General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
flash player switcher
Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 23, 2009 06:26PM

http://kmeleon.swiftfree.net/files/flashswitch.7z

switches the flash plugin between 3 versions, flash 8(last release from macromedia), 9 and flash 10.
mainly for developers to test their flash content on older versions but can also be useful for end-users who prefer using older flash versions with extended usage on flash sites(last.fm) and flash 10 may present a memory-leak problem and then switch back to flash 10 when a specific site requires it.
if a newer release of flash plugin is released, you can update the npswf32.dll version in tools\flashswitch\flash10 this way you can still use the latest flash version when you like and switch back to older versions. also this can be very useful with some legacy websites that use very old flash content(flash 4 or 5).. these old flashes fail to run with flash 9 and 10 but work fine with flash 8(macromedia always made sure of backward compatibility).

needless to say; you can not switch flash when a page with flash content is loaded because the plugin will be in use..however no errors will pop up, it will just not be able to copy the dll to kmeleon's plugins folder.. however if you use block flash extension, you can switch flash before clicking the big round play button. for convenience the script checks and displays the flash version in the plugins folder(active flash).

the package includes the plugin dll for all 3 versions so no need for additional download..also flash 10 is supported by 9x systems even though adobe sez otherwise.

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ----------flash switcher--------------------------------------------

$_tool_path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\Tools";
$_plug_path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\plugins";
$flash8="flash08";
$flash9="flash09";
$flash10="flash10";

flashswitcher_8{
exec($_tool_path."\\flashswitch\\flashswitch.exe \"".$_plug_path."\" \"".$flash8."\"");
}

flashswitcher_9{
exec($_tool_path."\\flashswitch\\flashswitch.exe \"".$_plug_path."\" \"".$flash9."\"");
}

flashswitcher_10{
exec($_tool_path."\\flashswitch\\flashswitch.exe \"".$_plug_path."\" \"".$flash10."\"");
}

verzione{
exec($_tool_path."\\flashswitch\\flashswitch.exe \"".$_plug_path."\"");
}

swfswitch_BuildMenu{
setmenu("_Config_General",popup,"Flash Switcher",5);
setmenu("Flash Switcher",macro,"Flash 08 Switch",flashswitcher_8);
setmenu("Flash Switcher",macro,"Flash 09 Switch",flashswitcher_9);
setmenu("Flash Switcher",macro,"Flash 10 Switch",flashswitcher_10);
setmenu("Flash Switcher",separator,-1);
setmenu("Flash Switcher",macro,"Active Version",verzione);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."swfswitch_BuildMenu;";
# --------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."swfswitch;";

; AutoIt Version: 3.3.0
; Language: English
; Platform: Win9x/NT
; Author: yanni

#NoTrayIcon
#include <GUIConstantS E X.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#Include <String.au3>

if $CmdLine[0]=1 Then
getversion()
ElseIf $CmdLine[0]>1 Then
switcher()
Else
MsgBox(4096,"User Error","Flash switcher can only be executed from K-meleon.", 10)
EndIf
Exit

Func getversion()
$swfdll=($CmdLine[1] &"\NPSWF32.dll")
$getversion=FileGetVersion($swfdll)
;MsgBox(4096,"Test","Current Flash version: " & $getversion, 10)
$version = GUICreate("Flash Version", 184, 28, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_DLGFRAME, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST))
$label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Active Flash Version: " & $getversion, 15, 7, 210, 20)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
While 1
$msg = GUIGetMsg()
sleep(4000)
GUIDelete()
ExitLoop
WEnd
Exit
EndFunc

Func switcher()
$swf8path=(@ScriptDir & "\flash8\NPSWF32.dll")
$swf9path=(@ScriptDir & "\flash9\NPSWF32.dll")
$swf10path=(@ScriptDir & "\flash10\NPSWF32.dll")
$switch=StringRight($CmdLine[2], 2)
if $switch=08 Then
FileCopy ($swf8path, $CmdLine[1], 1)
sleep(888)
getversion()
;MsgBox(4096,"Test8","fucker1" & $CmdLine[1], 10)
ElseIf $switch=09 Then
FileCopy ($swf9path, $CmdLine[1], 1)
sleep(888)
getversion()
;MsgBox(4096,"Test9","fucker2" & $CmdLine[1], 10)
ElseIf $switch=10 Then
FileCopy ($swf10path, $CmdLine[1], 1)
sleep(888)
getversion()
;MsgBox(4096,"Test10","fucker3" & $CmdLine[1], 10)
EndIf
Exit
EndFunc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 11:32PM by disrupted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flash player switcher
Posted by: soccerfan
Date: April 23, 2009 07:03PM

