General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
google analytics
Posted by: conspiracy1976
Date: May 26, 2010 04:43PM

Hello,

does anybody knows something about the addon to de-activate google analytics? right now as far as i know this addon only works for chrome, firefox and explorer. something in the working for k-meleon too? i am a new user but i am pretty hooked to it already smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: google analytics
Posted by: Doon
Date: May 27, 2010 04:23AM

I've read about it, but you can block g-tics entirely with your hosts file, as described HERE.

You can similarly block a host of other google junk as well (see google section of hosts file here).

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 27, 2010 07:22AM

this add-on is pointless. google-analytics is always served as a third-party cookie. by default kmeleon blocks those cookies(preferences>privacy>cookies>from originating webite only)

you can use doon's approach by blocking it out in hosts or you can block it manually in hostperms or you can use policy manager and create a zone where google analytics is blocked. there are several ways to block them without their add-on, not just in kmeleon but in any browser and even in firefox itself where that addon is available. the reason for such a completely useless extension is for google publicity's and display of 'good-will':
we do a lot of crap, we have zero respect for users' privacy but we offer opt-out addons to make us look good

google-analytics is the least google spying anyone has to worry about, ironically they don't offer any opt-outs methods for their real evil doings and no one even knows about them until they get busted
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10161393.stm

Date: May 27, 2010 08:10AM

thx doom and disrupted smiling smiley

i will try as suggested even i am not much of a computer wizzkid *lol* but i think i will manage how to do it smiling smiley i dont trust google much so i wanna keep those stuff out of it as much as possible but anyway those analytics somehow scares me, especially since every website is connected to it (i think). but many thanx to k-meleon programmers and users, i have learnt in a short time alot about it so i am pretty fine w/ KM and quite happy that i have joined the club, its my fave browser now smiling smiley

edited something that looked like an e-mail address smiling smiley

greetings from DE, guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 12:17AM by guenter.

Date: May 27, 2010 08:11AM

lol that was very dumb grinning smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 28, 2010 12:29AM

No smart, You asked the question @ the right place smiling smiley

p.s. & Maybe stay here and pass on what You know, like all here do.

Date: May 28, 2010 06:29AM

danke guenter smiling smiley

i didnt know how to do it myself so i am grateful that you have edited my carelessness, but i always learn it the hard way smiling smiley i like k-meleon and after a week only its the browser i am using most. and reading thru this forum was and still is a great help in do's and dont's thanx to other users experience but i still need time to familizare myself with all possibilites winking smiley

thanx @ disrupted also. i have done it the way you have suggested, it seemed to be the easiest way smiling smiley call me paranoid *lol* and yes, i am using google and their tools but i dont trust them and i want to have them out of the way as much as possible (even i am not sure if it actually IS possible) winking smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 28, 2010 08:40PM

proj,

& no special thanks needed. Users cannot edit the name field, so You could not fix.
All moderators dislike spammers & edit mail@'s.

Maybe create a real profile, that prevents such accidents.
The profile protects Your mail address (I never get any spam).

I also best learn by experience (making mistakes).grinning smiley

greetings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 09:02PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 29, 2010 03:18PM

conspiracy1976

...yes, i am using google and their tools but i dont trust them and i want to have them out of the way as much as possible (even i am not sure if it actually IS possible) winking smiley

PMFJI, but another way to reduce Google's footprint is to use Scroogle SSL instead of Google as your default engine.

https: // ssl.scroogle.org/ cgi-bin/ nbbw.cgi?Gw=

(Take the spaces out when you use Tools/Web Search/Configure/Search Engines/ ADD

to put this into your search engine list.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 03:23PM by ndebord.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.