General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
adobe flash player alternative
Date: April 10, 2010 03:50AM

i overheated the ram on my other machine, and for now i'm using a slow machine it play flv mpg4 etc videos fine except in browser windows i was reading somewhere that videos can be patched through to play in an alternate player such as vlc..does anyone know how to do this? or is there an alternate player that uses less system resources?
thx
Rhythm

::edit::

i have found this

"VLC Plugin for Firefox (Mozilla)

The Mozilla plugin (Excerpted from the VLC User Guide)

Install

There are at least two ways to install the VLC Mozilla Plugin. One way is to to check the "Install Firefox Plugin" when you install VLC.

If the standard exe installation does not install the mozilla plugin directory then download zip version which includes the required data and continue with the next installation (2nd way of installing of the plugin)

The second way involves several steps:

1. Quit Firefox or Mozilla

2. Copy the two files in VLC_Installation_folder\mozilla (usually C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\mozilla) to your mozilla plugins directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Mozilla\plugins or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins).

3. Restart Firefox or Mozilla

Use the plugin

If you open a link to a video file handled by the VLC plugin (To get the list of handled types, browse to about:plugins) or a page with an embedded video, the plugin should open and read the video. "

source: http://wiki.videolan.org/Windows#VLC_Plugin_for_Firefox_.28Mozilla.29

but there is only one file i the \VideoLAN\VLC\mozilla

does anyone have anymore information on this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 04:48AM by rhythmandtheecho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: adobe flash player alternative
Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 11, 2010 01:27PM

rhythmandtheecho
i overheated the ram on my other machine, and for now i'm using a slow machine it play flv mpg4 etc videos fine except in browser windows

An alternative whould be to grab the link, to download the content and open it locally with the player of your choice.
MPlayer which I use will open FLV, MP4, MPEG4 and a lot of other formats.
For opening SWF files locally you can use the stand alone Adobe Flash Player.

Date: April 11, 2010 07:31PM

Yogi
rhythmandtheecho
i overheated the ram on my other machine, and for now i'm using a slow machine it play flv mpg4 etc videos fine except in browser windows

An alternative whould be to grab the link, to download the content and open it locally with the player of your choice.
MPlayer which I use will open FLV, MP4, MPEG4 and a lot of other formats.
For opening SWF files locally you can use the stand alone Adobe Flash Player.

i don't i to open with vlc i want i to open embeded using the faster codecs...and vlc is the best imo i jus need help getting it to play embeded

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 11, 2010 10:54PM

rythm i don't think it's possible..not that's it's impossible programming wise but impossible legal-wise, adobe will not allow it.

in theory you can use the vlc plugin npvlc.dll to play local flv files in the browser..by setting mimetype and dragging the flv into the browser window but you won't be able to stream flv or sp1 and swf because adobe won't allow others to use their format in plugins..even if someone did it, it will be underground and won't publish it for the general public

the current alternatives to flash are not exactly alternatives as they don't support adobe's format but offer similar technology like silverlight or ogm plugins..but the relies on the popularity of those technologies with web developers to replace flash and flash is far more popular for now.

in panzer's programs library 'freeware part1' there's a very promising opensource flash replacement but i forgot its name..let's hope it catches on

Posted by: slayer
Date: April 12, 2010 12:02AM

This is the same problem I have, the Adobe plugin is too slow, buggy, and a processor killer. I can watch Flv videos externally with MPLAYER, but I need to download them first.
There is an option, the http://tinyogg.com site, which converts flv videos to the ogv format, but due to the new HTML standards, it will work only with the 1.6 version of KM.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.