Neat idea! Thanks smiling smiley

soccerfan

Date: April 23, 2009 10:59PM

thanks.. i was always juggling between the 3 versions..testing if a bug was related to flash plugin or kmeleon and some times for old flash games sites which flash10 didn't particularly like...it was becoming all too frequent so it was time to throw in autoit .. thought it might be useful to others too

Posted by: reeko124
Date: April 24, 2009 05:13AM

Stupid question I put KM on a different partition and it isn't installed just portable. Now Flash won't work do I copy the flash file from my C drive and place it in my kmeleon plugins folder and rename it?

Reeko

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 24, 2009 07:40AM

AFAIK the player dll is a standalone file & yes You can copy it there. K-Meleon will find it in his own plugins folder. In the place where it is registered as a Windows dll. And in other browsers plugins folder normally.

p.s. I wished all plugins were like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 08:03AM by guenter.

Posted by: reeko124
Date: April 24, 2009 08:59AM

Didn't work sad smiley I even moved it back to C: drive and it wouldn't work. I had it working the first time I installed win2k. I reinstalled it again and installed flash again and now it won't work. It is the same one I used before. Whats funny is I am worried about it but I can't play Flash video from youtube or anywhere like that. I can view it but the audio is ok but I only get a picture every 5-10 seconds sad smiley. Can't stream WMV either but mpeg I can with no problems. Just guess its an old computer. I can download youtube videos(FLV) and play them with no problem but I can't even download wmv and play them beause they are choppy and slow. I have tried to find a solution but the only thing I can come up with is my computer is just to old and slow to stream those two type of files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 09:00AM by reeko124.

Date: April 24, 2009 02:01PM

try reinstalling flash..if no luck or can't install..

download the above extension and use it to test with flash 10 and 9..also try downloading this file and saving it to kmeleon\plugins
http://kmeleon.swiftfree.net/plugins/flashplayer.xpt

Posted by: siria
Date: December 22, 2009 01:03AM

If there's only an image every few seconds it's hardly the computer, but much more likely the connexion provider.

Btw, some months ago I had probs too with flash, it didn't run at all, until I finally realized that (on my win98) that plugin must not be double - that is, once in the windows system and second in the KM plugins folder. Flash works fine if EITHER in windows installed, OR without any install, just the plugin in KM plugin folder.

Okaay... And now I finally got my butt up again and tested this switcher here ;-)
FANTASTIC!! THANKS!
Switching of course works fine, but do you know this is the very first option for KM that can actually realiably block ALL Flash files?! I was looking for that for YEARS! The normal "Flashblock" blocks only if javascript is on, and the "Objects-block" fails when using the "open video"-macro :-(

Therefore my little request for update now :cool:
--------------------------------

Please add another option in the menu: NO Flash!
All that's needed for this is an empty textfile named just like the plugin. No idea if this works on other systems too, but definitely on my old win98.

And request for another additional menu entry: :cool:
Tools / Privacy / Flash Switcher

Personally I've already added it on the right-click of my block-flash button, too lazy to always dig so deeply in submenus tongue sticking out smiley
Button command:
macros(KM_ToggleFlashblock)|Flash Switcher

EDIT:
Ah yes, and another thing, sorry
It took me quite long to find it again, because "Web DEVELOPMENT" just never occured to me: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext5.htm
Perhaps better put it to the other plugins? "Browser Plugins" smiling smiley

EDIT-2:
Tsss... am already sleeping obviously, wanted to mention yet that Flash10 does NOT work on win98, at least not without additional tricks...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 01:08AM by siria.

