General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
VLC plugin ?
Posted by: slayer
Date: April 12, 2010 12:06AM

Hey, I have installed the npvlc.dll plugin, to play this ogg
ine_wave_440.ogg" rel="nofollow" >http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivoconfused smileyine_wave_440.ogg
But the buttons (play|pause|stop), don't seem to do anything. Do I need to have VLC installed too?
Thanks in advance.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.24pre) Gecko/20100228 K-Meleon/1.5.4

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VLC plugin ?
Posted by: oldnavy
Date: April 12, 2010 04:26PM

I can play this OGG file with: K-Meleon 1.54, Firefox 3.63, IE7, Iron 5.0.
I can't play it with K-Meleon 1.6a3 as you said above. Both version KM have the same plugins.
I don't have VLC plugin installed and VLC too. But I have installed latest version of Direct show OGG filters for WMP and any Direct Show player. I am using MPC.

http://xiph.org/dshow/downloads/

Maybe it somehow helps.

Edited.
When I checked Preference - File Handling - By type
I discovered that KM 1.6 doesn't have SWF(Shockwave flash) in Action table against KM 1.54, that does have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 04:49PM by oldnavy.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 12, 2010 05:20PM

the vlc plugin or the ogg codec are not related to playing the ogg file on wikipedia sites.

those plugins are used for playing embedded ogg.ogm files..the wikipedia website does not embed ogg or media files in general directly but they are parsed through a java applet

what you need is sun java runtime to be able to play media files on wikipedia

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 12, 2010 06:15PM

You are wrong, disrupted, wikipedia does embed files and are playable via MPC or Quicktime with Xiph plugins installed. No need of java there.

Date: April 12, 2010 06:44PM

maybe but for most files i encountered on wiki, whether audio or video..regardless of their format, they are parsed through a java applet container first

perhaps they detect for plugins installed first and redirect according..in any case, the page posted by slayer does not rely on the vlc plugin in any way

p.s offering the files for download that could be played in mpc or quicktime externally is not embedding, embedding means the files can be played within the page through a plugin ui

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 06:53PM by disrupted.

Date: April 12, 2010 07:30PM

slayer, check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Media_help_(Ogg)

ogg is wikipedia's preferred choice for media(audio and video), probably due to the fact it's open source and supported across all oses.
it seems that the java runtime precedes vlc in detection so your problem could be related to older java

john, you're right about quicktime, it's also supported for the embedded player. i stand corrected, thanks

Posted by: slayer
Date: April 12, 2010 10:00PM

Without the plugin it didn't work. I installed the vlc plugin and I see this:

There is a change, now I can see the buttons, but they do not work.

I could not play ogg files with Xiph and win98SE, I tried these codecs before.
If I want to play an ogg file, what works for me is XMplay, but first I need to download the file.

Date: April 12, 2010 10:56PM

i can't test the npvlc in wikipedia because it always uses java on xp and 98, when i disabled java plugin in the control panel..it didn't use vlc and insisted on java

try this, if you donwloaded the vlc from kmext, maybe it's outdated?
try this version.. i think that's their latest one
http://kmext.sf.net/tests/npvlc.dll.zip

(entire vlc program is not needed)

if it's still not working try deleting this file:
pluginreg.dat (it's in the profiles folder)
and restart kmeleon

Date: April 12, 2010 11:44PM

ok, i got it all wrong..

the standalone plugin in link above is very old and was experimental; their new plugin requires vlc to be installed with all its codes, that's why the standalone was almost 4mb and the new one is 200kb because it needs vlc files

so you will need to download vlc and install it and when it prommpts to use the mozilla plugiin, click yes

you can also test it there:
http://metavid.org/w/index.php?title=Stream:senate_proceeding_03-26-10/0:00:35/0:02:20&tl=1

link above will use vlc in km 1.5 but in 1.6, gecko 1.9 will use integrated theora player

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 12, 2010 11:51PM

OK...yeah, was about to post that it works fine in KM 1.6a3b4, Seamonkey, FF, Opera, IE and Chrome using native browser support. KM 1.1 and 1.5 require either Java or another plugin w/ogg support.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.