General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
where did my "bookmarks" tab go?
Posted by: brad
Date: March 22, 2010 03:18PM

I seem to remember this is an easy fix but can't recall it. I opened up the browser and for some reason BOOKMARKS is missing from the FILE EDIT VIEW SESSIONS TOOLS HELP menu.

Where'd it go? why'd it disappear?

Thanks so much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where did my "bookmarks" tab go?
Date: March 22, 2010 03:22PM

...and also. Over time, the toolbars above get shifted all over the place. I realize you can lock them. But in the event that they've gotten out of whack (other people using the computer etc) is there a way to "restore default" or something to put them back in the original alignment?

Date: March 22, 2010 03:47PM

I went to edit/preferences/kmeleonplugins/netscapebookmark and sure enough the 'enable support' box was empty. I clicked on it. Close kmeleon and reopened and the bookmarks tab is still missing. I opened the 'enable/disable kmeleon panel directly from preferences and made sure that box was checked as well. It was.

I'm still missing the bookmarks tab.

Date: March 22, 2010 03:54PM

Oh well. I restarted the computer and opened kmeleon and bookmarks tab is back.

All the bookmarks have gone missing though. I'm pretty sure I was not doing anything unusual to have lost them and the bookmarks tab. I certainly did not, on my own, do anything like go into edit/preferences/kmeleonplugins etc and uncheck support on my own. I did not even know how to get there to FIX the problem for god's sake.
Is this a bug? How did the support get unchecked/deleted/erased/whatever on it's very own?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 22, 2010 04:49PM

@ Brad

I can't answer how your bookmarks checkbox became empty. Are you the only user of the computer?

Perhaps there was a problem with your profile. When that happens, KM will create another profile. It does not delete the old profile. Profiles have name like "\kwa3yfb8.default". To find your current profile, you can use EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. Look in the same path for another name.default profile. I think the layout of your KM is kept in the file "Prefs.js". I am not sure how many and which pref values it takes to describe a full layout.

You old bookmarks file should be in the old profile. It is named bookmarks.

Posted by: K-meloner
Date: March 22, 2010 04:59PM

brad
Oh well. I restarted the computer and opened kmeleon and bookmarks tab is back.

All the bookmarks have gone missing though. I'm pretty sure I was not doing anything unusual to have lost them and the bookmarks tab. I certainly did not, on my own, do anything like go into edit/preferences/kmeleonplugins etc and uncheck support on my own. I did not even know how to get there to FIX the problem for god's sake.
Is this a bug? How did the support get unchecked/deleted/erased/whatever on it's very own?

Sigh....user problem, always.

A poor worksman blames his tools.

Date: March 22, 2010 05:14PM

k-meloner, the following instruction is directly quoted from the FAQ of this very website we're on....

How do I enable/disable a K-Meleon plugin?

Open Edit > Preferences and go to the Plugins section. Select the plugin in question and press Enable/Disable. A green checkbox background indicates that a plugin is currently loaded. Checked plugins will be loaded next time K-Meleon starts.

... and there are a few other similar instructions for enable/disable plugins elsewhere that ALL unequivocally state that the plug in will function when you reopen the browser. I understand that in many cases it is good practice to restart the computer each time you make ANY change, but in this case I was simply had no good reason to doubt the wisdome of "official" FAQs and tutorials.

K-meloner, are you this much of a DICK in real life? Or do you just get a lift out of playing one anonymously on the internet?

Date: March 22, 2010 05:25PM

... and JamesD, thank you very much for your assistance. Amazing to witness k-meloner's useless imbecility so close on the heels of such generous decency.
What a world.

Re: where did my "bookmarks" tab go? / Skin toolbars position
Posted by: siria
Date: March 22, 2010 07:01PM

Guys, please...

Back on topic: Just a guess, perhaps you forgot to also restart the KM loader? Or you're perhaps on Vista/win7 which occasionally seem to require system restarts to show changes, just like in good ol' win3.1 times...

brad
Over time, the toolbars above get shifted all over the place. I realize you can lock them. But in the event that they've gotten out of whack (other people using the computer etc) is there a way to "restore default" or something to put them back in the original alignment?

Upon closing the browser, the toolbar positions are stored (among tons of others) in "prefs.js" in the profile folder. Can be opened in any text editor.
All the entries with "kmeleon.toolband. ..."
One can also check the current settings when going to the about:config page and filter for "toolband".
If there are no user-set positions stored in prefs.js, I'd bet KM will take them from the file "skin.js" in the skin folder at startup :cool: If that doesn't exist either, it will look for it in the folder K-Meleon/defaults/pref.

So it takes a bit manual work to create a custom default "skin.js", by copying the toolband lines from the current "prefs.js" and placing it in the skin folder as "skin.js". Not quite sure but guess the toolbars must not be moved since the last browser start, since the prefs.js says it only gets written at shutdown. When the copy is ready, close the browser, close the loader, open prefs.js again and delete the block with all "kmeleon.toolband..."-entries, save the file, and restart browser again...

PS: I have not tried that, use at own risk grinning smiley But not really a risk if you make a backup copy of your prefs.js first!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 07:05PM by siria.

Posted by: K-Meleoner
Date: March 22, 2010 11:36PM

brad
K-meloner, are you this much of a DICK in real life? Or do you just get a lift out of playing one anonymously on the internet?

Amazing to witness k-meloner's useless imbecility so close on the heels of such generous decency.
What a world.

Wow ! Amazing to witness brad's blatant vulgarity so close on the heels of such generous decency.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 23, 2010 04:41AM

Hi, K-Meleoner,
this, on the other hand:

Sigh....user problem, always.
A poor worksman blames his tools.

is not of a kind of statement that helps to keep up the overall
quality and friendlyness of this forum, IMHO - no matter how true.

I guess that's why siria wrote: "Guys, please... ", not: "Brad, please"

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: K-meleoner
Date: March 23, 2010 04:49AM

SoerenB
Hi, K-Meleoner,
this, on the other hand is not of a kind of statement that helps to keep up the overall quality and friendlyness of this forum, IMHO - no matter how true.

True. My humble apologies...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.