count: yes:
count: no:

Background:

siria wrote an extension for customizing the tab's tiles
This would be good to identify your various tabs - even if quite narrow, if

(a) You use favicons, and
    (b) It would be easy to configure.

Now, config proves to be quite hard on some sites
but NOT AS A SHORTCOMING OF SIRIA'S EXTENSION.

It rather seems that, so many years after the "invention" of
tabbed browsing, many webmasters / web designers do not use
the <title> tag for what it would be good for, ESPECIALLY in
tabbed browsing, namely:

the title (!), in the first place - and this latter I mean literally.

Sadly, two of the sites I use most "excel" in this respect:

(a) heise.de (though with their much smaller UK subsidiary all is oK).
    (b) kmeleon.sourceforge.net - yes, sad, but at least we can change that.

I won't put more thought into this if nobody but me uses favicons, anyway -
hence the poll. For the technicalities of configuring sirias extension
to overcome config difficulties, I'll post in the extension's thread.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 07:00PM by SoerenB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TabTitles & FavIcons
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 08, 2010 06:41PM

I do not use favicons or menu icons at all.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 08, 2010 07:22PM

Ah Soeren, thanks, but that CustomTitles of mine is quite outdated, ever since I posted that a few weeks ago I'm struggling like crazy to make customization easier and add more automatic stuff, and reduce unnecessary reloads :cool: Unfortunately it has grown again to the size of Stylebuttons, so, knowing you, you may want to delete some stuff again... ;-)

I really want to get that thing finally finished, but also wanted to include custom favicons, and that's where I'm stuck badly. Only this morning have found a javascript that finally works under certain circumstances, but unfortunately applied that way the favicons are yet ten times more buggy than the already buggy KM favicon functions sad smiley And the worst catch of all: It hardly ever works in tabs bar, only in title bar, url bar, and task bar, so pretty much useless huh. For some weird reason another icon for youtube seems to work in tabs bar, but all else needs force-reloads for each page, to update the tab icon, and even then KM quite often randomly applies the new icon to other tabs, completely unrelated!!

It's really a pity, because I have *exactly* the same needs like you with this it seems. But at least the changed titles work quite well so far ;-)
Really hope to get a postable version in the next days, but those favicons are getting on my nerves, they would be SOOO handy too, but no luck sad smiley

PS: Can you give some direct links for heise.de as example?
They seem to have the article names in their title, only "heise online -" in the beginning, is it that? Because a left-right-switch around a to-be-deleted middle part is already included in my current beta-version, although THIS is not quite as easy to configure as "simple" renaming of pages or domains ;-)
On phpbb-forums that left-right-swap works automatically though, out of the box, my absolute top highlight :cool:
It also contains now placeholders to add the filename (xy.html) or the domain dynamically in the beginning or end of the new titles, and the original title is kept in the rest...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 07:35PM by siria.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: May 15, 2010 04:37AM

when i wrote my microrss extension for KM, I was going crazy why my favicons were getting garbled. don't know if this is what you experience but i did find this out...

It turns out you must use full color (24 bit) icons or gecko chokes on them. but only for some versions, guenter could not reproduce the problem on his -de kmeleon. there is in fact no reason to not use 24 bit icons, because the color table for the lower bit depths takes up more room than just using full color. but we no control over what bit depth of icon webmasters use...

i use favicons in tabs, i hate the loading icon, just set my tabs to "Loading..."
can't say i ever notice a big problem with titling.
always use "colorful tabs" with FF.
hth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 04:39AM by snuz2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.