Posted by: slayer
Date: December 22, 2009 02:33AM

There is a flash-uninstaller from adobe, download it and uninstall flash, reboot. Install the new version, then reboot again. You may want to use Ccelaner too before testing.
Uninstaller from adobe
Note: Remember to close any web-browser instance, before running those EXEs.

@siria: To let flash work with win98 I've changed my screen depth to 32bits, otherwise it won't work.

Date: December 22, 2009 09:48AM

Sigh - no, 32bit don't help in my case either. Still that huge placeholder only.
I've read about more tricks, guess on the kernelex forum, but at the moment don't feel enough need to have flash10 to invest yet more energy (again), so be it for now tongue sticking out smiley

But after struggling another hour with switching, there's something that bugs me much more: Can it be that switching only works on-the-fly as long as the last version was a "good" flash? Because I can switch from (working) flash9 to (xp-only) flash10 while the browser is running, and a youtube test vid goes from "working" to "placeholder" - but not back anymore to flash9. It is copied and the version shown, so far okay, but when opening the video again it shows never anything else but the placeholder anymore. Same for the empty dummy flash. Switching to another working version - fine. Switching to a buggy one - no chance to get flash9 back without browser restart :-(

Date: December 22, 2009 11:10AM

the flash switcher basically copies the selected version and overwrites the one at kmeleon\plugins so it can nt switch while the file dd is being loaded into memory..like a page running the flash plugin, just like you couldn't delete a file that's being used by the system..that's why i added the version notifier aafter a switch so the user will know if the plugin was switched successfully or if it's being called by a website but there's no need to restart the browser..just close the tab/window that has the plugin loaded this will release it from memory and you can do a switch normally.

the idea of using a bogus plugin to block flash is a nice one but it will be very inconvenient for most users because unlike flashblock, you don't have an option to activate a certain flash..but all flashes will be blocked for all sites and when you do activate flash by a switch, it will require that the user refresh the page..most users will not know and think that the flash is still blocked.

flash 10 works without problems on me windows 98 with flash 8 installed globally for the system..i don't really know why it doesn't work on other systems..adobe definitely know because they have said flash 9 is for 9x etc while the npplugin 10 in theory should work on 9x..it's not specially coded or compiled for nt! so there shouldn't e a problem running it on 9x but they know the reason..possibly system file or update and to save themselves support..they simply told everyone flash 10 is for nt only(big lie).. i don't have a special 98..it's 98 se with very few updates, still running ie5 ..nothing major..the thing is, i believe most sites npw especially games and streaming reuire flash 10 so using flash 9 can limit your browsing and..

i'll reboot in win 9x to test something and finsih this later

Date: December 22, 2009 11:33AM

Thanks for helping, but believe me, I tried already repeatedly to close the tab, refresh and clear cache and clear memory and temp files and such... And switching from a "good" flash to a "bad" one really works fine, as intended! Just once a "bad" one was chosen, that one stubbornly remained in memory or whatever, even when copying over a "good" one seemed to work fine at first. No chance (on my system) then without browser restart.

As for Flash10, frankly, as long as youtube runs fine with Flash9, I don't care much. Have no interest in games and such stuff :cool:

Date: December 22, 2009 01:31PM

i could not not make it work in my 98..it just works, maybe the problem is my win98. i remooved xpt..removed the global plugin, unregistered the flash ocx..it still worked, i wish there was someone else with win 98 who can confirm that flash10 npp plugin works on 9x..are you using the original nt kmeleon through kernelex or regular kmeleon9x.exe?

anyway, try this:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/tests/flashswitchextra-siriabeta.7z

this includes a new menu entry"disactivate flash"
remeber to activate flash, you will neeed to first close the tab and then switch and open the tab again

Date: December 22, 2009 01:51PM

same version as above but without the flash plugins, for dialup users who do not need to download the plugins
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/tests/flashswitchextra-siriabeta-noplugins.7z

Date: January 02, 2010 04:11AM

bump! Sorry.

I uninstalled flash from my system, and then tried to use the flash switcher, it worked using flash 9, but not the 10 version. I fixed it installing the activex version for IE, that's all. I can use flash10 again.

