General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Translation to US English
Posted by: caktus
Date: February 20, 2010 03:02PM

One of the news web sites I often read is cnsnews.com. However, some characters such as " ⠀ œ â € and ™s" are scattered through out the text of the articles making it difficult for me to read and sometimes to comprehend. I have emailed cnsnews.com regarding the matter but they won't even respond. Is there a way, perhaps a translation tool that can remove these characters?

Thank you,

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation to US English
Posted by: siria
Date: February 20, 2010 04:19PM

Weird... I don't get those funny characters, everything looks perfectly normal english. Probably some custom setting on your machine? When you click View > Encoding, is there UTF-8 checked? And also "autodetect - universal"?

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 20, 2010 07:29PM

I checked the Encoding and found that Unicode (UTF-8) is used when loading the pages from the Internet. But pages "Saved As" and when using "File All Tabs" the browser Encoding switches to Western (ISO-8859-1) for those particular pages which create the strange characters. When I change the Encoding to (UTF-8) the page reloads removing the strange characters. When I open the saved pages while I am online takes it about a minute to reload, but when I am offline the pages immediately. I wish there were a way to save to pages in (UTF-8) but since the pages reload immediately when I am reading the pages offline I guess I can live with.

I had been putting up with this problem as long as I have been using KM browsers (2 1/2 years).:mad: And since the problem seemed to be occurring only on cnsnews I thought it was a problem with the web site. Thank you siria, you have been a big help.smiling smileysmiling smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: siria
Date: February 20, 2010 07:57PM

2 years, whow you've got patience grinning smiley
But now that you say it... Yes, after saving german pages I often have the same problem! And even online sometimes, though mostly in the past. For me too that was a major pain in the a** for too many years, until I finally found thatt function in KM. Things can be so easy, sigh. Glad that helped you too now smiling smiley
BTW a page doesn't get changed when saving, it's just the encoding setting that gets forgotten sometimes, I suspect perhaps if it's defined in some external file which isn't stored, but no idea.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: March 01, 2010 05:24AM

There's no encoding specified on the page, except to an external JS call. Probably why it defaults to Iso. I don't know, but maybe it's possible to automatically inject an encoding specification like <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
into all your pages with user js or css. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this but maybe someone else here knows if it's possible. That would force all pages to the correct encoding on load.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.