General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon Not Rendering On YouTube
Posted by: DasFox
Date: June 30, 2010 04:31AM

On YouTube's Home page on the upper right side of the page there is a image that you click to go to a video that is not being shown, or depending on the version of Firefox you get a video, either way none of it shows up for KM on YouTube, it's missing this...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Not Rendering On YouTube
Date: June 30, 2010 04:33AM

Here big red question mark in the screenshot where it's suppose to be:

http://img228.imageshack.us/f/50934173.jpg/

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 30, 2010 12:24PM

this isn't a km rendering bug. it's a false positive in an adblockplus subscription(i think cedrics).. if you disable adbp, you will see the featured video class.

with abp enabled

with abp disabled

to fix it, add youtube to abp whitelist..either by rightclicking on abp statusbar icon and select disable for this website(or something in that sense)..or manually adding youtube to the white list:

1- open kmeleon profile folder(edit>configuration>profile directory)
2- in there you will find a folder called 'adblockplus'
3- open the adblockplus folder and you will find a file called patterns.ini
4- close k-meleon
5- open patterns.ini in notepad
6- search for 'whitelist'

7- under the white list add a youtube entry:
@@|http://*.youtube.com/

8- save patterns.ini

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 30, 2010 01:47PM

@ disrupted

I also cannot see the item which DasFox mentions. I do not have any add block running. I don't use AddBlockPlus or CSS add blocking. I am using KM 1.6.0a4

I see a single line border display for only an instant during load and then it goes away.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 30, 2010 05:54PM

That's funny... While playing around with it, youtube somehow disabled the CSS completely, creating some sort of mobile view! Which only went away after deleting the youtube cookies! Especially the one named something with "VISITOR-INFO". Not sure but I suspect it has to do with that country question they posed me in the beginning, and which needed javascript to disable that message box, but JS I kept blocked tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, after forcing myself to switch JS ON, and toggling the native KM-AdBlock OFF, there appeared a big white space, which has a link to doubleclick.net, the google-youtube ad-company IIRC. No wonder AdBlock blocks it.
But why I still only see a white space after allowing ads, not sure, perhaps because I still have the doubleclick-net cookies blocked permanently? But that wouldnt make much sense for them, they DO want to force their ads on visitors, so no idea. Or perhaps it's due to my old flash9?
Anyway, I'm not eager to see that ad at all tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 30, 2010 09:54PM

The only thing I have in KM is an Orbit plugin, I don't have any adblock installed that is why I reported it as a bug because it is.

THANKS

Date: June 30, 2010 10:29PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 10:30PM by siria.

Date: July 01, 2010 02:07AM

siria

What was this reply all about? LOL...

Date: July 01, 2010 02:48AM

I hope the developers are seeing this beause the 1.6.0 isn't rendering this also, so I really hope this problem is going to be fixed before it comes out...

THANKS

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: July 01, 2010 02:55AM

Did you try "Accept all cookies" ?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: July 01, 2010 03:09AM

SoerenB
Did you try "Accept all cookies" ?

I don't see any "Accept all cookies" section. In the Preferences - Privacy & Security, this is all I see, "Accept Cookies" section and it's either 'Always' - or 'From the originating website only' and I've tried both of those with no luck.

Date: July 01, 2010 09:11AM

it's either 'Always'
- that's what I meant. Did you empty the cache & restart KM (& kill the loader, if you use it) before trying next time?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: July 04, 2010 01:23AM

SoerenB

it's either 'Always'
- that's what I meant. Did you empty the cache & restart KM (& kill the loader, if you use it) before trying next time?

This happens in the 1.6.0 Dev version, has nothing to do with me.

I've cleaned everything and I don't use the loader...

Date: July 04, 2010 08:45AM

Hi, DasFox,

I now must admit I did not really try any of the remedies I suggested - because that would have implied lowering my defences against ads. I don't see an image or a video there, too.

Now, having tried to change things to really see what you say should be seen, I found out:

here the image/video is missing on ALL browsers I tried: KM 1.60a4, IE8, and a fresh install of KM 1.53.
On the other hand, I DO see something there: A link named "Advertisement" ("Werbung" in the german installations) leading to
wxw.youtube.com/t/ads_preferences (replace the "x")
which is the page where you can edit your prefs concerning youtube/google ads.

Well, I could not test those settings:

Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact googleads.g.doubleclick.net.

which, of course, is the effect I desired when adding "127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net" to my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

And I'm not going to change that.

But, having learnt all this, I do presume that SOME security software/setting on your machine blocks access to doubleclick.net - for K-Meleon. Tried other browsers than Firefox? Tried Firefox recently? If the blocking happens on all Browsers BUT Firefox: do you have NoScript installed there? If so, what happens if you uninstall NoScript?

If nothing of this brings you any further, I give up ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: July 05, 2010 05:52AM

I only use IE, FF and KM, KM is the only one giving me problems with this...

Date: July 05, 2010 08:43AM

myself
SOME security software/setting on your machine blocks access to doubleclick.net - for K-Meleon
- not for 2 of the known popular browsers ...

btw, did you try with flashblock disabled?

Maybe this even needs a broader perspective ... firewall, security suite, webWasher, antiSpyWare prog? Any of those blocking doubleclick.net content, with exceptions defined for exactly those images/videos, in a limited group of browsers?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 09:20AM by SoerenB.

Date: July 05, 2010 08:29PM

Well, I opened the profile folder of KM16a4 and renamed the hostperm.1 to disable it (have a block there for "doubleclick" ad cookies). Restarted browser and disabled also the native AdBlock (F2 > Content Filters > CSS AdBlocking, or in Tools>Privacy>Block Advertisements, about that menu entry I'm not sure if added by myself or native).

Now there is *something* on that corner with a link to doubleclick-ads, a tiny video thumbnail, but its below the text "advertisement", not above, hmm.... Perhaps that's something else, or perhaps the layout was changed, no idea??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 08:31PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.