General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Hotmail in K-Meleon (new and better solution)
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 30, 2010 11:49AM

Good morning.

Many of us have had the weird problem of trying to use K-Meleon to access Hotmail, finding some trouble about bars that doesn't appear, text editing, and having to reenter the password when accessing Hotmail's e-mail inbox directly from Messenger's button.

The standar solution to the first problems was to change the browsers ID to Firefox 2.0, but this didn't help with the problem of having to reenter the password when accesing Hotmail's e-mail inbox directly from Messenger's button.

I've found a little utility that makes the trick and, while keeping K-Meleon as your default browser, when you click on the e-mail inbox Messenger's button it opens on IE, so you don't have to reenter the password. It also does the same while accesing to your contact's profiles.

The Pros are:

- Don't need to reenter the password while accesing your e-mail inbox.
- Forget about weird behaviour while editing e-mails.
- Don't need to change your browser's ID to Firefox (and this is important because if everyone is switching ID to Firefox we will not appear at the automatic browser ussage statistics).

The Cons are:

- Links sent through Messenger's normal conversation window doesn't open (at least in my laptop). You have to copy paste them in your browser's URL bar.

I've been using it for about 2 months and works fine for me.
Here's the link to the utility web and here's the direct download link.

Hope someone finds it usefull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 12:20PM by enaitzjga.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hotmail in K-Meleon (new and better solution)
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 30, 2010 12:18PM

Hum ... if you think it's better to use IE instead of K-Meleon ...why to use K-Meleon instead of IE ?

Don't think so, and more since I'm under Linux

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: January 30, 2010 12:42PM

Please don't get me wrong, the problem is that, due to Microsoft politics, even using the FF2 user agent users have problems to access their Hotmail inboxes.

I wish that there could be other solution, but by now I've only found 3 ways to face Hotmail odd behaviour:

1) Keep using KM normally: You have to reenter passwords and you can't edit the text boxes on the e-mail sending window, so you virtually can't send any e-mail.

2) Use KM with FF2 user agent: You have to reenter passwords and, even when you can edit text windows and write e-mails, several elements of the e-mail editing tools doesn't work properly (and you can't know when they're missworking because you have never seen them the right way to compare).

3) Use IE (but only for accesing Hotmail): Everything works fine.

IMHO, I prefer to use IE to access Hotmail (which is about 1% of my daily Internet usage) and using K-Meleon for everything else.

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 30, 2010 02:47PM

I have no problems with Hotmail and KM. I don't know exactly why, but everything seems to run fine.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 30, 2010 06:06PM

slayer
I have no problems with Hotmail and KM. I don't know exactly why, but everything seems to run fine.

Same here. Just compared options when creating new mail and all text editing options are available in KM w/default UA just like IE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 06:06PM by jsnj.

Posted by: encoderX
Date: January 30, 2010 06:33PM

Hotmail appears perfectly fine for me in KM smiling smiley

Extremely rare I use hotmail via the browser as I have it on my mobile phone!

I also have my domains own email so really no use for hotmail I got it just so I could secure my username but, don't use it much at all smiling smiley

--
★ e n c o d e r X ★

Date: January 30, 2010 09:47PM

O_o

Seems I'm the only one with problems here.
Maybe they've fixed it up since the last time I tried?

Anyway, even if once in Hotmail everything works fine, the Messenger's button to access Hotmail keeps asking me to reenter the password.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 09:47PM by enaitzjga.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 17, 2010 06:13PM

enaitzjga
O_o

Seems I'm the only one with problems here.
Maybe they've fixed it up since the last time I tried?

Anyway, even if once in Hotmail everything works fine, the Messenger's button to access Hotmail keeps asking me to reenter the password.

yeah, I guess you're the only one with that minor hotmail problem.

I don't use the Messenger button in Hotmail whatsoever in KM cause I don't need it.
why, do you use MSN Messenger also, enaitzjga?

Date: February 17, 2010 11:11PM

Well, I use latest Windows Live Messenger and I'm still having that problem, solved with that small program which opens hotmail in IE.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.