General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How do I save the Groups of URLS?
Posted by: gregf
Date: April 22, 2010 09:38AM

Can anyone help me in figuring out how to save all of my "Groups" of bookmarks? I have a ton of "groups" of URLS that I want to save or back them up. I would like to save them in HTML like the bookmarks under the Bookmarks menu. Also, where are the Groups stored in my hard drive? Can't seem to find them. Any help by anyone would be greatly appeciated... Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I save the Groups of URLS?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 22, 2010 10:53AM

Your bookmarks are stored in a file named "bookmarks.html" in your profile. To find your profile folder try EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. I am not sure about groups. If they are folders within bookmarks.html then backing up the the file should include them.

Sorry if this is not enough information. I use Favorites rather than bookmarks, so others may be able to give you more help.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 22, 2010 05:28PM

What groups are you talking of exactly - do you have the groups macro installed...?

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 22, 2010 06:22PM

gregf
Can anyone help me in figuring out how to save all of my "Groups" of bookmarks? I have a ton of "groups" of URLS that I want to save or back them up.

I would like to save them in HTML like the bookmarks under the Bookmarks menu. Also, where are the Groups stored in my hard drive? Can't seem to find them.

? You mean sessions?

Groups plugin was used by older K-Meleon versions.

Sessions (before that groups) are stored in prefs.js in used profile.

No automated way to export available - You could backup Your prefs.js or copy the segment that holds Your sessions/groups to a text file.

I'd open them, bookmark each URL and store/group them into bookmarks folders with a nick.

The use of these bookmarks folders is explained here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,106073

In a nutshell: Bookmarks folder with nick is another format that K-Meleon can use as sessions/groups. Up - It is more durable way to store sessions and can be edited. Down - more overhead to create.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 06:24PM by guenter.

Date: August 03, 2010 10:40AM

Dear Guenter...

Thank you so much for your response and my apology for getting back on this forum so late to find your prompt answer. My computer crashed and I'm just now getting back on my "feet".

I should have been more specific about my K-Meleon environment. I am using an old version of K-Meleon, Version 1.5.1 with the Groups plug-in installed. This plug-in works beautifully. But I could never figure out where these bookmarks were being stored.

I sensed that my computer was acting up so I started backing things up but didn't make in time. I just now (2 months since my initial post here) been able to access my hard drive. So I was hoping to recover my bookmarks that I've accumulated using the Groups plug-in. Is there any hope for me???

Thanks again for any added help. ... Greg

Date: August 03, 2010 10:48AM

Dear Siria

As I mentioned to Guenter on this thread...

"I should have been more specific about my K-Meleon environment. I am using an old version of K-Meleon, Version 1.5.1 with the Groups plug-in installed. This plug-in works beautifully. But I could never figure out where these bookmarks were being stored."

Siria...thank you for responding to my request for help and my apology for getting back to this forum so late. Any ideas you may have on how I can recover my bookmarks created with the Groups plug-in would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again for any added help. ... Greg

Date: August 03, 2010 11:06AM

Hi JamesD...

I want to thank you for your help but I first want to apologize for getting back to this forum so late to read your advice. As I told the other folks here who where kind enough to responded to my "call for help"...

"I should have been more specific about my K-Meleon environment. I am using an old version of K-Meleon, Version 1.5.1 with the Groups plug-in installed. This plug-in works beautifully, but I could never figure out where these bookmarks were being stored. "

So I'm hoping that I can recover my bookmarks that I created using this Groups plug-in. Another thing is that I can't launch K-meleon any more (ver 1.5.1). My computer is so messed up (Windows XP Pro) that I'm just happy having access to my hard drive so I can start copying stuff out to my external hard drive in preparation of doing a clean format and re-install of Windows. I wonder -- if I installed the latest version of K-Meleon - will it migrate my bookmarks automatically?? I know - wishfull thinking :-)

Thank you in advance for any more ideas on recovering these bookmarks.
...Greg :s

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 03, 2010 11:43AM

@ gregf

If you were using Groups2.kmm the information is stored in your profile. Look in the file "prefs.js" with Notepad or some other editor. The lines that begin with user_pref("k-meleon_Groups2 contain the groups information. Just copy thoes lines into prefs.js in your current profile.

Date: August 06, 2010 06:50PM

Hi JamesD...

Thank you very much! There they are! I'll just copy them out and install them on my new laptop....thank again!!! ...greg

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.