General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Custom K-Meleon and make it "lite"
Posted by: John
Date: May 13, 2010 09:07PM

Hi,

can I make K-meleon lite?
I want to remove as much as possible, buttons, menus, bars, icons etc.

ALSO the address bar (location bar) I want to remove.

I want to use it only for visiting one page in our work,
the old people that work with the computer will only make some works in the page that is allways open.

Therefore it is important for me to know if we could remove the location bar and all else buttons and menus... so we limit them from surfing the web. smiling smiley

thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom K-Meleon and make it "lite"
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 13, 2010 10:19PM

Yes, you can remove the URL bar (adresss/location bar), menu bar and all toolbar buttons that you want.

Read this thread about K-Meleon kiosk mode.

Also you can found a Kiosk Mode K-Meleon Extension.

If you have some problem or concrete question, you can post it in this forum.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 10:21PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 13, 2010 10:27PM

why do you want to limit the seniors from surfing other sites? this is a restriction on their rights.. are you a capitalist?!

Date: May 13, 2010 11:25PM

Hi desga2

thanks for help but I have done the -webapp test now and it has some flaws...

there are some problems with shortcut usage:

e.g.
Ctrl + G (will give you google search alternative and this means you can surf anything)
and
Ctrl + Alt + I (will send open page to internet explorer, I hate this shortcut)

(all ctrl shortcuts I tested:
ctrl i
ctrl 0
ctrl d
ctrl g
ctrl h
ctrl b
ctrl n
ctrl alt i

Thank you for helping me clear this out.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 14, 2010 01:37AM

The default files (e.g. accel.cfg and menus.cfg) are in subdirectory of ./defaults called e.g. ./settings. Have a look (accel which defines the keyboard shortcuts, you can delete or use empty one?).

(Skin) Buttons are defined in toolbars.cfg which is in a subdirectory of skins. Use empty one?

You may want to make chrome inaccessible (about : config is powerfull!), chromlite dll and xpt versions and their reduced chrome come with some private ME versions by Fred and Hao.

greetings to SE, ES & Egypt from DE (Germany)

p.s. @ disrupted - companies do not want senior staff like me 58 y.o. moron 2 have any chance to temper the browser - maybe: we know too much? Else? tongue sticking out smiley

That is ok IMHO, as long as we get a good browser 2 do our job - Ya would not want us to be forced to use IE, would Ya? grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 01:45AM by guenter.

Date: May 14, 2010 11:19AM

Thank you quenter

Well even though I ve deleted the files accel.cfg and menus.cfg still one can use the shortcut ctrl+g and ctrl+alt+i sad smiley

where are those specified ... :s

Posted by: siria
Date: May 14, 2010 12:59PM

There are some defined in macros. I suppose for your purpose you don't want any macros/add-ons anyway? Then simply disable them all, perhaps just rename or delete the macros.dll in folder kplugins, and try if the stuff still works that you need.
PS: I've seen a rather olde thread around here recently from kko or dorian, who explained what else can be deleted etc. to make kiosk-mode userproof - or perhaps it's even in the wiki somewhere now?

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 14, 2010 02:52PM

John
Well even though I ve deleted the files accel.cfg and menus.cfg still one can use the shortcut ctrl+g and ctrl+alt+i sad smiley

smiling smiley

Deactivate btw. delete.

F2 -> Macro Extension

ctrl+g = Search
ctrl+alt+i = IE

You could also deactivate the accel macro instead of deleting the accel.cfg file,
plus some other macros that You do not need & want ...

When You tried which macros You do not need & want You can delete the respective kmm in ./macros. Deletion gets You an easy setup.

Also look under F2 -> K-Meleon Plugins.

Again, when You are sure which ones You do not want or need You can delete them in kplugins.

Settings that must not permanently changed by Your users go into user.js in used profile. When You are done with the user.js. It can be placed into ./defaults/profile so that it is used when You start an new profile or redeploy. Files from there are copied to each new profile.

You could e.g. put K-Meleon into full screen mode via F11 and store the pref in user.js.

You will find links to special K-Meleons in Wiki.

K-Meleon18121forCD-kiosk
K-Meleon-NX-18124 Replacment files to disable about:config

p.s. Sorry that forgot to volunteer some info right away. Senior moments sad smiley
Feel free to ask - I probably have not thought of all.

Some more info is in past threads.

Securing locking K-Meleon.

It contains links even further back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 02:54PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 14, 2010 05:14PM

@ John:
You can found all KM default accelerators and his file definition in the KM Quick Guide.
Also remember macros can be disabled in Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins -> Macro Extension.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 05:17PM by desga2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.