@disrupted: Does the first post download include the version to disable Flash?

Date: January 02, 2010 09:40AM

thanks, maybe that explains the problem on some systems not being able to invoke flash10 when flash is not installed universally.

it could very ell be related to the missing ocx.. i didn't test on xp but win 98 it was able to invoke without the ocx.

anyway..if anyone is having problems with the flash 10 plugin, please download the ocx and save it inside your system folder..normally it doesn't need to be registered, but if it doesn't work;

start>run>
regsvr32 flash10c.ocx

click ok

i've uploaded 2 versions of ocx, either one of them should enable the plugin.. but the older version is for 9x incase flash10.ocx fails to register on those systems:

flash10 ocx (for win nt and possibly 9x as well)
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/libraries/Flash10c.ocx.7z

for 9x(if the above fails to work);
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/libraries/FLASHocx-win9x.7z

the flash disabler is only a test thing, it's not very reliable..you can try it but it's not the "official" version

Posted by: snuz2
Date: January 06, 2010 09:08AM

i use 98 and i'm interested in getting flash10 going w/o KEX if possible. but i don't think i fully understand what you're saying, you mean you using the Flash10 plugin with the Flash8 dll ?

where can i get this plugin without the installer ( which really balks at 98, even with KEX)? is it in the links you made for siria?

thanks,
snuz2

Date: January 06, 2010 09:21PM

You don't need the Kernel Extensions. What I did is to install the IE 9 version first, then I extracted the version 10 DLL from the installer for other browsers using 7zip. But you could use this flash-switcher extension, so it would easier this way.

Date: January 07, 2010 06:40AM

question was mostly directed at disrupted, but let me get this straight....:s

IE and Mozilla flash share the same dll? just two interfaces, one ax and one netscape plugin? and you can use the flash 10 dll with flash 9 plugin on Win98?

Date: January 07, 2010 04:06PM

I think not, they are not the same. THe Ax version for IE. But I think that there is something, a registry key or the ocx file being registered from the ax installer maybe. But KM will use the DLL that you have on the plugins folder, and you can have the version 10 there.

Date: January 08, 2010 09:26AM

okay, i installed it. basically same results as siria, no flash 10. could this be because i don't have 32 bit video? not an option on this graphic card. all i see is the placeholder. 8 and 9 work as always.

Date: January 08, 2010 04:00PM

i don't think it's related to the graphics card colour depth. it seems for some reason flash10 works on some 9x systems but not on others.. as slayer said the ocx isn't really related to the npplugin but i thought maybe it enabled some functions for the netscape plugin. one thing for sure where the ocx is essential is when playing certain flash files or flv videos in a 3rd party player(outside the browser) flv players that rely on flash libraries will not work if the ocx is not registered, only players that use their own codecs like mplayer and vlc can play flv and other flash formats without registering the ocx or having flash installed globally.

try registering that ocx and see if the 10 plugin works
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/libraries/FLASHocx-win9x.7z
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/libraries/Flash10c.ocx.7z

extract both files in c:\windows\system folder
register the first one with regsvr32

Date: January 09, 2010 06:31AM

i tried both of them, doesn't help. flash 9 ax is installed in any case so I doubt that's an issue. it seems natural that the ocx is required for players, but the dll looks big enough to play files without it.

so is there a way to install it with kernel x ? something about tricking it to install as if it were NT , iirc... ?

Date: January 10, 2010 12:29AM

To use the version 10 of the flash installer you just need to change a registry key with regedit.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"VersionNumber"="4.10.2222"
Change the VersionNumber from "4.10.2222" to "5" or above, install Flash, and revert the changes (put it back to "4.10.2222" ) on your registry, otherwise the system could crash. Then reboot. KE is not necessary to run the Exe.
Do this only if you know you computer very well and if you know how to fix it in any case if anything goes wrong.

Date: January 14, 2010 06:24AM

nope. that doesn't work any better than switching to flash 10 with flash switcher. it installs without complaint but the browser shows a missing plugin even though flash 10 is listed in about:plugins. what am i doing wrong???

flash 9 is still installed on ie, could this be the problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 06:25AM by snuz2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.