icon links on desktop
Posted by: Kevin
Date: December 29, 2003 02:43AM

Is there a way to make shortcut KM links on desktop.?

Re: icon links on desktop
Posted by: Lantash
Date: December 30, 2003 02:11AM

you mean you just want a link to start it? if that's what you want just go the k-meleon shortcut link in your start menu and right-click and then choose copy

you can then go to the desktop and paste it

but, if you want a way to drag & drop URL links to the desktop, please jump over to this thread & say so :^): clickme

Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 30, 2003 03:38AM

I've had no problems dragging links to the desktop. Click on the link and then drag your mouse to the desktop while holding down the left-click button. Does that not work for you?

Date: December 30, 2003 03:59AM

it does not

please tell us what version are you talking about exactly and can you please tell us also in as much detail as possible (as odd as it may seem) exactly the steps you are taking starting from when you first run k-meleon that make it work

thankyou!

Date: December 30, 2003 04:05AM

and for that matter... could -anyone- else who can do so (drag & drop urls from k-meleon 's displayed addresses please also tell the requested info above please!)

thanks!

Date: December 30, 2003 04:14AM

oh... doh!

ummmm....... ok.... everybody please DISREGARD my last two posts (and tell me how i delete them if it's possible and make it possible if it's not)

so, the thing is... yes.... it's possible to drag & drop a URL that is displayed within a webpage as a link ... that's not what i / we want

what's wanted is to be able to drag & drop a URL from the ADDRESS BAR of k-meleon

it's possible in ie and mozilla and phoenix and opera, so k-meleon really ought to be able to do it, but it doesn't seem to be able to

so if i'm just plain wrong, PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME

otherwise, please respond with any NEW info on the topic to this thread AND this thread: clickme

there's also -sort-of- a way to drag & drop the current url of the page you're viewing there, it's just obnoxious, but it's better than nothing :^/

Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 30, 2003 05:11AM

Lantash,

That you cannot currently do. Sounds like a trip to the bug reporting system is in order. If it's not already requested, place a request for that feature.

Date: January 01, 2004 11:12PM

will do

Date: January 01, 2004 11:26PM
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 08, 2004 09:50AM

OK, this will take a few steps, but it works.

To start with, if you're not on Win200 / XP, you'll need to download the Windows Scripting Host from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

Next, you need to create a .wsf file to do the shortcut creation (save it in the KM directory as e.g., desklink.wsf):

<package>
<job id="js">
<script language="JScript">
var WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
strDesktop = WshShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop");
var oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktop + "\\" + WScript.Arguments(1) + ".lnk");
oShellLink.TargetPath = WScript.Arguments(0);
oShellLink.WindowStyle = 1;
oShellLink.Hotkey = "";
oShellLink.IconLocation = "C:\\Program Files\\K-Meleon\\k-meleon.exe, 0";
oShellLink.Description = "Shortcut to " + WScript.Arguments(1);
oShellLink.WorkingDirectory = strDesktop;
oShellLink.Save();
</script>
</job>
</package>

Then you need a batch file to call the Windows Script (save it in the KM as e.g., desklink.bat):

@echo off
CScript //Nologo //Job:js desklink.wsf %1 %2

Now you need a macro to call the batch file (in macros.cfg):

$LinkURL = "";

desklink {
menu = "Send to Desktop...";
$name = prompt("Name for Desktop Shortcut:", "Shortcut prompt...", "");
$name == ? $name = "" : 0;
$LinkURL == "" ? $loc = $URL : $loc = $LinkURL;
$name != "" ? exec("desklink.bat \"" . $loc . "\" \"" . $name . "\"") : 0;
}

Now create the menu entries (menus.cfg) under DocumentPopup, FrameDocumentPopup, LinkPopup, ImageLinkPopup, FrameLinkPopup and FrameImageLinkPopup:

macros(desklink)

That's it. Now you can add pages / links to the desktop as shortcuts. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Kevin
Date: January 08, 2004 04:14PM

This is very helpful. I like KM so much, I am afraid to mess it up.

Posted by: Greg
Date: January 09, 2004 08:44PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to rightclick, copy the URL then rightclick on desktop, new shortcut and paste into the command line ?

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 10, 2004 04:35AM

Greg:

You'd have to right click to copy the link / select the urlbar and copy, right click the desktop, paste, and then type a name for the shortcut (4 steps), this way you can right click and type a name for the shortcut (2 steps). It takes a few steps to set it up, but it is a bit quicker in the long run.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: April 09, 2006 05:21PM

REMOVED

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.