General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Strange Google link behavior
Date: January 31, 2010 05:24PM

Recently I've been having problems with links in Google searches. I try to open the link in a new tab, but when I go tp that tab, the browser is straining away and getting nowhere. In the address bar, instead of the URL I expect to see, there is a long string of Google-garbage.

To get back to normal, I close K-meleon, clear the cache, and delete the history. Then everything is fine until I've used it for a few days. Whatever it is, it is cumulative. Not a life-threatening problem, but a nuisance when I have to interrupt my work to close a bunch of tabs and start over.

What puzzles me most is that it started this year, this month. I don't know what could have changed to set off this odd behavior. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be interested (if I can keep track of this thread, LOL).

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange Google link behavior
Posted by: Kleon
Date: January 31, 2010 05:44PM

K-Meleon's search option offers a variety of search engines beside Google. You could try one of these (or add a new one), and see if the problem exists there too.

You could also try creating a new user profile for yourself. Back up your Bookmarks/ Favorites and then import them into your new profile.

Date: February 02, 2010 06:19AM

I am aware of the options. What I am interested in is why the links get screwed up.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Posted by: siria
Date: February 02, 2010 06:40AM

No idea, but sounds like you got yourself somehow trapped by them :cool: Instead of closing the browser, I'd just try clearing cache and delete google cookies and reconnect to get another IP-number. And forbid cookies and referer in privacy menu or privbar, as long as not needed for other stuff of course. But often needed cookies can be put in the whitelist-permissions. Also clear the flash cookies in the appdata-macromedia folder. Doesnt that garbage string give any hints what it's about??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 06:45AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 02, 2010 09:10PM

In case you don't know, I've just learned that google will drop support for ie6 and ff2 in March.
Which means we don't have much time :p

Thread/Mail: Re: K-Meleon 1.6

p.s. Lets hope 4 speedy results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 09:10PM by guenter.

Date: February 02, 2010 09:19PM

What?? Is that sure? They'd have to be crazy, I can't imagine any valid reason for making a site or service that complicated that only the latest browsers can use them! Besides, IE6 still has a market share of about 20%, that's not peanuts:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2

Date: February 02, 2010 09:30PM

The signs on the wall, I read this forum, say that FF 2's (GRE 1.8.x like K-Meleon 1.5.x) JavaScript implementation does not work on all sites any more. sad smiley

It is planned - no idea when it will really come.

p.s. Ich scherze nicht, die Info ist IMHO seriös.

IE6 geht mich nichts an, wegen dem bin ich hier tongue sticking out smiley

Es könnte sein, dass sie es später machen, wenn sie Vernunft annehmen.grinning smiley

Aber Dorian wär der Letzte, der Quatsch schreiben würd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 09:41PM by guenter.

Posted by: slayer
Date: February 02, 2010 09:52PM

I just switched from Google to Bing. Google is faster and its bots crawl faster the new web sites, but I'm trying Bing and I'm looking for a change. I've been using Google for a long time.

Date: February 02, 2010 10:39PM

Absolut.

Google forgets that the % might be small but the shear numbers of old GRE users is still considerable tongue sticking out smiley

Bad luck: if smaller competitors keep supporting.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 03, 2010 05:19AM

Guenter,

My blogs are all on Google and this showed up tonight in my email.

"Dear Google Apps admin,​

In order to continue to improve our products and deliver more sophisticated features and performance, we are harnessing some of the latest improvements in web browser technology. This includes faster JavaScript processing and new standards like HTML5. As a result, over the course of 2010, we will be phasing out support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 ​as well as other older browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers.

We plan to begin phasing out support of these older browsers on the Google Docs suite and the Google Sites editor on March 1, 2010. After that point, certain functionality within these applications may have higher latency and may not work correctly in these older browsers. Later in 2010, we will start to phase out support for these browsers for Google Mail and Google Calendar.

Google Apps will continue to support Internet Explorer 7.0 and above, Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome 4.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and above.

Starting this week, users on these older browsers will see a message in Google Docs and the Google Sites editor explaining this change and asking them to upgrade their browser. We will also alert you again closer to March 1 to remind you of this change.

In 2009, the Google Apps team delivered more than 100 improvements to enhance your product experience. We are aiming to beat that in 2010 and continue to deliver the best and most innovative collaboration products for businesses.

Thank you for your continued support!

Sincerely,

The Google Apps team

Email preferences: You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Apps product or account.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043"

N

Date: February 03, 2010 08:31AM

GRRR.... Those morons, isnt that abuse of monopoly and discrimination against others?! As a punishment for google having built-in that spying backdoor themselves, fully intentionally, and now are harrassing the victims of that yet more instead of closing that door again?!

But if they aren't really shutting out people by non-working features, only by checking vendor names and then refusing, why not just include that name too in the useragent macro? At least that browserspy site (WOW) is obviously just pulling that info from a simple pref string, and toggling prefs really is kinda easy. I'd think it best to have more choices in User Agents, some as they are now (only UA faked but real vendor name), and some with both strings 'customized'. Provided that google only uses that way too and nothing more sophisticated??

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.