General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
New User and Facebook Wall
Posted by: dmacdougall
Date: January 09, 2010 02:45PM

Hey. I really like K Meleon. I find it a lot faster for my netbook than other browsers. Just wondering one thing. I was just using Facebook and tried to write something in someones wall and when I typed the search the page app was coming up. Sorry, in advance if this is a stupid question.

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New User and Facebook Wall
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 09, 2010 06:42PM

I only know about Facebook that it is part of a FAQ.

The reason - Facebook will only give You yeoman service if You set K-Meleon's
UserAgentString to camouflage as Firefox. That is done via the Tools menu UserAgent item, the Privacy Bar -> right click on User Agent & select Firefox or else via a dedicated extension called AutoSwicher that changes Agent to Firefox whenever You come to a page that You have added to its shoddy pages list.

No - it is no stupid question of You - it is outright insane of Facebook, Hotmail, Yahoo mail and other pages that use a pathetic browser switch that is based on a white list, which does not know K-Meleon and several other browsers.

Detailed info about the whole issue.

Rule of thumb: if a page dis-behaves fake Firefox User Agent String.

It solves the problem in 9/10 cases.

Date: January 10, 2010 07:52AM

Thanks. I am going to try it now.

D.

Date: January 10, 2010 08:09AM

Sorry for the double post. It worked, but just once. How do I set up the auto switcher that you mentioned.

D.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 10, 2010 10:05AM

Sorry to hear that the success was limited. sad smiley

Create bookmark if a session has success. That way You can first load the bookmark to improve chances.

Some pages change URL and You need to cheat on several URL.

The last version of auto switcher covers that problem. tongue sticking out smiley

AutoSwitcher download location.

There is also an extra installable extension manager. That helps with installing installing extension that are not exe-install. Not sure about location.

More extensions pages.

Some pages require Firefox 3. & How to change default strings to Firefox 3

At the link especially the bottom post.

p.s. Double Post? No matter: I merely informed You about customs here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 10:50AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.