General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Having trouble playing .wav files....
Posted by: snuz2
Date: June 05, 2010 09:35PM

Yeah, this is a little embarassing. Could someone help me to get a webpage with embedded wave files to work?

The files are .wav, MIME type is audio/x-wave. I'm looking for a way to get them to play without invoking an external player or at least minimizing the player when they are played. I can get them to play in mplayer2 or coolplayer, but not the WMP plugin where I suspect they should be sent...or some more basic default player.

The page has clickable links that look like:
javascript:top.ExtSound('snd/a.wav');
and an extra tab that supposed to embed the sound player maybe, but it has no js or anything else, just an empty page...

This is the site:
http://www.langintro.com/kintro/index.htm
go to the Korean alphabet link and then to syllable to see an example.

My particulars: W98 running KM 1.5.4, wmp 9 dll associations
File name: npdsplay.dll
MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/asx Media Files * Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes
video/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yes
video/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wma Media Files wma,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wax Media Files wax,* Yes
video/x-ms-wmv Media Files wmv,* Yes
video/x-ms-wvx Media Files wvx,* Yes

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Having trouble playing .wav files....
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 06, 2010 02:17AM

From my first steps on Internet, Quicktime has been the player/plugin for wav and midi.

You'll need the npqtplugin.dll file for wav.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 02:18AM by JohnHell.

Date: June 06, 2010 08:04PM

I installed disrupted's km-wmp plugins, they appear on the about:plugins. but I can't get them to work either, the sound file just downloads into the window! furthermore, if I go to Preferences:file Handling the whole list is now blank !

Where does one get this QT plugin? I missed it on plugins page, it's not part of a 200MB download from Apple that won't run on W98 is it???

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 06, 2010 08:19PM
Posted by: slayer
Date: June 07, 2010 03:16AM

The download link to the ActiveX4WPM in JujuLand's site redirects to another site (the file is not there).
The file npdsplay.zip (WMP 9x) from http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm is also missing.

Date: June 07, 2010 05:41AM

ditto. why is this plugin (ax) not included on the plugins page? nevermind, i found it:
here

also it seems the browser can play midi files like the one on the site guenter refers to, it seems very odd that mozilla can't play a wav file natively, i mean, does one need a plugin to view jpg? it's kind of crazy, is this because .wav is a MS format? 8^(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 05:47AM by snuz2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 07, 2010 04:54PM

i don't think it's an ms format.. i think the reason for no native support in mozilla goes back many years (netscape) in allowing companies to supply plugins..beatnik was a popular one at the time.

the hexed wmp plugin that supports wav requires at least windows media player 9 on win 9x or nt.
note, there's a different version for 9x:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/np-kmwmp9x.7z

quicktime plugin can also be used to play waves but it isn't a standalone plugin and will require quicktime to be installed. since apple products are a crazy idea on windows(creates big mess). quicktime alternative is the best choice

you'll need a relativelty older qt alternative version for 9x, this one should work fine:
http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-quicktime-alternative-windows-98.php

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 07, 2010 07:06PM

disrupted
i don't think it's an ms format.. i think the reason for no native support in mozilla goes back many years (netscape) in allowing companies to supply plugins..beatnik was a popular one at the time.
Wasn't only for midi?
disrupted
the hexed wmp plugin that supports wav requires at least windows media player 9 on win 9x or nt.
note, there's a different version for 9x:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/np-kmwmp9x.7z
As it never worked good enough under Windows 2000, for me, I didn't recommend this.
disrupted
quicktime plugin can also be used to play waves but it isn't a standalone plugin and will require quicktime to be installed. since apple products are a crazy idea on windows(creates big mess). quicktime alternative is the best choice

True, I assumed "QT alternative". My fault confused smiley

disrupted
you'll need a relativelty older qt alternative version for 9x, this one should work fine:
http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-quicktime-alternative-windows-98.php

Date: June 08, 2010 04:05AM

Well,even after finding and installing the activeX plugin. the wmp plugins aren't doing anything. i am using wmp 9. and the hexed plugins are 9xA and 9xB versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 04:06AM by snuz2.

Date: June 08, 2010 11:53AM

i'm not sure john, you're probbaly right..was either crescendo or beatnik..one was for midi and kars and the other was for mpegs, both annoying little buggers and not always stable

snuz, i think i dound the problem..there were conflicts with a and b as 9x has limits in association numbers in np plugins..hence 2 files.

i made a new one and tested on 9x and should work fine, download from this link:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/npdsplay2.zip

before downloading it, please follow these steps to ensure it will be registered properly and not conflict with previous versions:

1- go to kmeleon\plugins folder and delete both a and b versions(np-kmwmpA9x.dll and np-kmwmpB9x.dll)

2- in kmeleon, click on edit>configuration>directories or folders>profile directory. this will open the kmeleon profile folder, go up one level and delete this file: pluginreg.dat

3- exit kmeleon

4- download npdsplay2 and extract npdsplay2.dll in kmeleon\plugins folder

5- open kmeleon and click on help>about plugins to register your plugins

when testing, it's better to avoid local embeded htm or media files due to a bug in np plugins in general parsing certain paths with special characters or length or containing spaces, so it's best to test online.

i made test pages for some formats at this link:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/tests/medianptests
you can use to test if the plugin is registered/functioning properly..just open the htm pages for corresponding formats.

to avoid bugs, the new version associates common formats and omits lesser ones like ogg, vp6.. new version supports, aif, au, wav, midi/kar, mpg, avi, mp3

note, this version does not require wmp9 and will function just fine with out wmp installed. it's not really specific to win 9x and will work just fine with nt4 and 2000.. it should also work with xp/vista without any problems if you prefer classic player ui over wmp and do not really need all formats registered with the regular nt km-wmp plugin

Posted by: slayer
Date: June 09, 2010 01:18AM

I've tested the new np plugin disrupted, and it works great with the pages you made. Thanks a lot!. In the page that snuz2 posted, the WAVs are opened with my default player (xmlpay.exe)

Date: June 09, 2010 06:51PM

thanks slayer for testing.. gary's link doesn't use embed media so it opens according to mime setting.. my setting also opens them externally with local player. better that way i think than to open the plugin in different tab unless page specifically asks for the file to be played with plugin

Date: June 16, 2010 07:00AM

yeah, it doesn't even embed in IE. I was just confused because the blank page that the sound loads over says: "Player will appear here". But it does surprise me that apparently no browser can natively play a .wav file.

I set the mime type editor to bring up the super compact version of mplayer2, and I'm happy with that. I was just hoping there would be some command line switch to start it minimized.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.