General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Status bar message precedence
Posted by: Doon
Date: January 26, 2010 03:08AM

The status bar displays various messages while a page is loading, as it should, but when I hover the cursor over an active link (while the page is still loading) it only shows the link infomation in the status bar for a few milliseconds (useless), then reverts back to showing the background task info about transferring data, looking up, connecting to server, etc.

Hovering over active links should take precedence over background page loading information, but as it is one has to stop a page from loading to be able to hover on a link to see where it leads.

I've looked for solutions to this problem but I haven't found any. Does anyone know a way of changing this, or at least extending the time the active link status will override the background info status?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 04:25AM by Doon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Status bar message precedence
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 26, 2010 07:55PM

I know how frustating it is.

I don't know if exists such config, I think it doesn't, but it used to be an older macro (from 0.x versions, if I'm not wrong) which I still use that, added to the menu cfg, it can display, right clicking the link, the link itself as an alert.

Just create a menu entry for Links in menus.cfg and call to this macro:

I post as a code to avoid distorsion, but sorry for the distorsion of this page confused smiley

LinkInfo{
$JSdoitA="var l=getAttribute('hreflang'),p=getAttribute('ping'),t=getAttribute('type'),s='"._("Link Properties:")."\\n\\n"._("URL:\\t%s")."'.replace(/%s/,unescape(href));if(p)s+='\\n"._("Ping:\\t%s")."'.replace(/%s/,unescape(p));if(l||t){s+='\\n\\n"._("Properties of Linked Resource:")."\\n';if(t)s+='\\n"._("MIME Type:\\t%s")."'.replace(/%s/,t);if(l)s+='\\n"._("Language:\\t%s")."'.replace(/%s/,l)}s+='\\n\\n"._("Do you want to view the linked resource now?")."';if(confirm(s)){if(top.location==self.location)open(href);top.location.href=href};j=a.length"; &hndlA;
}

Posted by: siria
Date: January 26, 2010 08:10PM

Hmmm... Looks like that's what one gets when clicking on "Link Properties"? smiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 26, 2010 11:50PM

Looks like it is. It is basically the same code.

I didn't dig enough the first time (how a hate buildmenu command).

The menu and the reference to the macro was inside another macro (crazy!).

Date: January 27, 2010 11:16PM

Thanks for your time and effort, John. Right-clicking for Link Properties isn't something I'd thought of, so that's a step in the right direction, but not the solution.

I researched, searched deeply for clues, extracted the jars in the chrome folder, but I didn't turn up anything that I could make sense of.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 04:20AM by Doon.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 27, 2010 11:43PM

Perhaps one of the 1001 firefox add-ons may give a clue?? :cool:
I know the one I found here is only for new gecko, but the reviews mention two other ones, perhaps it may be a starting point for further searching... ;-)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/55724

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 30, 2010 12:50AM

Are you tried to check "Disallow scripts to manipulate statusbar text" option in Preferences (F2) -> JavaScript ?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 30, 2010 04:17AM

Yes, but the problem is unrelated to scripts. It's probably only an issue for dialup users and the solution probably lies somewhere in the KM source code, so I'm willing to let the matter rest. Thanks everyone.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.