Which K-Meleon should I use?
Posted by: Jennifer
Date: May 13, 2014 04:08AM

I have been using 1.6.0 Beta 2 for many years.

I decided to take a look at the forums, and there are so many new versions!

1.6.0 Beta 2.6, 1.6db+NS, 16-S2014, 1.7.0a2, 1.7db, 1.8.0 Build 19, 74 Beta 3, maybe even more!

Which one should I use? Which is best? Thanks.

Re: Which K-Meleon should I use?
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: May 13, 2014 04:28AM

You should upgrade to 74 Beta 3 and apply the two updates whose URLs are in the thread regarding it.

Posted by: Jennifer
Date: May 13, 2014 08:46PM

OK. I understand that 74 Beta 3 is based on Firefox 24 ESR, and is the way forward. Thanks.

Among the rest, is there one that is based on Firefox 3.6.28/Gecko 1.9.2.28? If not, what's the version with the most recent 1.9.2.x Gecko?

Thanks.

Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: May 15, 2014 11:52AM

And what is v1.80 based on? That does get confusing with all of these different forks.

I've been using Pale Moon x64 on Vista Ultimate now (give me a good reason to switch back) smiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 15, 2014 03:50PM

Jody Thornton
And what is v1.80 based on? That does get confusing with all of these different forks.

In Firefox too. The GRE used in 1.8 is higher than in the K-meleon 74 branch just because Dorian is using the Extended Suppport Release (24ESR) but, actually, both are quite similar in up to date (or not up to date).

The main difference..., you'll have to test. 1.8 is more like 1.6 and K-meleon 74 is, maybe, just maybe a better aproach to the new Firefox GRE. I don't know exactly, but we can consider the 74 more official release than 1.8. But saying this, maybe I'm offending the group behind 1.8, that had its own work.

I won't try to give reasons. If you were using K-meleon in the past, the core of it, the browser you control, is still there in the same way. It just has been updated to the new GREs. Both 1.8 and K-meleon 74.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 16, 2014 12:40PM

1.8 and 74 are IMHO much the same code. If I look at their exe properties?

Both version 74.0.0.0 internally says my windows.

74: Dorian wants to make fun of the high numbers of other browser vendors.
He uses the ESR 24 GRE because that is easier to maintain for some time.
Up to date security patches and no other changes. XP SP3 or higher.

In the distant past there were flame wars about using "official" numbers but this has changed. Most un-official alternatives/variants in the recent past choose a lower version than the official, them same with some extra letter or only an incrementally higher number than the last official version - even when they used a newer GRE. That is what aduapan did.

1.8: adodupan chose the traditional next open number. His version tries to support the older windows 2k if it uses a Kernel extenders.

I do not know whether it is called fork. adodupan's fixes for the about: page were ported into official when someone noticed that it already works there.

There is also a 1.0 version of Hao Jiang's CCF. Has Lua Macro instead...
The download link did not work for me. My guess that is also much the same exe and code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 12:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: May 16, 2014 11:31PM

guenter
1.8: adodupan chose the traditional next open number. His version tries to support the older windows 2k if it uses a Kernel extenders.
Does it mean it's better to take 1.8 than 74 for W98SE?

Date: May 19, 2014 10:01PM

Mikk
guenter
Does it mean it's better to take 1.8 than 74 for W98SE?

2K = Win2000 not win98 with kernel Ex. siria is the person to consult for win98 with kernel Ex. She claims that 74 does not run. 1.8 will install under Win2000.

So You can possibly install with no problem with kernel Ex and fake Win2000.
Whether it will run?

The problem for me is that 4 Win2000 I need kernel extenders and changes that are not available in German. Only Japanese, Chinese and English. I intend to resource hack (to German - I only have to change/strings to German) what is needed by me as soon as I find time. But that is of low urgency for me now.

See here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127127,127760,page=9#msg-127760

p.s. I have looked, the sites only offer German for a version that I do not have.

But I have the info/links I need.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 19, 2014 10:38PM

But, what do you mean by the language?, the language of the dll wrappers?, because if it is that, don't bother. I mean, my system is in spanish and there are no problems.

What it is the important of the language of a dlls (any dll, not only wrappers) is mainly for messages of errors or informational purposes. You can have dlls of every language in your system and still will run.

I show you a simple example, run dxdiag and go to the second tab, are all files in German? I answer you: no. There is not need.

I'll bet you have loads of programs with dlls language in english right now in your system.

Obviously, you don't want a dll in japanese, but at least in english...

Date: May 20, 2014 06:01PM

JohnHell
But, what do you mean by the language?, the language of the dll wrappers?, because if it is that, don't bother. I mean, my system is in spanish and there are no problems.

What it is the important of the language of a dlls (any dll, not only wrappers) is mainly for messages of errors or informational purposes. You can have dlls of every language in your system and still will run.

I show you a simple example, run dxdiag and go to the second tab, are all files in German? I answer you: no. There is not need.

I'll bet you have loads of programs with dlls language in english right now in your system.

Obviously, you don't want a dll in japanese, but at least in english...

No Your wrappers are just fine!

But there are more updates in dedicated installers.

Greyfootcat
You can run K-Meleon on W2K with the 5.2 pack
http://www.windows2000.tk/index.html

2k many resources here: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/

They will not work. They will say this update file is not for Youre language or Windows version. Then they will undo the install and reboot. Except if the people that made them did not work like MS. 5.2 pack will probably not work. But it can be unpacked.

I will also try to unpack the German Service pack for servers. IMHO that came from MS originally but was later published by others. Then I can install the compatible files manually. Most of the dll should be the same.

Else I will exchange the resources from the core dll English version with resource hacker. I can probably also do that for Japanese files. I had to know which is which. And I have a kernel update 5 in English now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 06:05PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.