General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Using Old Browsers Again Including K-Meleon ?
Posted by: callahan
Date: March 23, 2014 03:29PM

Something very interesting was posted just a short time ago at the MSFN General Discussion forum. It's called "Possible hope for old browsers".

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/2-general-discussion/

I read it and don't understand everything but I will be reading it again and spending more time looking into it. I mention it here for anyone here also wanting to check out. It basically deals with using old browsers with today's new web pages. I am wondering if it can be of any benefit to K-Meleon users. He has pictures posted where I listed the browsers.

Surfing Modern Web With Ancient Browsers

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3866

March 3, 1014

The author goes into detail but he has the following browsers working good on modern websites. Perhaps this would be of some use here to someone.

He has pictures of the following older browsers at microsoft.com ...

Internet Explorer 1.5 on microsoft.com

Yes! You can finally browse microsoft.com with IE 1.5

Or go to netscape.com in Netscape 4.x browser. This was impossible just a few hours ago!

Netscape 4 visiting netscape.com

QNX Voyager going to qnx.com

Mozilla on UnixWare

Old Firefox on Haiku

CNN on Mosaic

Apple.com using Mac Mosaic

IBM WebExplorer on OS/2

RiscOS !NetSurf on Wikipedia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 03:32PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Old Browsers Again Including K-Meleon ?
Posted by: ttttt11111
Date: March 27, 2014 05:05PM

It's a great idea, but the problem isn't the old browsers, it's people too arrogant and rude to build websites properly. If site builders adhered to standard HTML 5.0 or 4.0, their sites would work properly on any HTML 3.2 browser. Too many build for their favourite browser and don't care if it doesn't work on anything else. It's 1998 all over again, the second coming of "best viewed with _____" crap.

One of my browsers is Off By One 3.5D (HTML3.2), which hasn't been updated since January 2006. It's still useful because it doesn't contain any recent technology - no "smart" code (e.g. forced redirection) or annoying java and javascript. It's much easier to view images from sites than on "modern" browsers.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 27, 2014 09:33PM

ttttt11111
One of my browsers is Off By One 3.5D (HTML3.2), which hasn't been updated since January 2006. It's still useful because it doesn't contain any recent technology - no "smart" code (e.g. forced redirection) or annoying java and javascript. It's much easier to view images from sites than on "modern" browsers.

It's funny you mention that today, because I had a problem with tinypic and a redirection and I was like WTF.

In the end, mixing some ideas found at stackoverflow forums (most of search results come from there nowadays), it was that TinyPic overrides the HTTP Accept content sent by the browser IF they find that the User-Agent (the browser) is known. And yeah, that is what it was happening. I was using the mixed user agent K-meleon/74 Firefox/24 string and TinyPic server, instead serve the image requested, redirected to the html page that holds the image; and I was using it instead the standalone K-meleon/74 string, that I prefer, because, if not, and here comes the opposite, you can't use the reverse search engine offered by Google (even if I prefer TinEye, but sometimes I "need" to use Google's one).

So, if you visit sites as "unkown", or old browser, you have benefits sometimes and others not at all.

But instead web programming, the problem comes from the dynamic web we have now. Make all automatic and dynamic. Afterall the goal of computing is that, but sometimes it's just nonesense.

ABOUT THE MAIN TOPIC HERE

I didn't comment but the project looks interesting until you find that, in the end, you need to run some kind of web proxy server. But also has the benefits of being a CGI and being able to run on any system with a web server.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 09:37PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 29, 2014 04:16PM

Yes, I hadn't fully read to understand exactly what was involved when I posted earlier. Later I found out there is nothing currently for Windows, just OSX ... if I understand it right.

I have been using a very small browser that I use when pages don't display correctly with my KM 1.6.0 version. It is Qt Web and it works nicely for me with Windows XP. Someone mentioned it earlier and I gave it a try.

http://qtweb.net/

QtWeb Internet Browser - lightweight, secure and portable browser having unique user interface and privacy features. QtWeb is an open source project based on Nokia's Qt framework and Apple's WebKit rendering engine (the same as being used in Apple Safari and Google Chrome). QtWeb is so compact and self-sufficient (not much dependencies), that it operates perfectly in bootable Windows (WinPE-based) and Linux environments (LiveCD) and has been used in many freeware and shareware projects, like Active@ Boot Disk.

Version 3.8.5 (released on Sep 9, 2013)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 04:17PM by callahan.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 29, 2014 05:07PM

callahan
Yes, I hadn't fully read to understand exactly what was involved when I posted earlier. Later I found out there is nothing currently for Windows, just OSX ... if I understand it right.

Not exactly.

Actually is multiplatform because it can be implemented in any web server as a CGI if supports it.

In other words, you have a web server that supports CGI, then, install Phyton for Windows and as additional, as the script uses Webkit, its libraries too. And there you have the "translator" of web pages.

So, it is not limited to Mac OSx or Linux (he planned to port to) but those systems has a benefit and it's that they maybe already come with Phyton and others installed by default. Usually the libraries for this scripts (PHP, ASP, Perl, Phyton) require loads of space and that is an initial drawback. Also Webkit doesn't work on all Windows versions if I'm not wrong and there it is another drawback.

But, anyway, the project itself is not bad and very interesting. Maybe to be run on virtual machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 05:08PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 02, 2014 12:58PM

Callahan,

QTweb is fine, but getting long in the tooth. There are newer offshoots of WebKit, including my current favorite, Slimboat.

http://www.slimboat.com/en

The developers there promise yet a newer one based on Google Chrome, but with better privacy and a real file mgr toolbar, like KM. It is called SlimJet, but it has not yet been released, so merely "talkware" right now.

N

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 02, 2014 07:39PM

Qpzilla is another webkit browser for Linux, Windows, Mac.

http://www.qupzilla.com/

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: April 02, 2014 09:36PM

Thanks ndebord for posting about SlimBoat ... just finished working on some settings, have a few more to go. Seems to be a nice browser, very fast but I still have some fine tuning to do. I downloaded the portable version.

JujuLand ... I will also download Qpzilla to try ... never heard of it.

thanks ...

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 02, 2014 09:49PM

JujuLand
Qpzilla is another webkit browser for Linux, Windows, Mac.

http://www.qupzilla.com/

A+

thx for link.

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: April 03, 2014 01:34AM

Qupzilla is a keeper, it's the one I regularly use before Kmel74....................Qtbrowser don't always seem to work as good Qupzilla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 01:36AM by kingsparrow.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.