Tools/Web Search and check to make sure Scroogle has the check mark,
then Click on Default to lock your choice in.

==============

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 12:28AM by ndebord.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.